Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Would you drive farther to get points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you drive farther to get points?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2011, 7:54 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Amex Delta Reserve + Platinum MR. Y, I book.
My team does it all the time. We just rent a big car and pile in. We road-trip it meetings/classes ... etc. Good bonding time. If you're alone on the journey - to me, it should be a no brainer. POINTS BAYBEE!
Old May 17, 2011, 8:33 am

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Since you are by yourself, I also agree it is a no-brainer : take the points and stay at the Marriott. No question, to me.
Old May 17, 2011, 9:15 am

I think points people grossly overvalue points. I enjoy them don't get me wrong but.... For example, if you stay at the convention hotel you may make business contacts which could lead to a new job, sales leads, etc.... Everybody in the business world knows the value of conventions happens at the hotel bar, restaurant, gym, and pool and not at the actual meeting! The value of those contacts could be substantially more than a few points. I just went to a wedding this weekend. We stayed at a nice, no points property, as that is where the wedding was and most people stayed. There was a very nice Marriott two blocks away that I could have stayed at, maybe gotten a suite upgrade since I am plat, etc.... However, the value of bumping into family at the pool, and the like, plus the reduced hassle factor far outweigh the points I would have earned at the Marriott. In fact, the Marriott would have been cheaper too but I think relationships (personal and business) are worth a lot! Also, in your case maybe you have a couple drinks at the happy hour after the convention and it's a lot easier to not have to worry about driving. A DUI is a lot more costly than the points you would get at Marriott!
Old May 17, 2011, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the cost is similar and the only "cost" is my time I'd do it for sure.
Old May 19, 2011, 4:24 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
There are differences of degree and differences of kind. A difference of degree would be picking a Marriott that's a 15 minute drive away instead of an unbranded hotel 5 minutes away. Either way, you've got to drive; it's just a matter of how far. In cases like that, where it's a difference of degree, I often pick the branded hotel.

Your case, where the event is at the convention center, is a difference of kind. Staying at the Marriott a few miles away introduces all the downsides of driving vs. not. You'll have to deal with car rental, travel time back and forth, parking, and the inconvenience of having to pack and plan for the whole day while your colleagues will be able to come and go from their rooms and casually mingle at the hotel. That's a difference of kind. When it's like that, I'd stay at the unbranded hotel unless it had serious negatives like high prices or poor accommodations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.