Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

2011 Annual Hotel Category Changes

2011 Annual Hotel Category Changes

Old Feb 27, 2011, 11:55 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
This partial release is poor customer service. How hard is it to release the entire list?
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:31 pm

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by beachfan
This partial release is poor customer service. How hard is it to release the entire list?
Old Feb 27, 2011, 12:38 pm

Programs: MR LT Platinum, HH Diamond, WN A-List,
I agree completely especially with the 4 => 5 properties and all of the free night certs I may not be able to use now
Old Feb 28, 2011, 6:18 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
It's "The Marriott Way"
More devaluation in a once fine program.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 6:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Disappointed to see the Aruba Renn moving up. I had a stay there when it was disappointed how expensive it was compared to how dark, gloomy and old the building was.

Also not happy to see the Aruba Marriott go up, but that property was pretty nice so its deserved!

Last edited by sica4; Feb 28, 2011 at 7:03 am
Old Feb 28, 2011, 8:22 am

Programs: UA MM, DL, Marriott Plat, CO, SW
What's the reason?

I really don't understand why the entire list cannot be posted. Andrew, if you are unable to post the entire list, could you please give the reason(s) why you cannot do so?
Old Feb 28, 2011, 8:34 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Jeez, people...the guy givess us a heads up and some people crawl up his a$$ about it. Give the guy a break. He supplied a link (which works on the dial up I'm forced to use for the time being). I though the DL forum was a bunch of babies...
Old Feb 28, 2011, 8:55 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Bucksmith2000
I really don't understand why the entire list cannot be posted. Andrew, if you are unable to post the entire list, could you please give the reason(s) why you cannot do so?
it is not Andrew's sole decision on what to release....all he can do is report to Senior Management that some people are unhappy. And the fact that neither he, Ira, or Marie are responding....

Originally Posted by nissan720
I agree completely especially with the 4 => 5 properties and all of the free night certs I may not be able to use now
ALL those nights? You can only earn 2 via promotions, and 2 if you are in the first year of the credit card...surely there will be a Cat 4 or two left in which you can use four nights...

Originally Posted by dd992emo
Jeez, people...the guy givess us a heads up and some people crawl up his a$$ about it. Give the guy a break. He supplied a link (which works on the dial up I'm forced to use for the time being). I though the DL forumr was a bunch of babies...
Guess you weren't around when poor Ira used the word "enhancement" to describe some changes... The whole thread went up in flames..
Old Feb 28, 2011, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by dd992emo
Jeez, people...the guy givess us a heads up and some people crawl up his a$$ about it. Give the guy a break. He supplied a link (which works on the dial up I'm forced to use for the time being). I though the DL forum was a bunch of babies...
The link provided goes to Marriott's blog. There is nothing listed there either for the very important list of hotels moving up from a cat. 4 to a cat. 5. There are only fifty changes listed out of the 350 which are supposed to be changing catagories

This is EXTREMELY important as many folks hold certs good for a free night up to a catagory 4. If the list is not made available these folks will be left holding certificates worth much less than when they earned them.Nothing childish(or baby like) in wanting to know if the certificate you are holding now will be worth less than you were expecting.

As the changes go into effect in 8 days it is ridiculous not to publish the full list of changes.

This lack of clarity exemplifies Marriott Internationals lack of concern for their most loyal customers.

I look forward to the full disclosure of the catagory changes and would ask all of you to write Marriott and demand that it be published without delay.

Last edited by bigguyinpasadena; Feb 28, 2011 at 9:57 am
Old Feb 28, 2011, 9:49 am

Andrew's Departure

From Insider:

Greetings, Insiders.

I wanted to let you all know that I will be moving on from my position as Marriott Rewards Insiders Community Manager. Over these past two years, I have had the pleasure of learning so much about our very best Marriott Rewards members, and in turn, further enhancing the Marriott Rewards member experience. It has also been a great experience providing the community with exclusive news, expertise from hotel associates around the world, and general help navigating a relatively new community.

There have been a number of positive strides taken with the community’s development, and of course, we’ve seen an occasional bump in the road, but your input and feedback have been extremely valuable both to me and to the Marriott Rewards team.

Interacting will all of you has been an absolutely fascinating experience – everyone’s passion and enthusiasm in this community has been truly remarkable. Marriott Rewards will be looking for a Community Manager replacement, but in the meantime you may hear from a number of Marriott contributors. I assure you, the community will be in good hands, and all of your contributions will remain just as valuable to Marriott Rewards, and of course, your fellow community members!

I thank you for your contributions, thoughts, feedback, and respect.

Best Wishes, Safe Travels, and Many Thanks,

Andrew
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:20 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by swag
Wow, a cat 7 SpringHill Suites???
There is also a category 7 RI in Virginia Beach, and there are a few other LS properties moving up to category 6 in Virginia Beach. A lot of people must be burning points at these Marriott properties in Virginia Beach.

Personally, I think it is stupid to waste so many points when you can stay at a FS hotel in Norfolk for less points. Still, we should thank those clueless members for subsidizing our awards travel by making the more lucrative awards available.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena

This is EXTREMELY important as many folks hold certs good for a free night up to a catagory 4. If the list is not made available these folks will be left holding certificates worth much less than when they earned them.Nothing childish(or baby like) in wanting to know if the certificate you are holding now will be worth less than you were expecting.
1. It is not EXTREMELY important to everyone.

2. A Cat 4 cert will still be good for a Cat 4 property. Value remains unchanged. Prices of goods change daily.

I look forward to the full disclosure of the catagory changes and would ask all of you to write Marriott and demand that it be published without delay.
3. As my dear departed alcoholic uncle used to say, "Demand in one hand and s*#t in the other and see which one fills up first"...

Edit to add: I do understand it is important to some people. My suggestion would be to call your prospective property and ask the GM or AGM if they are being up/downgraded. Worth a try.

Last edited by dd992emo; Feb 28, 2011 at 2:50 pm
Old Feb 28, 2011, 1:27 pm
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge
Original Poster

Several of you have expressed interest in getting a complete list of the category changes. I understand why this would be helpful, however, we are only able to release the information we have already released. The entire list is considered proprietary.

If you are concerned that a property will increase in value my recommendation is that you make your reservation before the category change. We will honor all reservation made prior to the change.

Regards,
Ira
Old Feb 28, 2011, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge
Several of you have expressed interest in getting a complete list of the category changes. I understand why this would be helpful, however, we are only able to release the information we have already released. The entire list is considered proprietary.

If you are concerned that a property will increase in value my recommendation is that you make your reservation before the category change. We will honor all reservation made prior to the change.

Regards,
Ira
"The entire list is considered proprietary. "
Thanks Ira. And I will be happy to repost this when Marriott is being considered for some sort of Frequent Guest Program award.
Clarity would be the better choice here in my view-please pass that on To Ed French and others at Marriott International
Old Feb 28, 2011, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Plat,Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott PP, National EE,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge

Regards,
Ira
Ira, I fail to understand how the list is proprietary when in one week, anyone can go on each hotel's page and see what category the hotels are in.

Your competitors clearly see no need to hide such information (see Starwood and Hyatt to name a few) and I must say this reduces the value of Marriott's program

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.