Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Newbie question -- falling short of Gold status?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2011, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC *50K MM; WS Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite

Newbie question ... so apologies extended in advance!

It looks like I'll be short about 2 nights by the end of this year to qualify for Gold status.

I know that it's common to do mileage runs to cover off a shortfall in making airline status; is there an equivalent approach for hotel status? If so, I'd appreciate any advice the veterans here have to offer. I've got some time to make this happen, so I'm trying to think ahead. I am based in YYC if that's relevant.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by catgirl

It looks like I'll be short about 2 nights by the end of this year to qualify for Gold status.

I know that it's common to do mileage runs to cover off a shortfall in making airline status; is there an equivalent approach for hotel status? If so, I'd appreciate any advice the veterans here have to offer. I've got some time to make this happen, so I'm trying to think ahead. I am based in YYC if that's relevant.

I personally don't see much value in gold status but if you really want to give it a go just find a couple of cheap nights and go have a vacation! Or rent a conference room for an hour and get the 10 nights.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
Yeah, you're so close that it might be easier for you to rent a conf room three times (30 elite nights) and go for Plat. Then watch your points rack up quickly!
Old Sep 7, 2011, 2:31 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Yes, there are some that do mattress runs to get/maintain status or achieve a miles/point bonus of sometype.

What I would do is start looking at nightly rates at the Marriott's within easy reach to see if any of them have something cheap. You need to find a hotel that you can physically check into.

The trick is to find one that has a low rate. Usually this will be at a non-FS hotel on a discounted weekend rate. In the Dallas area, I can sometimes find rates in the $40 range (I used to be able to get a local CY for $35/night, but they raised their weekend corporate rate a couple of years ago.)

You will need to check-in at the hotel, but you won't have to stay there for the night (unless you want to of course.) And you can probably just call the front desk the next morning to check-out.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 2:34 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
I personally don't see much value in gold status ...
I guess it depends on whether you will be staying at FS hotels much next year or not. Gold will get you room upgrades and lounge access. So if one will be staying at places that have lounges it can be a very nice benefit and worth 2 nights to get.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 2:42 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Gold, AA EXP, Hertz #1 Gold
Conference Rooms

What is the going rate for renting a conference room these days?

At $100 a pop it would be much more worth it to do this three times and get Platinum rather than spend $100 for two nights in a hotel to get gold.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 3:07 pm

Programs: QF Silver (OW Ruby)
Hi guys,
can you let me know how this conference room thing works? Do I have to book/request directly or can be booked online...
Cheers
Old Sep 7, 2011, 3:28 pm

I would call a nearby hotel and ask how much would it cost to rent a conference room for 1 hour and then make sure you give them your MR number when paying.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 3:31 pm

Here's the link to the official T&C:

http://www.marriott.com/meetings/rewards/travel.mi
Old Sep 7, 2011, 5:07 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry

Of course, if you don't already have a Marriott Rewards Signature Visa card, you could apply for one of those. Comes with a bunch of sign up bonus points (vary with the offer, but usually 50-70,000), 15 Elite Qualifying Nights each year, a free night certificate each year and usually no fee for the first year (after, the fee is $85, which isn't too bad, considering you get that free night certificate and the 15 EQNs). In addition, you get extra points if you use it at Marriott and there is no forex fee if you travel internationally.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the insights everyone!

Mattress run!! Who knew?

I did not know about the ability to get 10 elite nights credit for booking a conference room. I'm going to call tomorrow to find out the cost of booking a conference room for 1 hour (three times) at my local Courtyard. You all have inspired me to find out more about getting Platinum!

Thanks also for the idea about the Marriotts Reward Signature Visa card. Unfortunately, because I am based in Canada, it is not an option for me. I have a Canadian Marriott Visa but it does not have the perks that you all seem to have south of the border.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Another noob-question!

"Non-FS" = ??
Old Sep 7, 2011, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
"Non-FS" = ??
Non-full service -- a property like a Fairfield Inn that doesn't have a lounge, proper restaurant, etc., as compared to a Marriott or Renaissance hotel.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 10:51 pm

Is it really that easy - rent a (smallest) conference room for one hour (nothing else), and get 10 elite nights???

Is that already a "qualified event" considered by most (if not all) participating hotels? Is there a minimum spend?

Last edited by Flyer888; Sep 7, 2011 at 11:03 pm
Old Sep 8, 2011, 12:24 am

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Originally Posted by Flyer888
Is it really that easy - rent a (smallest) conference room for one hour (nothing else), and get 10 elite nights???

Is that already a "qualified event" considered by most (if not all) participating hotels? Is there a minimum spend?
Im too lazy to search but there is a long thread on the conference room idea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.