Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

horrible time trying to use points at Full Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite

Every hotel i look at lately for points i get this message

Unfortunately, no points redemption rooms are available for the dates you selected.

It doesn't matter where i look at staying the hotel rewards are not around. I look at the cal. and they will have like 2 days in all of april, even though they are still selling standard rooms. What happened to no blackout and use your points anytime.

I know i am being vag on locations but i have tried in the past 12 months to use points in a number of locations and been unable to use them. Chicago, Alabama, Key west, Some had some big events so i understand but some i have been very flexible and really poor availability.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have been able to use points everywhere I wanted to go this year. Including New YEar's and Thanksgiving. YMMV
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:08 pm

I have gotten that message also when I have tried to use points. I have found that if I search rates, then SELECT the property I want so that the various rates appear, and THEN check the box that says "use Marriott points" - all of a sudden there is availability, and I have been able to use points. It has happened to me several times that way, so now I just search using "no special rates". Hope that works for you.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:17 pm

Programs: CO PresPlat, UA GS, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Fairmont Premier, BA Silver, AVIS PresCircle
Smile

No blackout just means at least 1 room per property is available on rewards on a night not that last room avaialablility can be on a reward. Must already be booked by someone else.

Just checked Cleveland KeyCenter Marriott, and rewards nights are open every single day of april right now. Can stay the whole month for 600,000 points!
Old Mar 17, 2011, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I suspect that staying on an award in Cleveland, Detroit, etc., wouldn't be much of an issue most of the year (unless the Steelers are in town..)

Hawaii, Grand Cayman, Paris, etc., might be a slightly different story
Old Mar 17, 2011, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Are you sure they are selling standard rooms? Don't forget as a Plat+, when you search for rooms for sale, the website will show you Plat override rooms as available even of the hotel is sold out.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 7:07 pm

They have so many rooms per night they give away for redemptions and then I'm sure the rest they would like money for, considering they probably wanna be able to keep the property and the lights on so they have to pay the bills, not very profitable to give every room away for free. You might get lucky though and like a couple days before they might open some up. Happened to me a couple times, nothing available for weeks and weeks before. Two days before the trip i checked again and BINGO some opened up
Old Mar 17, 2011, 8:37 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by swag
Don't forget as a Plat+, when you search for rooms for sale, the website will show you Plat override rooms as available even of the hotel is sold out.
My thoughts exactly.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by rockchaulk
They have so many rooms per night they give away for redemptions and then I'm sure the rest they would like money for, considering they probably wanna be able to keep the property and the lights on so they have to pay the bills, not very profitable to give every room away for free.
SPG seems to have done pretty well with allowing (nearly) any available night to be claimed with an award. I assume they're paying their bills and the Lurkers aren't on FT for free.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 7:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by faciar
I have gotten that message also when I have tried to use points. I have found that if I search rates, then SELECT the property I want so that the various rates appear, and THEN check the box that says "use Marriott points" - all of a sudden there is availability, and I have been able to use points. It has happened to me several times that way, so now I just search using "no special rates". Hope that works for you.
People have encountered what the OP did, and the above method usually works.

Cheers.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by faciar
Just had success doing this for upcoming London trip a few days ago. I actually figured this out by accident but it worked!
Old Jun 20, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
This method is not working for me in Bend, Oregon next weekend.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bend Oregon next weekend-

Friday night

TownePlace- Sold out on points or cash (PO rate appears when logged in only)

Fairfield Inn- standard room available on cash or points

Saturday night-

TownePlace-Sold out on points or cash (PO rate appears when logged in only)

Fairfield Inn- standard room available on cash but not points

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.