Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, Peru [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2021, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lamphs
12/6/21 - e-mail address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, Peru [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2015, 8:17 pm

Programs: AC SE
Any experiences flying into Cusco and staying here at the start of the trip? I've been reading some recommendations to spend a few days at lower altitude. Any experiences with starting off in Cusco and staying at the JW? If people have had issues, did the oxygen in the rooms actually help? We're both reasonably fit 30-somethings and haven't had issues before, but I know it can affect anyone, so would appreciate any experiences with staying here after flying into Cusco.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by gcashin
Any experiences flying into Cusco and staying here at the start of the trip? I've been reading some recommendations to spend a few days at lower altitude. Any experiences with starting off in Cusco and staying at the JW? If people have had issues, did the oxygen in the rooms actually help? We're both reasonably fit 30-somethings and haven't had issues before, but I know it can affect anyone, so would appreciate any experiences with staying here after flying into Cusco.
Hi,

we stayed in January 2014 and had no problems with the altitude except some headache, but I also suffer it at lower altitudes. Mrs m4l had no problems/headaches.

I asked for the extra oxygen but I am not sure if it was pumped, and they did not charge it.

For whatever it counts, we are in our late 40's and I am only moderately fit.

Very nice property and fantastic town.

Have a nice trip!
Old Apr 8, 2015, 5:38 pm

We flew in to Cusco and headed to Urubamba for 2 nights, which has a lower elevation, but still did not help as we got sick after heading back to Cusco.

JW Cusco provided us with oxygen tank and mask and did help a bit, but basically lost about 1 day due to being bed ridden.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 1:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Hat tip to ymcarthur2 for the following that he posted in the exec lounge sticky:

"There is no lounge. Everyone, including platinum members, must pay a $25 DESTINATION FEE. I was informed the fee was imposed in January 2016. This includes breakfast, WIFI, 2 pisco sours daily, 2 bottles of water daily, $25 spa discount, $10 restaurant voucher. When analyzed, as a platinum or gold member, the only thing you would not have gotten are the vouchers and water."
Old May 6, 2016, 2:53 pm

This is an amazing property. It is a restored convent (historical tours every day at 6pm). It is walking distance to the Plaza de Armas, San Blas, the Mercado, everything! There is a grocery, a pharmacy and even a laundry nearby for those coming from Machu Picchu. The service is wonderful-everyone knew our names. Cusco is a wonderful city and this is the place to stay. Try to stay at least three days.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by ymcarthur2
This is an amazing property. It is a restored convent (historical tours every day at 6pm). It is walking distance to the Plaza de Armas, San Blas, the Mercado, everything! There is a grocery, a pharmacy and even a laundry nearby for those coming from Machu Picchu. The service is wonderful-everyone knew our names. Cusco is a wonderful city and this is the place to stay. Try to stay at least three days.

I'd refer to this property as a very nice property. "Amazing"? No. Perhaps the best in Cusco? Yes. Better than the Palacio del Inca SPG "Luxury Collection" property? Yes.

If you're sightseeing Sacred Valley, consider staying at the Tambo del Inca SPG property in Urubamba - highly recommended in beautiful location at lower elevation than Cusco.

Three days in Cusco seems a bit much - you'll see most of the old town in an afternoon walk. A few nice Inca ruins nearby will take half a day. But reality is you are likely heading to Machu Picchu/hiking the Inca Trail, and Cusco isn't a big highlight.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by farwest101
Three days in Cusco seems a bit much - you'll see most of the old town in an afternoon walk. A few nice Inca ruins nearby will take half a day. But reality is you are likely heading to Machu Picchu/hiking the Inca Trail, and Cusco isn't a big highlight.
IMHO, 3 days isn't unreasonable if you want to figure that you may want one day to adjust to the altitude. For many travelers, Cusco and some of the nearby Inca sights will be the highest altitude you will reach in Peru. Machu Picchu is at a lower altitude..
Old Nov 27, 2016, 6:05 am

We just spent 3 nights there and really loved the city and the hotel. The $25 destination fee was annoying. I have never had to pay the resort fees in any SPG or Hyatt chains for pure point stays. As gold members, we get most of the benefits included in the destination fee, such as breakfast and wifi. We don't drink so the free pisco sour didn't matter and there is no lounge. Is this something unique to Marriott hotels, even if it's not a resort? Putting that aside, the hotel is really lovely. Beautifully restored architecture and warm staff. The classic room we were originally assigned was tiny, like European size. I was not happy with it with the amount of points redeemed and the additional destination fee. However, we were upgraded to a large suite right after we got into our classic room, without us saying anything. So kudos to the staff for doing that.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I was there last week as well on a points stay and I agree about the $25/day fee being a total annoyance--it didn't get me anything I used. This was the first time I've ever been hit with that fee at a Marriott (I generally avoid resorts.) They also would only grant me a 2 PM late checkout instead of 4 PM saying that it's "subject to availability." I tried pushing the point a bit but it didn't matter that much as my flight was at 3:30 PM anyway. But other than that, I agree that it's a fantastic hotel. My first night, they were completely sold out, so I was in a normal room, but after that, they offered to upgrade me to either a luxury suite or a terrace room. Since I was by myself, I went for the terrace room, since the luxury suite would have been in the basement and had no view. They even offered to move my bags between room as long as I was packed had I been out the day of the room switch ^.
Old May 23, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: Marriott, Virgin Atlantic, BA
Just to add to previous reviews, this is one of the nicest Marriott properties I've stayed at.

Beautiful hotel (and got upgraded to their biggest suite), and the staff were incredible, with really friendly attitudes and impeccable service.

The breakfast buffet was extensive, and would love to have stayed longer.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 10:59 am

Anyone have any experience with booking here with 4 people? 2 adults, 2 kids(aged 4). The standard award rooms are only available to 3 persons, a 2-Double Bed room. However they offer a "family" room, not available for award nights, for four that looks like nearly exactly the same 2-Double bed room(but with a courtyard view), the "family" room is 30sq ft larger.

Has anyone booked an award night here and get around what seems like a silly occupancy restriction? I have no problem contacting the hotel and paying a bit extra, but would really like to be able to book an award night for us here.

Last edited by slack455; Jun 7, 2017 at 11:46 am
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by slack455
Anyone have any experience with booking here with 4 people? 2 adults, 2 kids(aged 4). The standard award rooms are only available to 3 persons, a 2-Double Bed room. However they offer a "family" room, not available for award nights, for four that looks like nearly exactly the same 2-Double bed room(but with a courtyard view), the "family" room is 30sq ft larger.

Has anyone booked an award night here and get around what seems like a silly occupancy restriction? I have no problem contacting the hotel and paying a bit extra, but would really like to be able to book an award night for us here.
Don't have experience with cramming 4 people into a single room, but it's clearly not a "silly" restriction to make sure no more than 3 are in a room, if only for fire safety. Book an additional room.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:54 pm

Resort fee

Is there a resort fee for platinum members? What does it get you beside that already included as plats.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:08 am

Programs: Marriott, Virgin Atlantic, BA
Originally Posted by dts9
Is there a resort fee for platinum members? What does it get you beside that already included as plats.
There was a resort fee, and it is compulsary. I just view this as an extra charge. It got me some discount at the spa (can't remember what else).
Old Feb 3, 2018, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by farwest101
Don't have experience with cramming 4 people into a single room, but it's clearly not a "silly" restriction to make sure no more than 3 are in a room, if only for fire safety. Book an additional room.
actually, I corresponded directly with the hotel and they were very clear that 2 adults and two children in a room would be fine. They were surprised that the Marriott booking engine would not allow it. They were also not aware that the booking engine was charging extra for a third person. I actually wrote to them to see if the third person charge applied to children and they advised that three adults or 2 adults and 2 children were fine and that there should be no charge for them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.