Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Gold member walked from 1 night of 3 night stay, who pays for new reservation?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold member walked from 1 night of 3 night stay, who pays for new reservation?!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2011, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Actually let me give one piece of info I thought I had given, but I guess I had not. My SO is traveling with me, which is the reason we wanted the King Bed in at least one room. However, since the time I posted this, I have spoken to both Marriott Corp, and the hotel management, and I believe we have come to a satisfactory compromise. The management at the hotel admitted there were a few things that could have been handled much differently that would have made the whole situation alot better (I suggested that once the property knew they were oversold, a call or email to me would have allowed me to stay at SFO for one night when I landed, before I drove down to the bay. They agreed with this, and promised to put it into place for the next time this happens, which they say is getting pretty common midweek now...the bay areas hot again!)
Old Aug 11, 2011, 8:59 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by hhoope01
And I thought that the certs the hotel was supposed to hand to an elite when being walked was one of those "ultimate" free night certs. But I guess I was mistaken on that as well.)
Socrates: "I know others will probably ask so I thought I'd just posted the name of the voucher a platinum should receive any time they are relocated from any Marriott branded hotel, it's a "Worldwide Ultimate - 1 Night" (you should receive 2 of these) and they aren't cheap" http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16879528-post23.html
Old Aug 11, 2011, 9:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, A+Elite, Marriott Gold
Is the risk of getting walked increased if you check in late in the day?

I'm using points to stay at Sydney Marriott at Circular Quay later this year. 5 nights same as 4 so I'm making the check-in date one day earlier hoping to get the room when my flight arrives bright and early.
I'm so afraid they will give my room away if I check in the next day.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by joelfreak
Actually let me give one piece of info I thought I had given, but I guess I had not. My SO is traveling with me, which is the reason we wanted the King Bed in at least one room. However, since the time I posted this, I have spoken to both Marriott Corp, and the hotel management, and I believe we have come to a satisfactory compromise. The management at the hotel admitted there were a few things that could have been handled much differently that would have made the whole situation alot better (I suggested that once the property knew they were oversold, a call or email to me would have allowed me to stay at SFO for one night when I landed, before I drove down to the bay. They agreed with this, and promised to put it into place for the next time this happens, which they say is getting pretty common midweek now...the bay areas hot again!)
makes a little more sense. but still, a night in a queen or double w/your SO is not the worst thing in the world. many couples live in a queen bed every day of their lives and they survive.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 10:37 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Chari910
...so I'm making the check-in date one day earlier hoping to get the room when my flight arrives bright and early.
You should be concerned... At most places I know, when the morning shift comes in at 7, it's a brand new day and all the previous day's reservations are cancelled no-shows. Sometimes that happens whenever the overnight person runs the audit (2am-ish).

Make sure you talk to them in advance and have the morning arrival noted!
Old Aug 12, 2011, 12:19 am

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by travel.flier
makes a little more sense. but still, a night in a queen or double w/your SO is not the worst thing in the world. many couples live in a queen bed every day of their lives and they survive.
Yes, and some of us even share a double with our SO. Joelfreak might be shocked to know that it is possible for two people to share a double bed, but I believe that is why it is called a double. Heck, when I was in college my SO and I often shared a twin.

The only time the bed guarantee is really critical to me is when I want the double double (because I have 3-4 high school students share each room). When the hotel tells me, "I'm sorry, all we have is kings," there's a REAL problem. You might be surprised by how many hotels list their king rooms for 4 guests, when they will allow at most one roll-away. I don't know if they expect someone to sleep on the floor, or think folks should sleep 3 to a king...

I agree with everyone who said that the OP's railing about bed type didn't help his cause.

p.s. Am I the only one who has Austin Powers flashbacks when someone refers to himself as Gold Member?

Last edited by lexdevil; Aug 12, 2011 at 1:06 am
Old Aug 12, 2011, 8:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Chari910
Is the risk of getting walked increased if you check in late in the day?
socrates may have hard data, but I think the general perception is that YES, a late check-in increasing your odds of getting walked.

Given the fact that I was never walked in years as a Marriott Gold (that was my level for about 8 years before the new Marriott Visa), I think your odds across the board are very low no matter what.

I'm using points to stay at Sydney Marriott at Circular Quay later this year. 5 nights same as 4 so I'm making the check-in date one day earlier hoping to get the room when my flight arrives bright and early.
Question for those in the know: at what time of day does Marriott consider a reservation a no-show? Independent of the walk issue: you may need to email the hotel ahead of time to inform them of your intent to check in to your room at 8AM or whenever. I'm guessing this is semi-normal in some markets where long-haul flights land early AM and I wouldn't think the hotel would object since you've paid for that (previous) night, but you may have to inform them ahead of time. I'd hate to see the system see it as a no-show and dump the entire 5-night reservation before you get there.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 8:24 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Yea, now it makes more sense why the OP was angling for the Fairmont... The bed type "problem" was cover to demand a 4-star hotel.

I still think it was excessive and a lame use of the DYKWIA card. But hey, sounds like it worked in this case.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 8:29 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
If you are used to it, then sleeping in a queen bed with your SO isn't a horrible thing. However, if you usually sleep in a king bed, and one person is a restless sleeper, or worse, if both are restless sleepers, trying to downsize into a queen can be miserable for both.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 8:29 am

Programs: spg gold, CO Platinum, MR Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped

Question for those in the know: at what time of day does Marriott consider a reservation a no-show? Independent of the walk issue: you may need to email the hotel ahead of time to inform them of your intent to check in to your room at 8AM or whenever. I'm guessing this is semi-normal in some markets where long-haul flights land early AM and I wouldn't think the hotel would object since you've paid for that (previous) night, but you may have to inform them ahead of time. I'd hate to see the system see it as a no-show and dump the entire 5-night reservation before you get there.
When the night audit is run (usually 2, 3 AM for most hotels), any arrivals who have not checked in, will be considered a no-show..
Old Aug 12, 2011, 9:24 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
If Ma and Pa Joelfreak are eligible contestants for The Biggest Loser, then the lack of a king bed could be an issue. Introducing a second guest into this scenario definitely changes things.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 9:50 am

Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by plagwate
If Ma and Pa Joelfreak are eligible contestants for The Biggest Loser, then the lack of a king bed could be an issue. Introducing a second guest into this scenario definitely changes things.
I was just going to say the same thing. Complaining about bed type when you are alone would look like angling for compensation. However, as mentioned, with two people, there are multiple reasons for needing a King bed, size of the people, restless sleeper, etc. And as the OP said, it wasn't a King to a Queen, it was a King to a double. That's a BIG drop for a couple used to sleeping in a King bed.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
technically it's at the time the night audit team "run's room and tax" (post the room rate charges)....there is not a set time but most will do so after things quiet down for the night (which will vary by hotel) but I'd guestimate 1-2am but the room is technically held until checkout time

Yes if you are planning to arrive at 8am the next morning for a reservation the night before - it will help things if you let the hotel know ahead of time
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:47 am

I think we all get it: when my wife and I travel, we like King beds. Who doesn't?

If I was walked, I'd probably throw in a "Hey, while you have the other hotel on the line, put in a request for a King for me. I know they might not have it but if they do, we'd prefer it."

But still doesn't change this situation or how the OP handled it.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I just want to comment here on the general tone of SOME people in the thread. I understand that I was the only person who was at the counter when this happened, and that from reading my post you may get an impression that was not meant - However, please be assured I NEVER, at ANY time, pulled a DYKWIA. The hotel management that I worked with yesterday appreciated that, and realized that with a little prior notice, the entire situation could have been avoided. They also agreed that checkout time at most other hotels would be at least 4 hours from when they would have had 2 rooms available meaning more time would have to be spent on a business day dealing with switching hotels, which is not what a hotel that caters mostly to business travelers should be offering to their clients. The offer I accepted happens to be much less than what I feel I probably COULD have gotten if I had pushed, but my only aim is to pay what I was looking to pay with my first reservation. I do realize that every traveler and situation are different, and I hope people can appreciate that. In the end, the property stood up and made good on their contract to provide accommodations, and thats all I asked for.
I think we all get it: when my wife and I travel, we like King beds. Who doesn't?

If I was walked, I'd probably throw in a "Hey, while you have the other hotel on the line, put in a request for a King for me. I know they might not have it but if they do, we'd prefer it."

But still doesn't change this situation or how the OP handled it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.