Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Buying Marriott Points - How Many Do?

Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat

Debating whether to purchase marriott points (as I would like to have extra for emergencies). Curious how many buy the 50k/yr for $600 or so?

I know for every $2500 I spend I roughly get 50k points, so I know it's not the greatest deal, but still not horrible deal.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 2:14 pm

Programs: MR LT Platinum, HH Diamond, WN A-List,
I have purchased points in the past to be able to redeem a "travel package" reward. The main reason that I went ahead and purchased the points was so I could be sure to get the flight that I wanted with the airline miles.

While it was nice to have the points available when I wanted them I doubt that I would purchase points to just have spares. That being said personally it is not likely I would have a emergency that required me using my Marriott points and could not be paid for in cash.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 3:19 pm

Programs: MR Plat, PC Plat
I often buy points as I figure my redemption value is better than the $.125 ($.118 if you get the 5pt bonus from the CC) I pay for the points.

Basically -- $625 buys you anywhere from 5 nights at a cat 2 to 2 nights at a category 5 (and no lodging tax) which can often be a good deal.

If you get enough points from business travel, or need the nights to qualify for elite status, it's less of a good deal.

The points you purchase also count towards your point requirement for LT status, so that may be a benefit in some situations.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:57 am

Does Marriott ever run “sales” on buying points?

(SPG points usually sell for 3.5¢ each, but once or twice a year they offer them at 20% off for 2.8¢ each.)

Also, does the purchase from points.com definitely qualify for the 5-point reward on a Marriott credit card?

(Points.com purchases of SPG points don't qualify for double Starpoints with an SPG AmEx.)

Last edited by Moriens; Sep 27, 2011 at 12:59 am Reason: CC question
Old Sep 27, 2011, 1:36 am

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
I did buy a bunch before the prices went up (I believe used to be $10 per 1,000), specifically to redeem for travel packages where the additional miles earned are extremely favorable.

But do the math for a specific stay or package. For example, if you are going to stay at a property in London where the rates are exorbitant but points redemption is available--it may well be worthwhile.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by travelexpert
But do the math for a specific stay or package. For example, if you are going to stay at a property in London where the rates are exorbitant but points redemption is available--it may well be worthwhile.
+1. As Marriott FTers know I stay in London a lot. A few times I was short on points for stays at my beloved Grosvenor House. It was cheaper to buy the points I was short than try to get a bunch of paid stays to make up the difference (the paid stays would have cost more than buying the points).

Cheers.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 6:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by travelexpert
I did buy a bunch before the prices went up (I believe used to be $10 per 1,000), specifically to redeem for travel packages where the additional miles earned are extremely favorable.

And the number of points to purchase was unlimited, correct? I missed the boat then. It would be worth buying enough points for a travel package if one could get int'l 1st class tix.

Now they are more expensive and limited!
Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
And the number of points to purchase was unlimited, correct? I missed the boat then. It would be worth buying enough points for a travel package if one could get int'l 1st class tix.

Now they are more expensive and limited!
It's $12.50/1000 vs $10/1000. So a bit more, but not excessively so.

I don't ever remember them being unlimited.

Cheers.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 11:35 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Marriott used to allow you to buy an unlimited number of points. Per the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...enny-each.html thread, I think the limit came through back in 2007. (So it was quite a bit ago, but there was a time when there wasn't a limit.)
Old Sep 28, 2011, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Marriott used to allow you to buy an unlimited number of points. Per the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...enny-each.html thread, I think the limit came through back in 2007. (So it was quite a bit ago, but there was a time when there wasn't a limit.)
Ah, I hadn't bought any until then - or didn't notice that they used to be unlimited. Thanks for the update.

Cheers.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 3:57 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver, Starwood Preferred Guest Plus, Hilton HHonors Gold
I had a reward stay booked for the Bournemouth Marriott Highcliff (UK) in August but was short of a few thousand points so purchased them rather than pay the cash rate. The points purchased cost around £140 and got me 2 extra nights where as the cash rate would have cost me £360.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 6:59 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
I have never purchased a single Marriott point... I think if I were right on the cusp of an award, I might do it. But something about "buying points" just doesn't sit right with me!
Old Sep 29, 2011, 8:03 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by hungarianhc
But something about "buying points" just doesn't sit right with me!
I thought that until I met US Airways!!!
Old Sep 30, 2011, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K M, AA 2 MM PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum., Hilton Gold.
USAirways vs. Marriott

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
I thought that until I met US Airways!!!
Like you, I have purchased US points but never again. Because I purchased about 100K within one year period, my account was in audit for a while. No points taken but when in audit they can easily lock your account. It is hassle at the airport or even buying a ticket.

What is the maximum points one can buy as far as Marriott points are concerned?
Also, has anyone had issues using the purchase points?

Thanks
Old Sep 30, 2011, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by ACC2008
What is the maximum points one can buy as far as Marriott points are concerned?
Also, has anyone had issues using the purchase points?
As of 2007, 50,000 is the limit one can purchase points per year. Can't speak for others, but I've never had a problem using the purchased points with Marriott.

Cheers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.