Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads]

Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads]

Old Dec 8, 2017, 7:01 pm

Marriott Guest Compensation

Has anyone received the Guest Compensation for not receiving their Arrival Gift?

As a Platinum Member I always opt for points as Arrival Gift when I check-in, but more often than not the points aren't automatically added to my account. I just called Marriott's central 800 number, who rewarded me the arrival gift points where they were missing.

I asked under what circumstance a guest would be eligible for the "Guest Compensation", and the representative told me "You would get that if you didn't get the points, and we (the helpdesk) also refuse to give them to you - which will never happen".

I am not satisfied with this answer - what is the purpose of promising $100 compensation if it will never be given?
Old Dec 8, 2017, 7:08 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Thats all par for the course
Old Dec 8, 2017, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by stefang
I always tell the front desk I would like the points as the arrival gift, but more often than not the points don't appear in my account. I then call Marriott's central 800 number and they give me the arrival gift points for every stay where I didn't already get them (between 200 and 1000 points depending on brand/ country).
Why volunteer it? If they don't give you a choice you're entitled to $100 compensation.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Not totally correct as (1) the amount of compensation is both brand and country dependent and (2) must be claimed PRIOR to checkout

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Why volunteer it? If they don't give you a choice you're entitled to $100 compensation.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 9:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The $100 is if you're not offered a Plat amenity at check-in. Per T&C, you must raise the issue before you check-out.

It's not due if they offer you amenity but then the points don't post. The remedy there is just the points.

JW Mall of America refunded me $100 earlier this year though they technically were not required, as I did not realize I hadn't been offered an amenity until after I checked out.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 4:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Srisarin
Not totally correct as (1) the amount of compensation is both brand and country dependent and (2) must be claimed PRIOR to checkout
Yes, you are correct.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
a) you don't know if he's telling the front desk in response to them asking vs. just volunteering the info; b) not everyone is trying to get $100.

Cheers.
CJKatl likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by stefang
I am not satisfied with this answer - what is the purpose of promising $100 compensation if it will never be given?
You could claim $100 compensation if you were not offered the platinum arrival gift (ie, asked if you wanted points or $10FB coupon in the US or points/food amenity rest of world) at check-in, or if the $10FB coupon/food amenity was not provided. You need to ask for compensation prior to check-out.

Since points posting happens after check-out, there is no compensation if they don't post. FWIW - I've always thought they should double the PAG points if you have to call afterwards to get them manually posted.

Cheers.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 2:58 pm
Suspended

In my experience, most of the time the front desk clerk will say -- particularly if I've checked in online with the Marriott application -- something like, "And for your welcome amenity, you want the points, right?" I always ask what the alternative is, in the event the property is exceeding the $10 coupon toward food and beverage. Only once has a property (the Marriott Detroit Airport) not offered me a choice. I collected the $100 via a check in the mail about a week later.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
In my experience, most of the time the front desk clerk will say -- particularly if I've checked in online with the Marriott application -- something like, "And for your welcome amenity, you want the points, right?" I always ask what the alternative is, in the event the property is exceeding the $10 coupon toward food and beverage. Only once has a property (the Marriott Detroit Airport) not offered me a choice. I collected the $100 via a check in the mail about a week later.
Well thats the way its supposed to work. Where (US) are you getting a better deal then the $10 coupon? Would like to stay there.

In the olden days, I loved taking the F&B option and seeing what they would do with it, it varied from a less than quality Costco cheese tube and 10 crackers to a full fresh cut plate of fruit, cheese and full bottle of wine. If it came at all, probably just over 50% of the time (where I presume the $100 comp was initially designed to prevent). But if they were nice to me in any manner, I couldn't collect in good conscious.

Miss those days and that was the real spirit of a PAW, not 1/70th of a room night. Your opinion will vary!

Last edited by joshua362; Dec 10, 2017 at 9:24 am Reason: typo
Old Dec 10, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by joshua362
Miss those days and that was the real spirit of a PAW, not 1/70th of a room night. Your opinion will vary!
For that matter, I liked the days when the PAG was a box of stuff that was usually pre-placed in your room and that was kind of like Christmas morning every time, wondering what you were going to get. Then when they went to the little card where you could choose two food items and one drink, I had the same experience as you--many hotels went above and beyond and there were some truly spectacular PAGs that really made me feel my platinum status was valued. Then, around the time of the rumored "don't ever exceed minimum standards" memo, it seemed that the PAG truly became standardized and (frankly) boring.

Since it went to 500 points vs. the $10 F&B credit, I just automatically take the points. If I'm spending ten bucks at the hotel, I want to be earning points on them.

I suppose part of the problem is the seeming explosion in the platinum ranks due to things like rollover nights. Hotels that used to see only a few platinum check-ins per day now seem to be swamped with them. Am I the only person who's noticed over the past couple of years that whenever I'm waiting to check in it seems like the front desk clerks are thanking everyone for being a platinum member and asking what PAG they want?
joshua362 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
For that matter, I liked the days when the PAG was a box of stuff that was usually pre-placed in your room and that was kind of like Christmas morning every time, wondering what you were going to get.
While I'm okay with the points, getting about 25k in PAG points a year, I did like some of the old Welcome Gifts. About twelve or so year ago, a hotel gave a tin of really good waffle cookies in very sturdy, heavy pretty tin. I still use the tin today.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
500 points is less than $5. This is one place I'd love to see Marriott follow SPG, which gives a Plat amenity that's 3x Marriott's (500 SPG).

I take the points if traveling on business, the $10 F&B for personal travel.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
500 points is less than $5. This is one place I'd love to see Marriott follow SPG, which gives a Plat amenity that's 3x Marriott's (500 SPG).

I take the points if traveling on business, the $10 F&B for personal travel.
Watch out, Kacee. According to some people here, that kind of behavior means you're a dishonest thief stealing from your company and screwing over its shareholders, and should be immediately fired with prejudice.
Kacee likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Watch out, Kacee. According to some people here, that kind of behavior means you're a dishonest thief stealing from your company and screwing over its shareholders, and should be immediately fired with prejudice.
Nobody is saying that. If Marriott offered two rates for the same room, one with the PAG and one without, choosing the higher one to get the PAG would be stealing. If the points are included in the only rate, as they are, it is not stealing. Hopefully you already know that difference, but it's obvious that the truth is being blurred to justify stealing.
dgreen12 and Srisarin like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.