Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott has eliminated the all-inclusive reward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott has eliminated the all-inclusive reward

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2011, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Retracted

Last edited by VickiSoCal; Oct 20, 2011 at 4:23 pm
Old Oct 20, 2011, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I just did quick search and can't find any paid all-inclusive rates at Curacao or St. Kitts. Looks like they may be discontinuing the entire AI progam, not just awards? Lack of popularity, too difficult to manage? Who can say.
I found a page: http://www.marriott.com/hotel/all-in...e-vacations.mi

Bookable using code 'NCL'
Old Oct 20, 2011, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Were you able to find a hotel and date that would take the code?

Never mind I found some- so it looks like they are still allowing a booking for $$$.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge
Hi all,

For those of you who have an existing reservation with plans to use the All Inclusive package, the AI reward will be honored for your stay. So this would be for an existing 5 or 7 night redemption reservation booked prior to Oct. 17, 2011 at one of the AI participating properties. The reward does have to be requested and issued on your account by January 17, 2012.

I hope this helps those who were planning to use the reward for an upcoming stay.

Kind regards,

Marie
Sure looks like Marriott is in the lead for the race to the bottom.

Be sure to send your displeasure in how this devaluation was snuck in with zero notice in the form of a letter Mr. Marriott's attention at corporate. I'll be doing that tomorrow.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 5:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Have you seen Hilton's recent enhancements to their awards program? I would put their BS excuse for less standard room award availability ahead of Marriott's unannounced elimination of the all-inclusive award.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Realistically this is a small change that affects 7 hotels out of thousands. And I would bet a very small percentage of people booking awards at those hotels even knew about the availablity of these add on AI awards let alone booked one. They weren't exactly easy to find on the website or promoted in any way. I understand that people here at FT knew about them and may have been counting on or planning on using them someday, but again we are a pretty small percentage of MR members, and even most of us weren't all that interested in these awards.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 5:56 pm

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
and even most of us weren't all that interested in these awards.
I have eaten the food at St. Kitts and Curacao and have no idea why anyone would want to every day. Far far far better options.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Very bad form to implement this with no advance warning.
Indeed!!!

I've been selling Marriott to others on several points including that "Marriott will always give more than ample warning for program changes so members can plan for them"; now I feel sort of stabbed in the back with this. It's not that the all-inclusive award is all that important to me personally, it's the principle of now no longer knowing whether my points will be devalued overnight without any warning.

I'm still vested in Marriott as my primary hotel program and there's still much to love about them, but there's a lower level of trust now and I'm looking to hedge my bets to divide up at least some of my stays with other programs.

Very sad to see something like this happen in this way.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 6:32 pm
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
I have mixed review on this. I got great response and assistance from concierge and customer service, so the Marriott people are great.
But whoever signed off on this decision to discontinue, mid month, with no warning should join whoever signed off on the new web site in the unemployment line.

The AI was not that great a value, so my guess is that the majority of people hit are their most frequent travelers. Bad form and bad business.

Last edited by rthib; Oct 20, 2011 at 9:44 pm
Old Oct 20, 2011, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by hnewman
I have eaten the food at St. Kitts and Curacao and have no idea why anyone would want to every day. Far far far better options.
Using airline points with Marriott AI you could truly take a vacation for $5 per person to a tropical destination. For those of us who are frugal, AIs were a great way to take a vacation on the cheap.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 8:02 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by hnewman

With 1-2MM points balances-I enjoy travel packages and enjoyED AI's. The times I used them, I did not eat in the hotel every day/meal, but when I wanted a drink, I got one. If the kids wanted to stay and eat, they did. If we wanted to dine out on the town, we did. I didnt feel "locked" into ONLY eating at the hotel...YMMV.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
With 1-2MM points balances-I enjoy travel packages and enjoyED AI's. The times I used them, I did not eat in the hotel every day/meal, but when I wanted a drink, I got one. If the kids wanted to stay and eat, they did. If we wanted to dine out on the town, we did. I didnt feel "locked" into ONLY eating at the hotel...YMMV.
I agree with this totally. The food in St. Kitts is decent - not spectacular - particularly for a whole week. Los Suenos is worse - mostly because of lack of variety. But, there is something "vacationy" about letting my kids knock down $12 smoothies and having as much food/drink as we felt like without worrying about it from a financial perspective.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 8:27 am

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
As others have said bad form about changes with no announcements AND needing an FT'er making a reservation, or at least trying to make a res, to hear about it.

At a minimum we should have been given 90 days, heck, even 30 days. I've used my points recently for the gift cert's but had though about going back to Aruba next spring and using the AI as we've used that option a few years ago and loved it.

Uggg.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA exp(6mm), United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
The issue here isn't the poor food at the resort. I also chose to eat outside of the resorts when I stayed there. The issue is Marriott's attempt to "sneak one by" their customer base. No excuses, e.g. low usage etc. It is just a matter of acting ethically or not. In this case it was "or not." For the changes to the website, corporations make unintelligent decisions, just like people. Kudos to Marriott for admitting it and correcting it. (I assume they will) For welching on a commitment to their customer base, it is clear that Marriott may have a new found direction. For this we all need to place a watchful eye on the program and act a little more conservatively with MR, until such time as they choose to be worthy of our trust again. The issue here was the notice given, plain and simple; which was none. As others have stated, very bad form.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge
Hi all,

For those of you who have an existing reservation with plans to use the All Inclusive package, the AI reward will be honored for your stay. So this would be for an existing 5 or 7 night redemption reservation booked prior to Oct. 17, 2011 at one of the AI participating properties. The reward does have to be requested and issued on your account by January 17, 2012.

I hope this helps those who were planning to use the reward for an upcoming stay.

Kind regards,

Marie
This whole thing STINKS.

How many book the nights then months later book the AI package? Very few I am sure. This is no consolation to those of use where were planning on booking the whole package in the near future.

Just one more reason I am re-evaluating my Marriott relationship. I moved most of my business to IC last year and have had few regrets.

I guess time to move my Ritz stay next week to the IC as a form of silent protest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.