Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Concierge Lounge Tipping Etiquette

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2011, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Marriott, Priority Club, US Airways

Today while having breakfast I noticed a grumpy middle-aged man accosted a younger guy and virtually told him off for not leaving a tip. I wanted to see what the general consensus is regarding leaving tips in the lounge after breakfast.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 8:07 am

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
Originally Posted by farhanmehta
Today while having breakfast I noticed a grumpy middle-aged man accosted a younger guy and virtually told him off for not leaving a tip. I wanted to see what the general consensus is regarding leaving tips in the lounge after breakfast.

He has no business doing that... I usually stay somewhere for a week at time and since it's usually the same CL agent in the AM shift or PM shift all week I'll leave a great tip at some point during the week. I wiiiiisssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhh he would accosted me.... I see these "grumpy middle-aged man" always walk around the CL like they own the place and treat the CL staff like dirt! BOOM!
Old Sep 20, 2011, 8:10 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles GM Marriott Rewards PM
Did they do anything tip worthy for you besides greet you? I usually make a breakfast plate of my own and get myself a coffee/OJ. If they serve you with refills then maybe.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 9:17 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
There's been prior threads on this. Some people always tip in the C-Lounge. Some people tip when extra services are requested and provided. Some folks don't tip there. Any of these three would be well within the norm.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by farhanmehta
The grumpy guy was out-of-line. Many people, including me, leave a tip at the end, not for each visit. As to tipping at all, there are people who are cheap and people who are generous. I tend to leave $3/day and round up to nearest $10.

Lightening won't strike you dead if you don't tip, it's just classless.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Marriott, Priority Club, US Airways
I couldn't find the thread if it already exists. Mods pl merge if necessary
Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:12 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
I agree with the lightening part, but disagree with the last.

While I may leave a dollar or 2 (if the attendant is actually doing something like filling my drinks, cleaning my table, providing dinner or activity recommendations, etc.), I don't think there is anything wrong/unethical/classless in not leaving a tip.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:01 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
My typical interaction with the CL staff is limited to giving my name and room number when I enter. We exchange basic pleasantries. They clear my plate and glasses occasionally. Maybe I ask them to suggest a restaurant offsite. I don't see what's worth a tip in that. I presume that, unlike restaurant wait staff in the US, they are paid a reasonable salary for doing these basic duties of their jobs. Those who do tip: what services are you tipping for?
Old Sep 20, 2011, 1:14 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Got mixed feelings about this one.

There are times where I've left a dollar or two on the table especially if there is no option to self serve "clean up" - but I've also hand carried plates into the kitchen because it just seems like the right thing to do.

But I also get the feeling that lounges are a "higher class" of service - nicer clothes, surroundings, informal like a club - and tipping like a waitress is almost seems insulting to them, especially a dollar or two at a time. Sort of like tipping in a planes First Class - doesn't seem right?

I've got some long term friendly relationships with several attendants in a few places and will ask their opinions - I want to do the "right" thing...
Old Sep 20, 2011, 1:19 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by Often1
The grumpy guy was out-of-line. Many people, including me, leave a tip at the end, not for each visit. As to tipping at all, there are people who are cheap and people who are generous. I tend to leave $3/day and round up to nearest $10.

It's usually the people who think they have class that are classless...
Old Sep 20, 2011, 4:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
It is a personal decision to tip. The old grump should mind his own business. I tip when it is outside the normal service, but will wait and do it once. I dont get tipped on my job each day. They wait til the end of the year and decide.

I have seen this type that seem to stare you down when you are in the lounge. They want to take over, protect the food and probably count everything you take.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 5:41 pm

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
+1

Originally Posted by joshua362
Got mixed feelings about this one.

There are times where I've left a dollar or two on the table.

I've got some long term friendly relationships with several attendants in a few places and will ask their opinions - I want to do the "right" thing...

Same thoughts, Quite a few stays of mine are in China, where tipping is not needed, but i still leave the US $ or two. It's amazing how the attendants then remember you, & your room # on future visits. Sometimes i run out of $, and then just leave rmb on the last day.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT, MR Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by User Name
It's usually the people who think they have class that are classless...
+1^

Tipping is a personal decision. The CL attendant is already paid well and would probably be grateful if you do tip but is not going to quibble about not receiving one. The grumpy-old dude was probably the father of the CL attendant.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL, UAL, SWA, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver
Remember that TIPS originally stood for Too Insure Prompt Service. Something to think about in this and any tipping discussion.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 8:50 pm

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
I am in the "never tip" group.
All of my CL visits have been me fixing myself a plate, eating my food, and dropping off my dishes on a tray, or throwing them out if plastic.
I dont see why I would tip for this.
If I were accosted by an old man I would either a)Not even acknowledge him b)tell him to mind his own ****** business c)Tell him I dont tip people if they dont do anything for me. It would depend on my mood.

I like that it is a self serve/self clear environment. If the attendants were taking my plate as I finished I would likely leave a $1-2 tip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.