Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting check-in gifts....

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2011, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Interesting check-in gifts....

Many Marriott properties used to give a little "gift" (for lack of a better word) upon check in...sometimes just for Gold/Plat, but not always. I haven't seen it as much since the standards were set according to property type...

Last night I received coupon that was either good for a drink at the bar or 40% off breakfast. (yes, I am at a CY and breakfast should be free but that is not the point here....) This isn't the first time recently... And at differerent brands.

I always enjoyed them, not really for what they were, but more the creativity/thought behind them. They aren't a big deal, just kind of fun.

Has anyone else seen this returning?
Old Mar 2, 2011, 4:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
Really?

Originally Posted by sophiegirl
........... I am at a CY and breakfast should be free ......
Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
Really?
Of course not. I was just staving off the inevitable OT comments from the "why breakfast should be free at CY when it is free everywhere else" bunch.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 7:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Has anyone else seen this returning?
Nope.

Cheers.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 7:51 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Of course not. I was just staving off the inevitable OT comments from the "why breakfast should be free at CY when it is free everywhere else" bunch.
Well...breakfast SHOULD be free at CY's....

I didnt notice it returning as a blank statement, but as I typically stay 1-2 nights, I have been in a boatload of hotels Q3/4 2010 and so far in 2011. I HAVE noticed the little above and beyonds.

Recent list:
1-large (VERY large) package of goldfish and 2 apples in my room at a CY (still no free breakfast though...)
2-~20% of the FS hotels have offered points AND food/bev amenity (I am PP)
3-many personalized notes upon check in-some from the front desk people who just checked me in
4-a fruit/cheese plate in my room at a FS hotel-it had ~$20 in great cheese on it (I will try and post a picture-it was great)

I have been a PP for many years, and can say this is definately a change that has been recently noticed.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 8:11 am

Programs: Southwest A-list PREF, MR Plt Premier
Would someone mind taking a sec to educate a newbie? What is a FS hotel? Full-Service? Thanks!
Old Mar 2, 2011, 8:18 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
One of my recent hotels was doing a "company of the month". Anyone checking in from that company got a coupon for a free movie, free drink at the bar, and a discount at the restaurant.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 8:37 am

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond
My wife is Gold, stayed at a CY in Destin, FL this week and got a free breakfast. Wish she had asked why! lol

TW
Old Mar 2, 2011, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by The P
Would someone mind taking a sec to educate a newbie? What is a FS hotel? Full-Service? Thanks!
Yes, full service hotel.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
Yes, full service hotel.
And
CY is Courtyard
SHS is Springhill Suites
RI is Residence Inn
TPS is TownePlace Suites
FI is Fairfield
RC is Ritz Carlton
But I don't think we have found acronyms for the new brands.

maybe that should be a new thread... We could have suggestions and vote on the results....
Old Mar 4, 2011, 12:01 am

Programs: gold, titanium, platinum and diamond, but still no giraffe.
i've found it depends on the property... AND the management...

many FS marriotts have staff that don't know what the premium means when it follows platinum. then i stayed at the louisville, ky courtyard and the whole staff came out to meet me at check-in, gave me points and let me raid the "snack vault" (if you've stayed there, you'll get it :-)...

The SHS in Hagerstown, MD told me to take multiple items out of the pantry and gave me points. I stayed at a Fairfield in SFO a couple weeks ago and they were very welcoming.

This week I'm at a FS and the staff is, like... <yawn>... I think they gipped me out of my welcome points 9 or 10 times last year. I guess I should call Utah....
Old Mar 4, 2011, 4:25 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Tolarian Wind
My wife is Gold, stayed at a CY in Destin, FL this week and got a free breakfast. Wish she had asked why! lol

TW
Easy answer on this one: It's because the Destin CY is a darn good property. It's not just one of the nicest CYs, it's one of the nicest, well run properties in the entire MI system. If any hotel is likely to do something right or go the extra mile, it's that property.

Since the bubble crash, I've had no reason to be in Destin. For the few years prior to that, Destin was a frequent stop for me. I miss that hotel!

I was at the SHS in West Des Moines this week. Both my Gold coworker and i were handed white bags at check-in with water and a snack. It's been awhile since I've seen even this type of welcome gift. This was on top of the points.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
And
CY is Courtyard
SHS is Springhill Suites
RI is Residence Inn
TPS is TownePlace Suites
FI is Fairfield
RC is Ritz Carlton
But I don't think we have found acronyms for the new brands.

maybe that should be a new thread... We could have suggestions and vote on the results....
MV is MVCI
EB is Edition
EE is ExecuStay
(Insiders use RZ for Ritz-Carlton)
JW is of course JW
BG is Bulgari
AK is Autograph Collection
BR is Renaissance
FFIS is FI Suites
ZC is RZ Club

I'm sure I'm missing some (oh CFRST is the select service/extended stay division)
Old Mar 4, 2011, 9:10 am

Just recently became Gold and my first stay was at Marriott Burbank Airport. At check in I was offered a choice of a free Starbucks beverage, a free appetizer in the restaurant or 250 points. Also was given a huge corner room on the top floor. I have stayed at this place many times before, usually through a priceline bid and have never gotten anything above the 2nd floor.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by socrates
MV is MVCI
EB is Edition
EE is ExecuStay
(Insiders use RZ for Ritz-Carlton)
JW is of course JW
BG is Bulgari
AK is Autograph Collection
BR is Renaissance
FFIS is FI Suites
ZC is RZ Club

I'm sure I'm missing some (oh CFRST is the select service/extended stay division)
And that is why your handle is.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.