Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

What's the most luxurious Marriott property regardless of location?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the most luxurious Marriott property regardless of location?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:39 am

Programs: Avis First, Hertz Gold, Marriott Platinum, US Airways Platinum, AA Platinum, UA Silver, Hilton Diamo
Originally Posted by rubesl
Emphatic +1!
+1

Stayed at the JW Phuket and the JW Bangkok. Got free breakfast at each and a free happy hour at the JW BKK (this was in 2008).
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:29 pm

Programs: aa advantage, marriott rewards
Just returned from a European trip. My vote goes to the AC Santa Mauro in Madrid. It was built as a palace, converted to an Embassy and now it's a hotel. Hands down the most luxurious hotel I've ever stayed in. Free breakfast every day for Plat's, fantastic gardens to sit and have a cocktail, about four fantastic sitting rooms with the most opulent decor I've ever seen in a hotel.

Did I mention the cocktails? I ordered a Gin & tonic when we first arrived. The waiter comes out to the garden where we were sitting with a tray full of items. The usual cocktail nuts and a bowl of absolutely delicious olives. Then I noticed he brought out a small stemmed vase. I was wondering what he was going to do with that because he didn't have any flowers and there already were flowers on the table. He fills up the vase with ice and proceeds to fill the vase halfway up with Gin. I had to ask for another bottle of tonic to mellow it out a little.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by travelexpert
The JW in Guanacaste, Costa Rica is also very good, especially if you can get a beachfront room.
Does it offer free breakfast for Plat? (JW Phuket does)
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by iztok
Does it offer free breakfast for Plat? (JW Phuket does)
That would be a no. We did get a terrific upgrade to a 1 bedroom suite with a private plunge pool, however, even though we stayed on points.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 8:34 am

Programs: Avis First, Hertz Gold, Marriott Platinum, US Airways Platinum, AA Platinum, UA Silver, Hilton Diamo
Some photos from my stay at the JW BKK and JW Phuket ....

JW BKK

BKK Lobby Entrance

BKK (I believe I was in a deluxe room):

View from the concierge outdoor balcony

Pool/hot tub at JW BKK on the 9th floor

JW Phuket

Room at the JW Phuket - not sure what type it was but it was next to the adult pool with the bar in the pool

Pool - it actually turns and goes to the left and is quite large (don't have good photos of this). Below you'll see the concrete jut out and this is actually an area which bubbles and somewhat serves as an in pool massage lounge.

Pool Bar

Somewhat of a kids pool

This was always a quiet area and somewhat tucked away by some of the shops

The beach

View from the lobby looking towards the ocean - popular spot to watch the sunset

Hope this helps! By far the most beautiful Marriott (and resort in general) I've ever been to.

Last edited by xtremeski2001; Oct 15, 2011 at 8:40 am
Old Oct 18, 2011, 1:09 am

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
The Marriott in Curacao is not luxurious but has shore diving and I hear great things about the dive operator at the hotel. (We only snorkeled)
Hey--this post is about LUXURIOUS Marriott properties--not dive operators.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iztok
Is there any Marriott property in the Americas that one can do some scuba diving (prefer shore diving so I don't have to spend $ on boat fees and it is more flexible).
There's just not that many that offer shore diving, so I was stretching a little.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
For a domestic U.S. option, how about the Beaux Arts in Miami, with its Bang & Olufson electronics, loaner I-Pad and Molton Brown products (not to mention the NBA-regulation-sized private basketball court)?
Old Oct 18, 2011, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
For a domestic U.S. option, how about the Beaux Arts in Miami, with its Bang & Olufson electronics, loaner I-Pad and Molton Brown products?
Now we're talking! Looked at some photographs--FANTASTIC!

No wonder the owners did not want to include the word "Marriott" in the hotel name.....
Old Oct 19, 2011, 8:55 pm

I've had my eye on Scrub Island BVI. Please post if you decide to stay.

For domestic options, you might try the Palm Beach Marriott Singer Island.

Last edited by Hawkeye2; Oct 19, 2011 at 9:17 pm
Old Oct 22, 2011, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I went and took a look at the JW Phuket info and it does look fantastic!

One thing to note though is that the rooms themselves are quite affordable (based on a quick scan of spring 2012 rates & today's exchange rate, I was seeing prices as low as $135 a night). So if you're looking for "best bang for your points" you might want to focus on someplace else.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 1:42 am

Is that all there is?

If so, I have to conclude that luxury and Marriott are almost always mutually exclusive.....
Old Dec 14, 2011, 6:44 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by travelexpert
Is that all there is?
If you want Luxury, then as already mentioned, you will find that Marriott's Ritz Carlton brand will have a lot of options for you (given it is Marriott's luxury brand). Unfortuntely, they will also tend to cost more points (though I would suggest checking to see which ones might have Point Saver awards for the dates you would be looking for.)

Another option is checking out Marriott's Autograph Collection hotels. I would guess these hotels are Marriott's version of the Starwood "Luxury Collection" brand of hotels. So you will again find some very nice upper-end hotels. I'm not sure how many Marriott has so far, but I would think it is somewhere around 20-30 hotels so far.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:16 pm

JW in Phuket was a wonderful hotel. We originally planned to stay a week and ended up extending by a few days. When we were there (2008), they had two elephants on property, which I have heard are no longer there. They were the absolute highlight of our entire SE Asia trip that year and while I loved the hotel, I'm not sure I'd want to go back there, knowing I wouldn't see them again.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
For a domestic U.S. option, how about the Beaux Arts in Miami, with its Bang & Olufson electronics, loaner I-Pad and Molton Brown products (not to mention the NBA-regulation-sized private basketball court)?
That sounds awesome. I will check that next time I am down there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.