Dearborn INN

Old Jun 24, 2011, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat
Dearborn INN

man oh man oh man what a fabulous location.

The rooms are huge (provided you aren't in the main building) the staff is super friendly and the property is gorgeous. I felt like I was living on a country club.

Can't wait to go back again!

In case you don't know which marriot I am talking about here's a link
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...arriott-hotel/
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
This hotel has always had a special place in my heart (worked here oh so many decades ago)...the world's first airport hotel (with the hangers across the street at Ford Field, now known as the Dearborn Test Tract) still visible (the hotel is still owned by Ford Motor Land Dev Corp which itself is owned by FoMoCo)
Old Jun 24, 2011, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat
I had a feeling it was owned by ford because of the little ford history facts everywhere. But I thought they were there simply because I was across the street from ford.

But I was there for a ford event, got to meet their CEO, check out a crash test live, drag race F150's, get a demo of the cars that talk to each other, drove around the test track. Met Ed Begley Jr, and a few other famous peeps.

But I really loved the HOTEL
Old Jun 24, 2011, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I had a feeling it was owned by ford because of the little ford history facts everywhere. But I thought they were there simply because I was across the street from ford.

But I was there for a ford event, got to meet their CEO, check out a crash test live, drag race F150's, get a demo of the cars that talk to each other, drove around the test track. Met Ed Begley Jr, and a few other famous peeps.

The full history of the hotel is

Henry I - built the hotel when he saw a need for it due to his Ford Field (Ford owned an airline back then)...airport closed within a few years of the hotel opening

Henry loved Americana - build replica's of famous American homes (there were suppose to be many more than there current are but war made it difficult to continue construction)...let's see if I can remember them all, Gov Wolcott, Barbara Fritchee, Edgar Allen Poe, Patrick Henry (ugh there's 1 more...total of 5...the rooms out there are terrific)

Henry noticed his employees at the Rouge needed a place to live so he built the dorm which is closed due to asbestos (closest to the pool)

In the 50's and 60's the hotel had the 2 motor lodges added (burbank and mcguffy - while Henry I was long gone these were two people he admired)

Henry I also founded the Edison Inst (now known as The Henry Ford) and transfered the hotel to this non-profit as a way of generating income (not sure exactly when that occurred), the Inst put the property up for sale in the 80's and FoMoCo couldn't let it go outside the family (the company has a full service land develop co in FoMoLandDev) so FoMoLand purchased the hotel and started a reno, during the reno they hired MI to be the management company, MI suggested additional changes be made which FoMo Land agreed with extending the amount of time the hotel was closed

it certainly is an amazing hotel which recently went through another reno which moved the Ten Eyck Tavern, eliminated the Early American Room and the Golden Eagle Lounge (unfortunately the publics wants/needs have changed greatly over the years)

If you ever return - make sure you get a tour, the Alexandria Ballrooms is filled with history (as is most of the property), Pilots Row (first floor rooms where the airline pilots use to stay) etc
Old Jun 25, 2011, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

soc, thanks for the history lesson.
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
AND ... it's a Cat 4, for those of you wondering what to do with those certs. @:-)
Old Jun 25, 2011, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigLar
soc, thanks for the history lesson.AND ... it's a Cat 4, for those of you wondering what to do with those certs. @:-)
and it's about 2 minutes away from www.thehenryford.com - Michigan's #1 tourist attraction - you could easily spend several days going through it, I highly recommend it
Old Jun 25, 2011, 8:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by socrates
This hotel has always had a special place in my heart (worked here oh so many decades ago)...the world's first airport hotel (with the hangers across the street at Ford Field, now known as the Dearborn Test Tract) still visible (the hotel is still owned by Ford Motor Land Dev Corp which itself is owned by FoMoCo)
Actually they've changed the name to Ford Land (sounds like an amusement park,eh?) and subsequently moved all buildings not occupied by FordMoCo within the Fairlane area in to a JV with Jones, Lang, Lasalle. The only exception is the secondary properties used by the Henry Ford, which FordMoCo donates. The Dearborn Inn and The Henry (former Ritz-Carlton) buildings are technically overseen by JLL with minimum input from Ford Landemployees.

A lot of people expect ford to spin off all these non-core properties and I'd sure hate to see that.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DillMan
A lot of people expect ford to spin off all these non-core properties and I'd sure hate to see that.
I'm with you, I too wouldn't be happy to see it (all of Wayne Doran's hard work being sold off) BUT Alan certainly needs to focus on Ford's main purpose - being a world class vehicle manuf for years to come - Ford lost sight of this many decades ago (at one point they wanted to be a world class executive training ground like GE, another they wanted to be a world class conglomerate etc...Alan has certainly grounded them to focusing on 1 thing).....btw the Ritz-Carlton was sold about a decade ago to Host Marriott who sold it last year when it became an AC The Henry, I believe the last 2 hotels in the porfolio are the Hyatt Regency Dearborn and the Inn (the Regency had been up for sale many times in the past but they could never get an offer near where they wanted and when the RZ was sold they took the Hyatt off the market)
Old Jun 26, 2011, 7:03 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
I stayed there for one night a few months ago. It was a very nice blast-of-the-past hotel in the middle of a not-so-great part of town. I'd never stayed in a place that had an old-fashioned toilet, complete with exposed plumbing, before.

My only complaint about the room was that they mounted the flat-screen t.v. in the middle of the room facing the couch instead of in front of the bed. Had they mounted it on a bracket that allowed you to pull it out and angle it toward the bed, it would have been great. It was a very awkward trying to watch t.v. in bed.

But it was a lovely hotel and the staff was phenomenal. Since I hadn't had an opportunity to eat the day before, I treated myself to a steak breakfast. Enjoyed it immensely. I was expecting a crappy cut of beef, but it was a really nice cut.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Recreation
I stayed there for one night a few months ago. It was a very nice blast-of-the-past hotel in the middle of a not-so-great part of town.
Dearborn is not a bad part of town, the west Dearborn is actually a very very nice part of town (there are parts of east Dearborn that are so so but the entire city is extremely "good")....the parts of Detroit Dearborn butts up against actually are ok too (not Palmer Park or Palmer Woods but still decent neighborhoods)
Old Aug 15, 2011, 4:42 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
I recently stayed at the Inn and, while there were some nice aspects to it, the problems with the Internet overshadowed everything else.

My review as published in Executive Road Warrior magazine is excerpted below:

The Dearborn Inn, Dearborn, Michigan - Review

The prospect of staying at an airport hotel, with minor exceptions (such as the Kempinski Airport Hotel München), ranks about even with having a tooth pulled for many business travelers. Fortunately, that isn’t always the case.

The Dearborn Inn is the world’s first airport hotel, having opened in 1931. It was the brainchild of Henry Ford, whose airport was located across the street. While Ford Airport closed in 1933, the Inn remained and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982, undergoing a complete renovation in 2008.

Given the Inn’s proximity to the Henry Ford Museum as well as the Ford Motor Company’s campus, it’s not surprising that many hotel guests are there to visit one or the other. As it happened, a series of presentations on the future of automotive technology was the reason for my visit.
Review continues here...

Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:47 am

Programs: Star Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
As for the variation in the rooms, the back part of the main building, where the concierge floors are located are all new and much larger than the other rooms (part of the original hotel). The 'older' rooms have a much smaller bathroom with a pedestal sink and ancient toilet. Has a slight dormatory feel to it but they did as much as they could to dress it all up while keeping the charm of the hotel.

There is also a seperate building where the rooms are newer and of the larger size. There are a few suites within the main hotel. The real charm of the hotel are the colonial houses which I would consider their 'real' suites. Those are on the back of the property, a very short walk from the main building.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Since JW GR unexpectedly went from a Cat 4 to a Cat 5 (), I find myself w/ 2 Cat 1-4 certs to use by end of year. Going to visit relatives in the greater Detroit area for Xmas, and was thinking of going over a couple of days early & use the certs.

Trying to decide between this property & the Novi Renaissance, which has gotten good reviews.

Anyone have any input on either? I'd be there the 23rd, 24th. I'm guessing the lounges will be closed?

I know the Henry Ford Museum will be open, but Greenfield Village will be closed (they're open the eve of the 23rd, but sold out for the 'holiday lights at the village' event. Anything else to do around there?

Cheers.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Since JW GR unexpectedly went from a Cat 4 to a Cat 5 (), I find myself w/ 2 Cat 1-4 certs to use by end of year. Going to visit relatives in the greater Detroit area for Xmas, and was thinking of going over a couple of days early & use the certs.

Trying to decide between this property & the Novi Renaissance, which has gotten good reviews.

Anyone have any input on either? I'd be there the 23rd, 24th. I'm guessing the lounges will be closed?

I know the Henry Ford Museum will be open, but Greenfield Village will be closed (they're open the eve of the 23rd, but sold out for the 'holiday lights at the village' event. Anything else to do around there?

Cheers.
The Dearborn Inn all the way. The Novi Ren is, IMHO, sort of bleh. If haven't been (or even if you have) The Henry Ford is a ton of fun.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 9:40 pm

Programs: MR Gold, DCL Silver, RSSC Silver
The Henry Ford was under serious construction earlier this year. Don't know the current status.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.