Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Maids - marriott are worst than most

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2011, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: HertzPC; Delta-SILVER; Marriott-PLATINUM; Choice Hotels-DIAMOND

THEY CLEAN AND DO NORMAL STUFF OK BUT:

They are obsessed with tidying up my bathroom sink. Toothbrush is in a glass. All the other stuff is in a neat pile. I hate that!

They always put the remote back by the TV. Leave it where I put it, please.

They also turn off lights at the light not the wall switch.

The shower curtain is always on the outside of the tub and the drain plug is usually down.

Jim
Old Jan 27, 2011, 4:11 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Jim - I've learned that the easiest way to have them stop putting the toothbrush in the glass is to put it there myself. Do I want it there? Heck no. Do I put it there? Yep. Why? After the maid has cleaned up my bathroom, the slob down the hall's bathroom, etc., I don't want her touching my toothbrush. Yeah, she's wearing gloves, but the gloves protect her. All the cooties are still on the outside of the gloves, which is what winds up against my toothbrush.

So I take the hand towel and the glass, make sure my crap is displayed like a Macy's counter and keep my fingers crossed that it won't be touched.

And, BTW, at what hotels do you stay where they actually clean? Wipe up, yeah, but clean??? I travel with little bags of Comet. Before my feet or butt touch anything in that bathroom, I've used a wash cloth as a rag and scrubbed those surfaces. The routine takes two minutes.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 4:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Quite the ordeal. Did you get compensation?
Old Jan 27, 2011, 5:23 am

Programs: UA 1K and 1 Million Miles, Marriott Plat Premier and LT Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by jak71454
THEY CLEAN AND DO NORMAL STUFF OK BUT:

They are obsessed with tidying up my bathroom sink. Toothbrush is in a glass. All the other stuff is in a neat pile. I hate that!

The shower curtain is always on the outside of the tub and the drain plug is usually down.Jim
I hate that!!!
Old Jan 27, 2011, 5:53 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
I used to like that...now I just pack up all my stuff and put it back in the suitcase every morning.
Yeah, but at least you know where it is.
haven't seen that
The shower curtain is always on the outside of the tub
I'm gonna guess to dry the liner to help prevent mold
and the drain plug is usually down.
ok, that one bugs me, too.

You might want to consider just putting out the do-not-disturb sign and putting an end to the madness.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 6:28 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SWA CP
I'm also not a fan of people pawing through my personal items and toiletries, but I simply hang the do not disturb sign out during the day and everything is right where I left it when I get back!

Not sure how the fact that they make an attempt to tidy up and restore order to the room translates into them being the "worst"?
Old Jan 27, 2011, 6:43 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Regardless of what hotel chain I'm at I always re-pack my toiletries before I leave the room for the day. I really don't like the staff pawing through my stuff. I just leave the closed up kit sitting near the sink.

The shower curtain is always on the outside of the tub and the drain plug is usually down.
That one really does bother me. I can't count the number of times I've ended up standing in a pool of lukewarm water when I get into the shower. Ugh. Then I have to bend over under the running shower and fumble to unstop the drain.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 7:30 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
They always put the remote back by the TV.
I won't remember where I left the remote, but will remember where the maid leaves it in a particular hotel. And usually, it's on the bed-stand.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 7:40 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
On a recent Westin SPG FFL stay I picked up 1500 pt by not using the maid service, thsi week at Marriot Marco Island, do not want maid service for a short stay...no extra points here...
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:45 am

This might be a crazy idea... but I just don't have maid service most days. Especially when I am traveling alone. I don't have daily maid service at home so why do I need it on the road!? I just leave the DND on the door. I thus have no problems with the maids!
Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:31 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
This might be a crazy idea... but I just don't have maid service most days. Especially when I am traveling alone. I don't have daily maid service at home so why do I need it on the road!? I just leave the DND on the door. I thus have no problems with the maids!
I do the same generally. Only use them when I need to.

My experiences with the maids have been generally pretty positive. If I leave a real mess I'm always leaving at least a few bucks to a 5 spot on the table for them. I can be messy sometimes and like to take advantage of someone else cleaning up my shtuff for a change.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:32 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
If leaving the shower curtain out and the bathtub stopper set is the worst you can complain about, then you have lived a charmed life.

By the way, that seems to be a housekeeping stadard at almost any hotel I stay - not just Marriott's. Same goes for the remote.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:22 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
We really need one of those "What is the most stupid, least substantive thing I can complain about?" threads on the MR board...
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:47 am

Programs: CO PresPlat, UA GS, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Fairmont Premier, BA Silver, AVIS PresCircle
Curtain out is to prevent mildew and mold. Drain closed is to prevent anything that may fall off you from going down thte drain like earings or ring on finger. saves hours of maintancence issues. Yea, 1 of 1000 people have an earring rop, but that one is going to be a happy camper when the drain is closed.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 6:43 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Are we on candid camera?

Last edited by sophiegirl; Jan 27, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.