Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum arrival gift [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2016, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by joeags
So we arrived at 9pm in the Hong Kong Sky City Marriott and chose an ice cream arrival gift to pay off our son for a long travel day on an overnight layover. After 30 minutes I call to check on it, and they promised it would arrive soon. 30 minutes later still nothing. My son is dropping at this point, so I called to cancel the never arriving treat. The agent immediately states that she would put the points in my account. Is that a situation where you could claim on the platinum guarantee? I was treated well otherwise, so I didn't feel the need to push, but was curious if that counts, and if not, how long waiting in general do you think would qualify?

By the way, my son ate 4 Hagen Dazs between the lounge and the Air China flight, so he forgave them by lunch time! Those flight attendants just loved him too much! No comments on the parents who let him eat 4 please!!!
I doubt the property will pay up on the guarantee. Yes, they did not deliver the food but then you accepted the points, so from the T&Cs, you got your PAG. MR (as many do) has put enough wiggle room in the rules that it is easy for a property to get out of the cash payout. Many places I've stayed at just started saying I asked for points when I didn't. There's no proof either way so your only option is to be very stern and don't wobble.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 1:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
I agree. I actually used to LOVE the platinum amenity, even when it went to a cardboard box with relatively standard stuff inside it. Then when it was a card at the front desk where I could choose a food item and a beverage item, I still looked forward to it.

And on the very few occasions it didn't show, I simply had to ask the front desk and it was delivered without question. To me, the $10 F&B credit is insulting and now I always choose the points.
Agree I still like getting the card choosing what I want when overseas.

The domestic food/beverage amenities had deteriorated over the years, so part of me didn't miss it, as in some places what was provided (a box of crackers/brie round) was pretty lame.

I'm mixed. If I'm staying at a place in the US where I know I'm going to have a drink or order something to eat, I tend to ask for the $10FB credit. If it's a quick trip/not really going to be eating/drinking at the property I take the points.

Cheers.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by joeags
So we arrived at 9pm in the Hong Kong Sky City Marriott and chose an ice cream arrival gift to pay off our son for a long travel day on an overnight layover. After 30 minutes I call to check on it, and they promised it would arrive soon. 30 minutes later still nothing. My son is dropping at this point, so I called to cancel the never arriving treat. The agent immediately states that she would put the points in my account. Is that a situation where you could claim on the platinum guarantee? I was treated well otherwise, so I didn't feel the need to push, but was curious if that counts, and if not, how long waiting in general do you think would qualify?

By the way, my son ate 4 Hagen Dazs between the lounge and the Air China flight, so he forgave them by lunch time! Those flight attendants just loved him too much! No comments on the parents who let him eat 4 please!!!
I won't invoke the guarantee because they did give you a choice and they did try to fix the problem by giving you the points.

I did wait 90 minutes for 4 sticks of satays at KL Renaissance to come and it was cold. We were hungry and wanted some bites to eat so we opted for the food option. We took the satay to the lounge and told them that we couldn't eat it cold and they apologize and we told them that we'd like the points instead. The property gave us a generous upgrade so even if they forgot to ask we won't invoke the guarantee.

Nothing wrong with eating 4 ice-cream! I do the same and I let me kids too, as long as it's not a daily re-occurance then I don't see anything wrong with it.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 7:59 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Well good luck w/ your complaints w/ NY & Utah. You might get a form letter back, but not much more than that. All Marriott has to do is point out that the T&Cs are available on their website. It's not Marriott's fault you haven't read them.

You are not entitled to the guarantee because you didn't make a claim before check-out re: them not asking which option you wanted. Again, that's on you.

Re: the 500 points, you can get those easily. Just call & tell them they didn't post.

I disagree w/ Joshua re: why the domestic food/beverage amenity went away. In many years of travel w/ Marriott I had only a couple of times the amenity didn't arrive. I think Marriott decided (and I posted this a few years ago) to go to $10FB to offer something, but hope to get something as well (folk spending more than $10). That's just my opinion though. Overseas, the food/beverage still exists.

However, if state boards/AGs get frivolous complaints like yours I could see Marriott just going to points only & eliminating the guarantee entirely, so thanks for that.

Cheers.
My claim was finally honoured and I received a credit to my CC. I wouldn't characterise my complaint as frivolous as those golden nuggets called T+Cs are buried so deep within the Marriott website (and not even alluded to on the main page) that no reasonable (and, BTW, new) member to the Marriott programme would've known about a deadline. Perhaps, Marriott will now see it fit to move up the T+C link to the main page and/or use specific language as to how to lodge a successful claim. As for whether they remove this guarantee, I doubt very much that a combined company who controls some 29% market share will keep it irrespective of my success in this matter. However, should this come to pass, feel free to blame me; especially, if it helps you get to sleep at night as a loyal Marriott member.

Cheers.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 2:09 pm

Does the plat arrival gift & guarantee also apply to stays paid with points/free night certs? Cheers!
Old Jan 21, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Originally Posted by GLAinYYZ
Does the plat arrival gift & guarantee also apply to stays paid with points/free night certs? Cheers!
yup
Old Jan 21, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I just had a bad experience with the PAG at the St Pete-Clearwater FS this week. I asked for the $10 coupon thinking I would use it sometime over 3 nights. They had none but wrote out a chit manually on a scrap of notepaper. Circumstances did not allow me to use so as I left figured I would buy 3 Cliff protein bars at the pantry for my flight. FD Clown asked for $15 when the sign said $4 each ($1.49 at a 7-11 mind you) then refused to take the $10 off when I politely corrected him - saying it had to be used in the restaurant only. Someway to treat a departing guest, let alone a PP. Didn't have to time to argue but I think I'll find time to let Management know.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by joshua362
Didn't have to time to argue but I think I'll find time to let Management know.
Definitely let management know.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 9:58 pm

Just noticed I didn't get my PAG points from my stay last week, and also recalled, they never asked.

By the way, at a Courtyard, I opted for the voucher for some unknown reason...it was for a free Starbucks in the "bistro". OK, shame on me for not asking for the points. So when I went to get my free cup of coffee, I asked for a "Venti", and was told that the voucher only covered a small. Seemed *very* cheap to me.

On a side note, I have never had a good experience at *any* Courtyard I have stayed at, and avoid them now whenever possible. And it wasn't just the coffee incident.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by jrich7970
Just noticed I didn't get my PAG points from my stay last week, and also recalled, they never asked.

By the way, at a Courtyard, I opted for the voucher for some unknown reason...it was for a free Starbucks in the "bistro". OK, shame on me for not asking for the points. So when I went to get my free cup of coffee, I asked for a "Venti", and was told that the voucher only covered a small. Seemed *very* cheap to me.

On a side note, I have never had a good experience at *any* Courtyard I have stayed at, and avoid them now whenever possible. And it wasn't just the coffee incident.
Unfortunately the guarantee can't be claimed once you've checked out. I've had many properties default to points and then claim that was my request and they aren't liable for the guarantee. When I find them lying, I press the point and make it clear there was no offer. Now if they would only add a clause that they must deliver the PAG points in a timely fashion or be subject to a cash penalty!

It seems all the offerings are on the "cheap" side. Even the points are really worth anything of real value. I choose them as they are the only thing I don't need to take action before leaving the property. And I leave CYs as quickly as I can!
Old Jan 29, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I and many others here share your sentiment yet they thrive and are everywhere.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Courtyards (which I rarely frequent) are required to give you the 400 points AND a a coffee/marketplace item as a Plat.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 6:09 pm

Had an interesting fight with a Courtyard property on a AAA rate that included a $10 Bistro credit nightly. FD tried to insist that it was part of my PAG gift and I recevied my points already despite showing the language included in my booking rate. They eventually "relented" to the language within the booked rate, but I am finding Courtyards increasing difficult lately to actually extend PAG upon checkin.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by sig05
Had an interesting fight with a Courtyard property on a AAA rate that included a $10 Bistro credit nightly.
Obviously the management was wrong, since the PAG for CY is 400 points & a coffee/marketplace item. That's obviously different than a nightly Bistro credit.

Glad you stuck to your guns - and good reminder to keep email confirmations of reservations made that include certain things or cancel properties, regardless of brand.

Cheers.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Unfortunately the guarantee can't be claimed once you've checked out. I've had many properties default to points and then claim that was my request and they aren't liable for the guarantee. When I find them lying, I press the point and make it clear there was no offer. Now if they would only add a clause that they must deliver the PAG points in a timely fashion or be subject to a cash penalty!

It seems all the offerings are on the "cheap" side. Even the points are really worth anything of real value. I choose them as they are the only thing I don't need to take action before leaving the property. And I leave CYs as quickly as I can!
After sending an email, they gave me the 500 points right away. I wanted to send them a return email thanking them, but it was a generic email address, so, it would probably go into the bit-bucket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.