Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Would you drive farther to get points?

Old May 14, 11, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum and HHonors Silver

My company is sending me to a 5-6 day training next month, at a very nice convention center, that is NOT a Marriott property.

There is a Marriott a couple miles away, but that means getting up extra early, driving, likely paying for parking, then the hassle of not being directly connected to after events at the convention center.

Or I can just stay at the convention center hotel, and just walk downstairs to my training.

I am wondering what other have done in this situation. Simple & easy vs. getting earned nights at Marriott properties.
Old May 14, 11, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
1) Is the hotel part of another chain that you can earn points with ?

2) Are you the only 1 from your company ?

If the answers are no then yes, then I would stay at the Marriott.

Cheers.
Old May 14, 11, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum and HHonors Silver
The answers are No & Yes

Thanks
Old May 14, 11, 6:15 pm

I know that I would stay at the Marriott where I could get the points. After all, I am a FTer. If it doesn't seem to work out after the first two nights then move.

Welcome to FT, bmuir40.

Bobette
Old May 14, 11, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Depends how many points and how much parking is. It certainly doesn't make sense if you pay more in gas and parking (and possibly your time) than it would cost to simply buy those points.

It also depends on how many points you have/need. If you have >1M, then cash in your pocket is worth more than a few thousand extra points that won't be used for years/decades.

For me, getting to status renewal and lifetime,e ,milestones is actually a better reason.
Old May 14, 11, 8:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Not worth it

If there are events at the hotel and everything is taking place, you will regret it.

I did this a few times early in my travel, but came to regret it.

Not having a room on property means no chance to drop off junk at lunch (or do calls other business.)

If there are evening events, driving back to your hotel changing and the driving back.

Just not worth it.

If the event is at the non-Marriott hotel, I would stay there.
Old May 14, 11, 8:22 pm

Programs: MR Plat, PC Plat
I would definitely driver further for points, but would probably be unlikely to drive if I could stay at a hotel where no driving was required. Especially if it is a nice hotel and the company is covering meals, etc.

I would try to get status matching so that I had some status with the convention center's chain if possible.
Old May 15, 11, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I've done it. It's not as easy as being directly at the property, but it's not horrible either if you're only a couple of miles away. Make sure the parking is in/out privileges.

Cheers.
Old May 15, 11, 8:44 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
Originally Posted by bmuir40 View Post
My company is sending me to a 5-6 day training next month, at a very nice convention center, that is NOT a Marriott property.

There is a Marriott a couple miles away, but that means getting up extra early, driving, likely paying for parking, then the hassle of not being directly connected to after events at the convention center.

Or I can just stay at the convention center hotel, and just walk downstairs to my training.

I am wondering what other have done in this situation. Simple & easy vs. getting earned nights at Marriott properties.
Done it both ways .... question: would you need a rental car if you stayed at the convention property? That would be a huge consideration...if you already had a car, I'd still lean on staying on property - as others pointed out, its so much easier to run back to your room during lunch, breaks, etc.
Old May 15, 11, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just went back and forth with this issue with my husband trying to book him for an upcoming convention. He ended up at the onsite Hilton rather than the nearby Courtyard as the Courtyard was 30 dollars more per night and there was no business argument for costing the company signifigantly more money over a 5 night stay for a less convenient location. Some people honestly don't mind charging their company more if they can get points or bonus nights, other find it morally questionable. His company specifically states in their travel policy that employees who are found to be manipulating travel plans to earn points or miles will be disciplined. (His one argument for staying offsite is that he really would rather be able to hang in the lounge or be around the hotel in the off hours and not run into clients. Have an off hours retreat so to speak)
Old May 15, 11, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by sweeper20 View Post
Done it both ways .... question: would you need a rental car if you stayed at the convention property? That would be a huge consideration...if you already had a car, I'd still lean on staying on property - as others pointed out, its so much easier to run back to your room during lunch, breaks, etc.
That's a valid point re: the rental car. In that case I'd stay at the convention center property rather than incur cost of rental car + c.c. parking fees. If you're in your own car then I'd consider it.

The few times I've stayed at Marriott properties when conventions were being held at a non-points earning property, the Marriott properties were within a 10-minute walk of the convention/host hotel. Again, not as convenient as being able to run up to room, but I appreciated the points I gained by end of the 4-5 day convention.

And one time I ended up staying at a Fairfield Inn vs FS Marriott because the FS was 'convention main hotel' w/ jacked up rates. I only had one small client at the show & couldn't justify staying there, especially when they were at a less expensive option. But I didn't want to give up the Marriott points, so I found a FI not too far away/cheap by cab.

Cheers.
Old May 15, 11, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've gone as much as 60 miles (one way) out of the way to stay at a Marriott in order to work a particular promo. I pay for everything, so no 'morality' questions were involved.

I believe we spent the points on a week on the Riviera, so I don't spend a lot of time worrying about it.
Old May 15, 11, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh yeah, when paying on my own/our own, I'm much more willing to hotel hop, drive further, pay a bit extra, do whatever, but I'm a little surprised at what people will do on someone else's dime, sometimes, for their own benefit.
Old May 15, 11, 11:38 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Glob
It depends on how involved you will be in meetings at the convention center hotel. I often try not to spend all my free time in "business meetings" if I have a choice, so I can do some sightseeing, etc. I will sometimes stay a little further away and even pay for the rental car and/or taxi on my own dime to have "my space".
Old May 16, 11, 8:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat , HH Diamond , IHG Spire
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
I've done it. It's not as easy as being directly at the property, but it's not horrible either if you're only a couple of miles away. Make sure the parking is in/out privileges.

Cheers.
+1

Search this Thread
Search Engine: