Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Chase Signature Visa 70,000 Points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 25, 2013, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
How do I get the current [70K | 80K | other] offer?

Which offer is better, X with annual fee waived or Y with no fee waiver?

Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

Once I meet the card's initial spending requirement, how soon will I receive my signup bonus points?

If I cancel my card after the annual free-night cert has posted, will I lose the cert?

For answers to these and other frequently asked questions, see the wiki in the overlapping thread Marriott Credit Card Offers & Associated Benefits (2016).
Print Wikipost

Marriott Chase Signature Visa 70,000 Points

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2014, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by igneous
this card can be cancelled as soon as the marriott point show up in your account right?
"If your account is not open for at least 6 months, Marriott and Chase reserve the right to deduct the bonus points from your Marriott Rewards account."
Old Jun 3, 2014, 12:25 am

So both my wife and I had the annual fee posted on our Chase accounts this past week. We were planning on canceling the cards anyways, but I noticed that we both had the Cat 1-5 certs posted to our accounts? If we cancel the cards, I'm assuming those will be revoked as well?

Thanks.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 9:14 pm

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum
No. Your certs will not be revoked.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Just cancelled the Chase Southwest card and this one is next on my list. The annual Cat 5 hotel cert is fairly worthless to me after the last round of category creep, and I can get 2x dining bonus on Chase Hyatt (or CSP if I wanted one) and Hyatt points are more valuable. Most of my Marriott spend is on corporate card so the 5x hotel bonus doesn't justify annual fee. Even the new Intercontinental MC gets a free night at an IC property and lower AF.

Not sure why anyone renews this card unless they need the 15 EQN and that's no longer needed for some UA elites.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 12:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Just cancelled the Chase Southwest card and this one is next on my list. The annual Cat 5 hotel cert is fairly worthless to me after the last round of category creep, and I can get 2x dining bonus on Chase Hyatt (or CSP if I wanted one) and Hyatt points are more valuable. Most of my Marriott spend is on corporate card so the 5x hotel bonus doesn't justify annual fee. Even the new Intercontinental MC gets a free night at an IC property and lower AF.

Not sure why anyone renews this card unless they need the 15 EQN and that's no longer needed for some UA elites.
Just like Chase Southwest and IHG Rewards, the annual free night (or 6,000 WN points) makes the card basically free. Just leave them in a drawer (or just use them for the affiliated brand and/or affiliated promos).

What would be the argument against this? I ask given I'm considering this 70,000 point promo right now, but i'd leave the card in a drawer for the most part.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:44 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
...the annual free night (or 6,000 WN points) makes the card basically free. ...
What would be the argument against this?
I surmise Boraxo's answer would be:

Originally Posted by Boraxo
... The annual Cat 5 hotel cert is fairly worthless to me after the last round of category creep,...
...and I have not found a use for the Category 4 coupon which comes with the card. I would much rather have had more points.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 8:07 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mia
...and I have not found a use for the Category 4 coupon which comes with the card. I would much rather have had more points.
While I do understand the sentiment, it is possible to use those Cat. 4's and 5's. Maybe not for a long stay in a beach front location. But each year when the family meets down in the Florida panhandle for our annual family vacation, we can definitely find one or two nights close to something we want to do with a Cat. 4 or 5 hotel close by.

For example, we may spend most of our nights directly on the beach in Pensacola, but may spend a night close to the Naval Air Museum (there is a nice low Cat. hotel next door.)

But I also understand that someone may find "more" value with other cards and that is great also. Basically, whether one gets and keeps a Marriott card or not is based on their personal situation. But I, personally, do find uses for the Cat. 4's and/or 5's and don't let any of them expire. Though I can't argue with your assertion that points would be more useable than those certs. ^
Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:02 am

The 4's and 5's are great to use for weddings! I just used the cat 4 cert for a courtyard in Oceanside that was also the wedding block hotel. Saved $130 but that's about as much value as you're going to get imo
Old Dec 8, 2014, 9:13 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Just applied through the Elite 70k offer and decision pending, because I think I have two existing Chase credit cards with large limits. After a long wait to transfer to information verification department, who asked me a bunch of questions about my existing cards, they did approve my card, but said it would take 3 more days for the account # to generate because of the tie in to Marriott. (I asked over and over that I don't want a NEW Marriott #, just to use my existing one).

I'm still a little worried about that last part since I never recall actually putting in my Marriott # so hope that their system will 'match up' my account correctly. The whole reason I'm doing this is to charge an upcoming event to the card and get a lot of bonus points and get me towards lifetime gold (already lifetime silver).
Old Dec 8, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by pitflyer
Just applied through the Elite 70k offer and decision pending, because I think I have two existing Chase credit cards with large limits. After a long wait to transfer to information verification department, who asked me a bunch of questions about my existing cards, they did approve my card, but said it would take 3 more days for the account # to generate because of the tie in to Marriott. (I asked over and over that I don't want a NEW Marriott #, just to use my existing one).
Similar process here when I applied two months ago. I called recon, and they were concerned I had too much credit line outstanding. I reduced my limit on a few other Chase cards. The agent approved my on the phone but warned that it'd take a few days for Marriott to approve it also. It went through with no problems and hooked up to my existing MR account.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 1:19 am

Can the owner of a Cat 1-4 certificate book for someone else? The person is family, so we share the same last name (and first initial too, if that helps!)
Old Dec 9, 2014, 8:57 am

Officially no - the certificates are for that individual, and you can't use a different name for the reservation. That being said, my wife made a reservation for me when I was flying solo, adding me to the reservation in the comment field, and I was able to check in. YMMV though.

Originally Posted by medellinfein
Can the owner of a Cat 1-4 certificate book for someone else? The person is family, so we share the same last name (and first initial too, if that helps!)
Old Dec 9, 2014, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by joeags
Officially no - the certificates are for that individual, and you can't use a different name for the reservation. That being said, my wife made a reservation for me when I was flying solo, adding me to the reservation in the comment field, and I was able to check in. YMMV though.
Thanks! I would rather burn this certificate than SPG points.

Anyone else having a data point with respect to using these for family when cardmember is not traveling?
Old Dec 10, 2014, 7:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
For what it's worth, I got this card last December, paid the annual fee, got the 70k points and free night at a 1-5 property.

Last week, I got an email from Marriott telling me that my anniversary free night had posted. The next day the annual fee posted. I called and canceled the card and they refunded the annual fee. I've already applied the anniversary free night to an upcoming reservation, I doubt they will revoke it at this point.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 12:07 am

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum
Originally Posted by jphripjah
Last week, I got an email from Marriott telling me that my anniversary free night had posted. The next day the annual fee posted. I called and canceled the card and they refunded the annual fee. I've already applied the anniversary free night to an upcoming reservation, I doubt they will revoke it at this point.
Correct, the free night will not be revoked. Enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.