Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Points deducted out of the blue for "cat 7 certificate" - hour+ one phone and no help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Points deducted out of the blue for "cat 7 certificate" - hour+ one phone and no help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:08 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by sparklygirl
I didn't reach the hotel person who had called, but got an e-mail yesterday from an assistant (perhaps the GM's assistant) saying that the hotel researched, apologizes for the inconvenience, and the points will be credited back to me.
I checked today and indeed there are the points back in my balance! ! :-)
If you're happy, we're happy. But, I think the hotel owed you some explanation.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ohmark
When something similar happened to me at the Minneapolis Marriott City Center, the hotel immediately investigated, found somebody on staff was "helping out a friend", and refunded to me.
Hey - they love me there...what can I say...and I truly appreciate your help too
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DillMan
Wow, that's incredible. I guess the FDC thought point certificates come from some magic cloud in the sky and nobody would ever notice they were missing/issued. Theft plain and simple.
you'd be suprised how stupid thieves can be - thankfully it's rare (they tend to have difficulty getting employed by the industry due to their usual lack of hospitality but a few make it through and onto the payroll as they do in any industry) - they tend to think they can steal points from anyone including the hotel directly without getting caught.......silly - we all tend to watch our accounts closely, hotels tend to watch theirs just as close
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it's quite possible it was an honest mistake, it's possible it wasn't - other than an apology I'm not sure much else is owed to the OP (personally I've never discussed personnel matters with guests) other than knowing the hotel will follow up to ensure it doesn't happen again regardless of the intent behind it
Old Aug 25, 2011, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Delta Gold, USAirways Gold, Marriott Silver, AMEX Platinum, Hertz Prez. Circle
I feel that, as I'm curious as well as to what happened, and how they finally figured out that their "records" were wrong.

Because of the lack of forthcomingness from the hotel after numerous attempts to contact them, I'm not sure they would even share though. And I've never stayed there so it's not like I really have a relationship with the hotel. The employee that e-mailed me to let me know everything was resolved did offer to personally assist with my reservation the next time I go to Miami, but I'm pretty sure after this I'm going to avoid ever staying there - too many potential complications if something goes wrong!
Old Aug 25, 2011, 8:58 am

The Paris CE Marriott pulled three 5+2 awards for a seven night stay in July when we checked out without an explanation. Although the points were redeposited by MR customer service, I hope I don't have the same problem the OP did.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by socrates
it's quite possible it was an honest mistake, it's possible it wasn't - other than an apology I'm not sure much else is owed to the OP (personally I've never discussed personnel matters with guests) other than knowing the hotel will follow up to ensure it doesn't happen again regardless of the intent behind it
I will respectfully disagree with you on the compensation. Seems like the OP put a lot of time and effort into retrieving points that never should have been taken. It looks like customer service (and the hotel) dropped the ball a few times along the way. I think throwing her some points as goodwill would be appropriate.

Mike
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikeef
I will respectfully disagree with you on the compensation. Seems like the OP put a lot of time and effort into retrieving points that never should have been taken. It looks like customer service (and the hotel) dropped the ball a few times along the way. I think throwing her some points as goodwill would be appropriate.

Mike
Mike,

I was in no way referring to the missteps which took place while the OP tried to reach someone who could assist - I was purely referring to the fact that it's a personnel issue that is best handled internally

Last edited by socrates; Aug 25, 2011 at 12:55 pm
Old Aug 25, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by mikeef

Mike

I agree that some kind of points should be requested. The hotel basically charged you a few hundred dollars worth of points to which they weren't entitled, and both the hotel and MR shut you down. It was clearly a lot of work to remedy this situation.

Request the points!
Old Aug 25, 2011, 4:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'm in agreement with others. The hotel screwed up big time, and it took a lot of time, effort, and perseverance on your part to get everything sorted. While I'm not a big fan of asking for points in general, in this case I think you're owed some & almost posted that yesterday.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.