Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

A First For Me -- LNF Rate Denied B/C Different Cancel Policies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A First For Me -- LNF Rate Denied B/C Different Cancel Policies

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2011, 5:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Exclamation A First For Me -- LNF Rate Denied B/C Different Cancel Policies

Today, I have received a denial of a LNF rate for the Courtyard Toronto Downtown B/C the Priceline Rate was an Advance Purchase Rate and the Marriott.com rate was a BAR and higher.

I never have had a claim denied on this basis before -- and I assume that most of you have not, either based on the length of the LNF thread and my knowledge of rates that have been submitted to be matched.

Have any of you encountered this recently, or ever?

I regularly have had Marriott.com match and discount A/P rates from another site even if their rate did not have such a requirement.

I have asked them to reconsider and am awaiting their reply.

Comments?

Just received their reply -- they are adamant, and so am I -- I canceled the reservation.

So, forewarned is forearmed.

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Jun 9, 2011 at 5:54 pm
Old Jun 9, 2011, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
Did Marriott have the advance purchase rate posted, too? If not, this would be a huge loss. I have seen numerous times where Priceline, Expedia, etc have a non-refundable rate but Marriott only shows the regular rate. I have gotten several claims approved on this basis, despite the non-refundable nature of the advance purchase rate.

For example, I just had the Ren Washington DC Downtown approved two days ago...the lowest rate Marriott was showing was $319 or $329 (cant remember exactly), but all the other sites had an advance purchase rate of $129. The claim went through.

This would be a horrible decision on Marriott's part. If we book the non-refundable rate through Expedia or Priceline, we won't get points/nights. Marriott also has to pay a commission. My guess is, though, most will just not book at all, resulting in total revenue loss.

If Marriott starts being nitpicky like Hilton, the guarantee is worthless, and half my stays with this hotel are over.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 7:43 pm

I have been denied on that same reason before as well...

Originally Posted by MaineFlyer16
Did Marriott have the advance purchase rate posted, too? If not, this would be a huge loss. I have seen numerous times where Priceline, Expedia, etc have a non-refundable rate but Marriott only shows the regular rate. I have gotten several claims approved on this basis, despite the non-refundable nature of the advance purchase rate.

For example, I just had the Ren Washington DC Downtown approved two days ago...the lowest rate Marriott was showing was $319 or $329 (cant remember exactly), but all the other sites had an advance purchase rate of $129. The claim went through.

This would be a horrible decision on Marriott's part. If we book the non-refundable rate through Expedia or Priceline, we won't get points/nights. Marriott also has to pay a commission. My guess is, though, most will just not book at all, resulting in total revenue loss.

If Marriott starts being nitpicky like Hilton, the guarantee is worthless, and half my stays with this hotel are over.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Hyatt Diamond, MR Platinum, PC Platinum, SPG Platinum, HH Gold
I am starting to think LNF is becoming bogus. I had a case recently where I booked a room, saw another site offer the same hotel for a lot less. My reservation was King bed (I am Platinum, auto set up that way) and the other site showed two beds in room. The rate btw at marriott.com was the same, Kind or 2 beds. My claim was denied. I simply cancelled and stayed at the Hyatt. Much nicer and a lower price.
Old Jun 9, 2011, 9:15 pm

Programs: Delta, NW Air, Continental, Marriott, Amex
It has gotten ridiculous. I have had 2 claims denied because when they checked the websites 24 hours after I did, the rates "were no longer available"...However I had printed out the actual pages and took screen shots as proof and they absolutely would not budge and even got a bit rude after I had sent the proof, they emailed me that this would be the last communication regarding the issue. I too have switched chains.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 4:49 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MaineFlyer16

Sadly, yes, Marriott only had a regular rate and Priceline had a non-refundable rate.

Furthermore, your exact scenario I booked not a couple of days before and was approved.

The upside for me, however, was that I went back to the drawing board, and the Renaissance Toronto Skydome became available on a AAA rate for the exact same price as the AAA rate of the Toronto downtown Courtyard with buffet breakfast - $129 Cdn.

As I am Gold, went for the Renaissance, so all's well that end's well -- this time.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 6:19 am

Programs: IHG PC - Plat, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Sadly, yes, Marriott only had a regular rate and Priceline had a non-refundable rate.

Furthermore, your exact scenario I booked not a couple of days before and was approved.

The upside for me, however, was that I went back to the drawing board, and the Renaissance Toronto Skydome became available on a AAA rate for the exact same price as the AAA rate of the Toronto downtown Courtyard with buffet breakfast - $129 Cdn.

As I am Gold, went for the Renaissance, so all's well that end's well -- this time.
You may try resubmitting a LNF claim. I have had a claim denied and then resubmitted it because i thought i was correct and the second time a different individual reviewed the claim and approved it. i did not make any special note just submitted it like it was a first claim.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 7:19 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ncgator
You may try resubmitting a LNF claim. I have had a claim denied and then resubmitted it because i thought i was correct and the second time a different individual reviewed the claim and approved it. i did not make any special note just submitted it like it was a first claim.
I thought about that but am quite happy that this other hotel opened up as this was where my nephew really wanted to stay -- he is a sports nut.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I have tried LNF quite a few times and I do see some randomless in it. In April I filed a LNF claim using site 'x' and I got through, then in June I used the same site to file a LNF claim and it was denied. Then I filed another one using their BAR rate including breakfast and they denied it - I complained and quoted LNF's T&C then I got through.

About advance purchase rate, sometimes you need try to put in adv or adp to see if Marriott have the same rate. I got a denial due to that reason too and another FTer told me that there was actually an AP rate which was not displayed when I was reserving the room.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 2:49 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nacho
I have tried LNF quite a few times and I do see some randomless in it. In April I filed a LNF claim using site 'x' and I got through, then in June I used the same site to file a LNF claim and it was denied. Then I filed another one using their BAR rate including breakfast and they denied it - I complained and quoted LNF's T&C then I got through.

About advance purchase rate, sometimes you need try to put in adv or adp to see if Marriott have the same rate. I got a denial due to that reason too and another FTer told me that there was actually an AP rate which was not displayed when I was reserving the room.

Oh, there was an ADP rate listed -- it was the same as the BAR rate and I certainly was not going to book the ADP rate when the same rate was a BAR.

They rejected it anyway saying that I was comparing a non-refundable with a refundable that I had booked.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
It does seem to be getting much, much tougher. And rather than taking a couple of hourse to get back to you, my average seems to be about a day at the moment.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 11:48 am

I agree, LNF is pretty random, and they are looking for any ridiculous reason to deny. Yesterday I submitted two identical claims for two identical rooms at the same hotel on the same night (our family uses two rooms when we stay, so we book one under my husband's MR account and one under mine) using the very same link to the comparison rate. His claim was approved and mine was denied within 15 minutes of each other.

The ridiculous reason they gave for the denial was that the hotels.com comparison rate included a "vip dining card" and was therefore a package. I immediately responded and pointed out that this card is simply a worthless promo coupon that hotels.com includes with any reservation made at any hotel in this city, and that it was in no way part of a room package. It took some back and forth, but eventually they figured it out and honored their guarantee. As often as not, I find the LNF results in a lot of work and frustration, but sometimes persistence pays.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 6:05 pm

Programs: US air -chairman, SPG-Plat, Hyatt - Dmnd, Hilton -Dmnd, Hertz - five star
I had no problem matching the nonrefundable rate when marriott only had BAR. submitted couple requests and got approved.

my advise - cancel, rebook, resubmit.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 7:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I think my current record is 12 attempts at LNF for one property -- I got there in the end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.