Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

BOGOs, EEOs not being allowed for a Thurs.-Fri. Stay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOGOs, EEOs not being allowed for a Thurs.-Fri. Stay

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2011, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Question BOGOs, EEOs not being allowed for a Thurs.-Fri. Stay

A couple of people have told me recently that they have been told by hotels and the reservations line that the current BOGOs cannot be used for a Thursday-Friday 2-night stay.

Here's the current language
Weekend nights are designated as Friday, Saturday and/or Sunday nights only. In some countries in the Middle East, weekend nights are designated as Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights.
Actually this is incomplete language and is more confusing than clarifying imo.

It would seem logical that you could use a bogo for any reservation that is a minimum of 2 nights AND includes a Friday OR a Saturday night (and if the BOGOs had that language it would be clear). I never have had any problem using these for a Thursday - friday night and this is also the way that Bonus Bucks for weekends have also been treated.

Maybe Marriott Concierge can clarify the policy?
Old Mar 7, 2011, 7:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I had always interpreted weekend nights for the EEOs to mean Friday, Saturday and Sunday only, meaning you needed both nights to fall under those three in order to use an EEO. I realize that Thursday night counts as a weekend night for hotels if you stay Friday night, but I always thought the T&Cs of the EEO take precedence over what might be applied for a BB.

Although the EEOs are free for us to use, they cost Marriott money since they must pay the hotel something for the second night.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 8:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I have seen this before. The hotel has to extend the offer to include Thursday. Last fall they had the stay a weekend (Fri/Sat) night and get a $100 BB. Some hotels allowed Thursday to count. Its up to their revenue mgmt team. I recently booked a Thurs-Sat BOGO stay for this May. Depends on the property. (I think anyway)
Old Mar 7, 2011, 9:12 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Uber Titanium; From US CP to dirt (Its been a while)
Did a Thurs & Fri night BOGO stay over last Thanksgiving. Had no issues.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 4:37 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
I agree - I beleive it is up to the property. For a property who gets big bucks for Thurs night, probably no. For those who are half empty -well, one night is better than none...I have had it go both ways.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
For those of you who were able to use your EEO/BOGO for the Thurs/Fri night stay, did you:

A. Get prior approval for the EEO/BOGO from the Elite Phone rep?

or

B. Get prior approval for the EEO/BOGO from the Hotel?

or

C. Present the EEO/BOGO to the hotel without any prior approval?
Old Mar 8, 2011, 5:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by bk3day
For those of you who were able to use your EEO/BOGO for the Thurs/Fri night stay, did you:

A. Get prior approval for the EEO/BOGO from the Elite Phone rep?

or

B. Get prior approval for the EEO/BOGO from the Hotel?

or

C. Present the EEO/BOGO to the hotel without any prior approval?
I did "A". Called just like any other BOGO request. Gave my selected dates and they booked it without trouble. ("C" would be risky IMHO.)
Old Mar 8, 2011, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platnium,Hyatt Diamond
Always thought it was Fri-Sun...Have never tried to book a Thurs
Old Mar 8, 2011, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
I used an EEO on a Thu-Fri stay a few years ago (via phone rep), so I was surprised when the agent recently denied it...at the same hotel. On the second occasion, I had the impression that he was quoting a general rule, as opposed to looking up a hotel-specific policy.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
Does anyone have any recent experiences with this? More specifically, calling the hotel directly? I was denied by elite line, but was going to get input here before I call.

Thanks
Old Apr 13, 2011, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by MaineFlyer16
Does anyone have any recent experiences with this? More specifically, calling the hotel directly? I was denied by elite line, but was going to get input here before I call.

Thanks
You can try with the hotel. But I believe that if you were denied by the elite line then the offer was not extended by the property to include Thursday. Good Luck.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Continued fleecing of the EEOs to not allow it... just look at the massive growing list of excluded hotels too.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MaineFlyer16

Thanks
yup, tried Th-Sa recently and was told it's a no-go. Makes kind of sense IMO and I always read the rules this way as well. I'll try at the hotel itself @ check-out and see what happens.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 12:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cfischer
yup, tried Th-Sa recently and was told it's a no-go. Makes kind of sense IMO and I always read the rules this way as well. I'll try at the hotel itself @ check-out and see what happens.
I agree with you CFischer -- that is not only how one reads it, that is how it reads. If the hotel wants to be overgenerous, that's its concern.

That is why Rylan's comment above is ridiculous -- this is not a cutback on prior benefits.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 3:43 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I would check with the individual property. During the last EEO period, I apparently mis-read the valid dates and scheduled an EEO a week before the certs were valid. I realized it at checkout when I provided the desk a second copy of the cert (they had lost the first as usual). I told the hotel to just bill my card for both nights as it was clearly my fault, but they went ahead and honored the cert anyway. Obviously all properties will not do that, but there are some that are flexible and the worst they can do is say no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.