Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Phuket, Thailand

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Phuket, Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2018, 9:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by iahphx
Or better, go someplace in Thailand other than Phuket, who's best days are definitely behind this now overbuilt resort island.
+1
IMO the only reason to go to Phuket is easy access via the international airport. I'll go there, for example, when I can only get away for a few days and don't want to deal with multiple flight connections and/or a multi-hour drive.

Just a reminder as well the weather typically starts to turn in early May and is likely to be stormy all the way through October.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
+1
IMO the only reason to go to Phuket is easy access via the international airport. I'll go there, for example, when I can only get away for a few days and don't want to deal with multiple flight connections and/or a multi-hour drive.

Just a reminder as well the weather typically starts to turn in early May and is likely to be stormy all the way through October.
Yeah, that sounds right to me. I stayed at the Ren in Phuket because I had never taken a beach vacation in Thailand (I'd been to the country before) and thought it would be a good thing to try since I was in Singapore and had four or five free days. Weather-wise, I knew it was the right time of year for Phuket beaches. The flight was cheap and efficient and the Ren is very convenient to the airport. The Ren is also located on one of the few beaches on Phuket that isn't massively overbuilt.

The problem with Thai beaches is obviously over-development. Any beach you've probably heard of, that people might have liked 5 or 10 years ago, is probably not as enjoyable as it was then. I know I will be very careful selecting a Thai beach if I go back. The country seems like a poster boy for what's currently "wrong" with Asian tourism.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Obviously you've never been to the Rayong Marriott and it’s beach which if anything might be considered as overly isolated (and in direct contradiction to your position below)

The problem with Thai beaches is obviously over-development. Any beach you've probably heard of, that people might have liked 5 or 10 years ago, is probably not as enjoyable as it was then. I know I will be very careful selecting a Thai beach if I go back. The country seems like a poster boy for what's currently "wrong" with Asian tourism.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Srisarin
Obviously you've never been to the Rayong Marriott and it’s beach which if anything might be considered as overly isolated (and in direct contradiction to your position below)

Actually, it's not at all contradictory. I (and I assume the vast majority of other potential travelers to Thailand) have never heard of this hotel. So that fact that it's presumably been spared from overdevelopment isn't surprising!
Old Mar 12, 2018, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Then maybe I should keep it a secret so it stays isolated from the masses, but for the 2-year period that the Hua Hin Marriott was under construction this was my go to weekend spot as it’s only an extra 10-15 minutes more then the drive to Pattaya from Bangkok.

With only the Marriott along with the owners wifes condo next door there's literally nothing in the neighborhood, but their fish restaurant by the kids swimming pool, along with lap pool by the beach is more then acceptable and they have more then a km of beach without the typical Pattaya/Phuket bars, massage parlors, tattoo parlors, etc.

The fact that this property has it’s own thread with over 150 posts indicates that it is readily available and known to others which disputes your contention and only reinforces my own.

Actually, it's not at all contradictory. I (and I assume the vast majority of other potential travelers to Thailand) have never heard of this hotel. So that fact that it's presumably been spared from overdevelopment isn't surprising!

Last edited by Srisarin; Mar 12, 2018 at 7:45 pm
Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:39 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Srisarin
Sorry, what does this have to do with Phuket?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 3:13 pm
Suspended

read 1576, para 2 - response to NO Thai beaches that aren't inundated, but you knew this already and as usual only want to create a problem

Originally Posted by Kacee
Sorry, what does this have to do with Phuket?
Old May 4, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Just wanted to post a quick review of the JW Marriott in Mai Khao. We just completed a four-night stay there and had a fantastic time. I am a Gold and was upgraded from a Deluxe Sea View to an Ocean Front Suite at check in, which I was not expecting based on previous reviews. Might have helped to have been visiting on the edge of the rainy season, although the hotel seemed pretty well booked. The ocean front suite was incredible - lots of room, a huge bathtub, a great Jacuzzi with views out over the ocean, easy access to one of the pools. Throughout the stay, staff at the resort were consistently excellent and helpful. We had a minor issue with the shower drain, which was resolved quickly while we were at dinner. We also used the concierge to book a day-long snorkeling trip which could not have been more easy. I liked the service at the pools - you were quickly given ice water when you sat down and this was filled regularly. At the adult pool they brought around watermelon slices. Small things, but very nice.

This is definitely a family-friendly resort, so if you're looking for somewhere without a lot of children, you're likely to be disappointed. That being said, I found the adult (12 and up) pool to be very quiet and nice. Even the south pool (compared to the north (adult) pool and the center (family) pool) didn't have many children and the swim up bar was a novelty.

As others have mentioned, you are hit with resort prices at all the restaurants throughout the property. The food was ok, with the cheapest option (the Siam Deli) often being the best in my opinion. Just simple things that were not too pricey. We also had good sushi at the Japanese restaurant. Breakfast was packed every morning and was rather mediocre. I felt that the options were just not that great and often felt at a loss for what I wanted, despite the large buffet.

Overall, we had a great stay and I would recommend it. I can't compare it to any of the other Phuket properties, but it was enjoyable on its own.
Old May 4, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
dcmike likes this.
Old May 5, 2018, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by dcmike
Just wanted to post a quick review of the JW Marriott in Mai Khao. ...This is definitely a family-friendly resort... Overall, we had a great stay and I would recommend it.
Is there a resident ELEPHANT ?
Old May 5, 2018, 9:04 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Singapore_Air
Is there a resident ELEPHANT ?
Not that I saw....if there is a resident elephant, they were doing a very good job keeping him/her under wraps.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 5:30 pm

Programs: free agent
Time is running out for me to use up my cat 1-5 travel package certificate (i'll give Marriott a call to upgrade to either cat 7/8 certificate based on feedbacks from others).

After some thoughts where I should use my certificate, and it looks like I'll just gonna do a real R&R vacation in Thailand. I stayed at JW Marriott Phuket last year, and other than dirty slippers in closet, I enjoyed my stay as Marriott Gold (breakfast was included in the rate, but as a current Premier Platinum, i shouldn't have an issue with free breakfast).

It'll be my first time to visit Marriott Phuket properties as Marriott Platinum, and I understand that I'll travel during Chinese New Years so upgrade probably won't happen but i'm interested in elite treatment and good swimming pools. I can't make up my mind between Renaissance and JW Marriott since they are next to each other but open to other properties in Phuket. So what's your suggestion?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 6:29 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by washeelers747
Time is running out for me to use up my cat 1-5 travel package certificate (i'll give Marriott a call to upgrade to either cat 7/8 certificate based on feedbacks from others).

After some thoughts where I should use my certificate, and it looks like I'll just gonna do a real R&R vacation in Thailand. I stayed at JW Marriott Phuket last year, and other than dirty slippers in closet, I enjoyed my stay as Marriott Gold (breakfast was included in the rate, but as a current Premier Platinum, i shouldn't have an issue with free breakfast).

It'll be my first time to visit Marriott Phuket properties as Marriott Platinum, and I understand that I'll travel during Chinese New Years so upgrade probably won't happen but i'm interested in elite treatment and good swimming pools. I can't make up my mind between Renaissance and JW Marriott since they are next to each other but open to other properties in Phuket. So what's your suggestion?
Marriott Nai Yang Beach was the last place I stayed... you might want to look into that..
washeelers747 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:32 am
CL9

Programs: MR Platinum, QRPC Platinum
Originally Posted by washeelers747
...n but i'm interested in elite treatment and good swimming pools. I can't make up my mind between Renaissance and JW Marriott since they are next to each other but open to other properties in Phuket. So what's your suggestion?
If a good swimming pool is important, forget the Renaissance, it has only a very small pool.

In about 3 weeks I stay at Ren again and then switch to JW, so if you can wait I can give you a comparison of these two after my stay.
washeelers747 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by CL9
If a good swimming pool is important, forget the Renaissance, it has only a very small pool.

In about 3 weeks I stay at Ren again and then switch to JW, so if you can wait I can give you a comparison of these two after my stay.
Really? However, I'm open to Ren, since it appears to be better place for elites, compare to JW Phuket. I can imagine that JW Marriott pool area might be filled with many kids during CNY weeks, and might hamper "relaxing" stay.

I want to double check, I'll still get free breakfasts at Ren/or JW Marriott as Platinum?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.