Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott "The Ultimate Reservation Guarantee" (pre-Bonvoy)

Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott "The Ultimate Reservation Guarantee" (pre-Bonvoy)

Old Jan 22, 2004, 10:03 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NOVAGOLF:
Hi guys....

I didn't realize my question would generate a 21 post thread :-)

I emailed the manager and requested a comp 3 night stay at a Renaissance for a stay in LA in March. I used many of the comments made on this thread to draft my letter. I will post the details of the response when I get it.

Thanks again for the help.
</font>
Ask him to put you up at the Renaissance Hollywood... nice hotel and great location!
Old Jan 23, 2004, 5:41 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by zakami:
Ask him to put you up at the Renaissance Hollywood... nice hotel and great location!</font>
That is where I hope to stay ... my understanding is that the certificates would be good at any Renaissance?
Old Jan 23, 2004, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Deleted

[This message has been edited by socrates (edited Mar 23, 2004).]
Old Jan 23, 2004, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted

Old Jan 23, 2004, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by socrates:

Please note I did not say the hotels were not allowed to offer more....this is the minimum they must offer, but each situation is different and if I was bumped to the Pres Suite at a Four Seasons or Ritz-Carlton I'm not sure I'd expect too much more

[This message has been edited by socrates (edited Jan 23, 2004).]
</font>
This is why your value here at FT cannot be overstated.
Old Jan 23, 2004, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted

Old Jan 31, 2004, 7:22 am

Just to update those who are patiently waiting to here what happened I am still waiting for a reply from the manager. I emailed him back on the 23rd (at his request) and as of this morning (31st) have not heard back. I emailed him this morning to follow-up and will let you know what happens.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold, PC Gold
reservation guarantee compensation

I was at a residence inn recently which was overbooked. They told me the only other option was to walk me to the Holiday Inn Express down the street and that all Marriott properties in the city were sold out. They asked me and a colleague to share a 2 bedroom suite. It was late at night, so we obliged. The next day I talked to the assistant manager about the $100 reservation guarantee for elite memebers... but I wasnt sure if this was for full service only or if it was for platinums only. She produced this chart that said Gold and Platinums who dont get their reservation guarantee at a Residence Inn get only $50 in compensation. She said she could either give me a $50 marriott bonus bucks that could only be used at RI or lower cat properties or 15,000 rewards points. I took the 15k rewards points, and they actually filed to my account within 5 days!

My questions are, is it $50 or $100? Is this compensation supposed to be in cash or bonus bucks? Is 15k points a standard alternate compensation? Which do you think is a better deal?
Old Jun 28, 2005, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by tanda_raho
I was at a residence inn recently which was overbooked. They told me the only other option was to walk me to the Holiday Inn Express down the street and that all Marriott properties in the city were sold out. They asked me and a colleague to share a 2 bedroom suite. It was late at night, so we obliged. The next day I talked to the assistant manager about the $100 reservation guarantee for elite memebers... but I wasnt sure if this was for full service only or if it was for platinums only. She produced this chart that said Gold and Platinums who dont get their reservation guarantee at a Residence Inn get only $50 in compensation. She said she could either give me a $50 marriott bonus bucks that could only be used at RI or lower cat properties or 15,000 rewards points. I took the 15k rewards points, and they actually filed to my account within 5 days!

My questions are, is it $50 or $100? Is this compensation supposed to be in cash or bonus bucks? Is 15k points a standard alternate compensation? Which do you think is a better deal?
I believe this is a $100 CASH compensation. I have heard that some people have been compensated $200 for this but this sounds high to me. I suppose that I would take the cash.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
You should have received $100 cash - if Platinum, $100 + 2 free nights. See below:

The Ultimate Reservation Guarantee: To be eligible, your Marriott Rewards membership number and a valid credit card number must be part of your reservation. If unable to honor reservation, the hotel will pay for your accommodations that night at a nearby comparable hotel and compensate the member for the inconvenience. Compensation varies by lodging brand (see below):

* At Marriott Hotels & Resorts; Renaissance Hotels & Resorts; Marriott Conference Centers; Marriott Vacation Club International; and Horizons by Marriott Vacation Club: Alternative accommodations, plus $200 and 2 free room certificates.

* At Courtyard by Marriott; Fairfield Inn by Marriott, SpringHill Suites by Marriott; Residence Inn by Marriott; and TownePlace Suites by Marriott: Alternative accommodations, plus $100. (Platinum members also receive 2 free room certificates.)
Old Jun 28, 2005, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gardener
You should have received $100 cash - if Platinum, $100 + 2 free nights. See below:

The Ultimate Reservation Guarantee: To be eligible, your Marriott Rewards membership number and a valid credit card number must be part of your reservation. If unable to honor reservation, the hotel will pay for your accommodations that night at a nearby comparable hotel and compensate the member for the inconvenience. Compensation varies by lodging brand (see below):

* At Marriott Hotels & Resorts; Renaissance Hotels & Resorts; Marriott Conference Centers; Marriott Vacation Club International; and Horizons by Marriott Vacation Club: Alternative accommodations, plus $200 and 2 free room certificates.

* At Courtyard by Marriott; Fairfield Inn by Marriott, SpringHill Suites by Marriott; Residence Inn by Marriott; and TownePlace Suites by Marriott: Alternative accommodations, plus $100. (Platinum members also receive 2 free room certificates.)
The above applies if they are unable to honor your reservation, what the manager was quoting was if they were able to honor your reservation but unable to honor your room type preference (smoking/nonsmoking at limited service/extended stay hotels; at full service hotels you can also add in bed type, king dbdb etc)
Old Jun 29, 2005, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
If you normally stay at Marriott's and use the points system for free stays, I'd say you did OK. At basic valuation, the points are worth about 150.00. Assuming you acrued no room charges for your unfulfilled reservation, I think they compensated you fairly, though not stricly per policy.

You now know what to expect in the future, at least per policy...

HIE's are usually pretty good properties. Hope it didn't interfere with your plans too much.

Pat
Old Jun 29, 2005, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL GM SkyClub; Starwood Gold, Hertz Gold, HILTON DIAMOND
So how far do they go?
Do they cover choice of beds, 2 double or one king?
Somking/Non-smoking?
Rollaway?
High floor/ low floor?
City View/ Garden view?
SR
Old Jul 1, 2005, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA - Exec Plat, Marriott Platinum Premiere; Lifetime Platinum;
Compensation for Being Walked

Had a reservation in a Courtyard in Albany, GA. Arrived at 2:30 AM. Night clerk apolegetically told me that due to guests extending their stay, the property was oversold and no rooms available. Set me up at a Sleep Inn 5 miles down the road. Was too beat to even listen to anything else. --- Next day I went to see the GM. Explained the situation. Without bearly finishing the end of the story, the GM presented me with 3 Platinum Guest coupons, each good for any Courtyard 1 night stay at anytime plus 5000 points. Of course my previous night was comped. Excellent way to handle situation. GM Karla Williams deserves high praise for turning a poor situation into a pleasant one.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 10:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton-Lifetime Diamond, WN-Companion Pass, National-EE
Well handled...but

Originally Posted by fredlisancnc
Had a reservation in a Courtyard in Albany, GA. Arrived at 2:30 AM. Night clerk apolegetically told me that due to guests extending their stay, the property was oversold and no rooms available. Set me up at a Sleep Inn 5 miles down the road. Was too beat to even listen to anything else. --- Next day I went to see the GM. Explained the situation. Without bearly finishing the end of the story, the GM presented me with 3 Platinum Guest coupons, each good for any Courtyard 1 night stay at anytime plus 5000 points. Of course my previous night was comped. Excellent way to handle situation. GM Karla Williams deserves high praise for turning a poor situation into a pleasant one.
First of all, it sounds like the manager did a great job of quickly responding and appeasing you. Although the compensation that she gave you may have had more value for you than the T&C benefit gives you, I personally would rather have the $$. I don't know what your elite level (if any) is, but here you go. (I don't pay for my rooms, so the "free night" certs aren't much good to me, but the $100 is nice

7. The Ultimate Reservation Guarantee: To be eligible, your Marriott Rewards membership number and a valid credit card number must be part of your reservation. If unable to honor reservation, the hotel will pay for your accommodations that night at a nearby comparable hotel and compensate the member for the inconvenience. Compensation varies by lodging brand (see below):
At Marriott Hotels & Resorts; Renaissance Hotels & Resorts; Marriott Conference Centers; Marriott Vacation Club International; and Horizons by Marriott Vacation Club: Alternative accommodations, plus $200 and 2 free room certificates.

At Courtyard by Marriott; Fairfield Inn by Marriott, SpringHill Suites by Marriott; Residence Inn by Marriott; and TownePlace Suites by Marriott: Alternative accommodations, plus $100. (Platinum members also receive 2 free room certificates.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.