Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum and A Fruit Basket

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2011, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Platinum and A Fruit Basket

I stayed at the Long Beach Marriott last weekend for the first time as a Platinum. I was so pleasantly surprised when I got to my room there was a huge fruit basket/water/cheese. I thought...WOW! I could get used to this Platinum thing. But as I looked closer, I saw that the basket was not addressed to me. HMMM...what to do? It looke yummy! But I called down to the front desk and told them they had put the basket in my room by mistake. Within 3 minutes there was someone up there to retrieve it. I told him it looked fantastic and was sad it was not mine! He ran in and out as quick as he could. I jokingly said to him as he left, if he wanted to send anything up our way for our honesty we would be happy to accept. He did not think I was very funny and he got out of there as quick as he could. Oh well--
Old Feb 5, 2011, 9:54 pm
evj

Programs: UA 2P, HHonors Silver
Definitely a bummer!

Even though the basket wasn't technically yours and for some reason they couldn't let you keep it at that time (ie. they couldn't make another one for the intended guest right away, etc) it would have been a nice gesture. I know some people here may think - well it wasn't yours, why do you feel entitled to it....but it would have made a positive impression to a Plat member to do something.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

It was the right thing to do..but a little gesture would have been appreciated! Oh well--beautiful hotel, great service, free breakfast when the lounge was closed. Headed back there in a few weeks.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 10:31 pm
evj

Programs: UA 2P, HHonors Silver
They may end up doing something "after the fact," in either case enjoy your stay!
Old Feb 5, 2011, 10:40 pm

Programs: Delta-PM, Marriott-Plat, PC-Gold
Or, the basket didn't come from the hotel. If the person it was intended for was someone's guest, that person may have supplied the basket.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 6:10 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold
First time I hit platinum was in a Nashville Marriott. Front desk had a decent cheese spread brought up with a nice bottle of wine, and a $50 voucher for the restaurant at the hotel. Along with a very nice hand written note thanking me for my dedication to Marriott.

I'm pretty sure that's not standard behavior (or maybe it is) when reaching plat for the first time. It was enough to prompt me to send a nice note to Marriott regarding this exceptional welcome. Had alot to do with the front desk clerk, we were both from the same small city about 900 miles away.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 12:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I am surprised they would "regift" it after it was in someone elses room. I would think they would not want to give it to another guest. Recently, I purchased the wrong beef roast at a grocery store and noticed it before leaving the store. I went to customer service. They told me they would have had to throw it away if I took it out the front door!!!

Perhaps, someone had ordered it special and it couldnt be replaced. That must be it.
Old Feb 6, 2011, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
I am surprised they would "regift" it after it was in someone elses room. I would think they would not want to give it to another guest.
I'm picturing one of those big baskets with all the items inside wrapped in a huge mass of cellophane. In that case, there's not so much concern with "regifting". Sure, the OP could have unwrapped it, spit on the cheese (or whatever) and carefully wrapped it back up but that's pretty unlikely.

I'm just more disappointed the hotel didn't do something tangible to reward the OP's honesty. Oh, well, at least the OP scored some karma points!
Old Feb 7, 2011, 1:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, AA Executive Platinum, AmEx Platinum Card, SPG Platinum
I have received many baskets and arrival gifts - but almost always in hotels where i keep receiving outstanding service - and more importantly, emailing customer service to let them know. they obviously pass the info on to the GM, and the specific person i called out happened to be my concierge rep, who is obviously the best person in the hotel to make things happen.

Either way, I understand if the basket originated from someone else (or someone paid marriott to put the basket there). Otherwise, good customer service goes to show that you should have been acknowledged.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 9:29 am

OP did the right thing by returning it. I would have kept it though...guess I'm just greedy
Old Feb 21, 2011, 2:31 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sh00t3r
First time I hit platinum was in a Nashville Marriott.
A few years ago, I had a similar issue at the Cool Springs Marriott (just on the south side of Nashville.) They had a basket of candy in the room (and it was a suite room to boot as they upgraded us.) Before the kids could attack it, I checked it and noticed the name wasn't ours. I called down to the front desk about it. They said it was accidentally put into the wrong room, but said to let the kids have it as they would send up another to the correct room.

The kids definitely enjoyed it. ^
Old Feb 21, 2011, 7:47 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Last week we were traveling with friends, and on Valentine's Day I had a basket delivered to their room. On the outside was a card with their name on it. I know, because I wrote it, and taped it on the basket, which I had also created. The bellman accidently delivered it to the wrong room....which I only found out because when my friends didn't mention it, I asked them if they got it!

The bellman went to retreive it, and the guest refused to return it, saying as it had been delivered to her room, it was hers.

So - there could be many reasons the hotel could not allow you to keep it....and you definately did the right thing by returning it.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 11:16 am

Programs: US Chairman 150+, AA EXP, United 1K, Marriott PP, Hertz PC
I only had the fruit basket boogie once, at the Kodak Theater Renaissance. It was provided because there weren't any upgrade rooms available. I think it was a great gesture by the hotel and, to be totally honest, I though the room we received was more than adequate.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 12:10 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold
Not a fruit basket, but earlier this week I stayed at the Park Ridge Marriott with my 3 year old niece and 6 year old nephew. I had emailed to ask that if they had any upgrades available, I would really appreciate it, as it was a special getaway for me with the kids. We got a great room with a view of the pool (which the kids loved) and they sent up chocolate chip cookies and milk for the kids. What a nice touch it was! I'm going to be sending an email to Marriott to let them know how much I appreciated them going out of their way to do something nice for the kids.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 3:21 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, MAR Lifetime Plat, UAMM, AA3MM
The hotel didn't handle this properly.

IMO, the correct way to handle the situation would be, to thank you for bringing this to their attention, and:

> If it's something from the hotel that can be replaced... they should let you enjoy it and make another.

> If it was something from an outside source (florist, etc.) they should retrieve it and send you up something from the hotel for your trouble.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.