Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

disastrous night on first ever rewards stay!

Old Jan 5, 11, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat

All,

I have decided to withhold the name of the hotel for now, but just wanted to run a recent scenario past the FT community for comment.

I recently booked my first ever rewards stay with Marrriot. I did so over the internet while in transit to the hotel in question. I had decided to stay an extra day in the city because I had proposed to my Fiancee just after midnight on NY'Eve and given that she had accepted we decided to stay for the evening of 1/1/11.

I arrived at the hotel to check in, explained that I was a MR Gold member and that I hoped to be given the best available room (as I am entitled by right in any case) given that we had just gotten engaged that morning. The front desk explained to me that we had of course been given the best available room (on the 16th floor) and that he hoped we enjoyed our stay. We went to the room, where all seemed well (apart from a dirty coffee cup sitting on the floor directly outside the door, which I ignored).

We went out, had a celebratory dinner and arrived home early. Imagine our surprise when lifting the bedspreads to go to bed we see very clear (and very unpleasant/suggestive) stains on the sheets!! My fiancee was very upset and we of course got dressed again and called reception. The front desk immediately offered us another room on the same floor but apologised that it would not be as nice a view as the one we had. They eventually and somewhat grudgingly offered an 'executive room' (or similar but NOT a suite) on a floor above. My fiancee had by this time also noticed a number (maybe 5-10) of paper 'chads' (the pieces which come out when a hole punch is used) across the floor which caused her to be concerned that not only had the sheets not been changed but that the floor had not been cleaned/hoovered either.

In the interim I had become a little 'put out' by the fact that the 'executive' room upstairs was available now but had not been offered to me as a gold member in the first place, even though I had specifically asked about the possibility of an upgrade.

Coupled with this my Fiancee was no longer willing to stay in the hotel that night, as it was supposed to be a very special night for us and she did not want to be worried about whether the bed was properly cleaned. While I was extremely confident that the other bedroom would be immaculate and had not lost faith in the hotel (or in Marriott) as a whole, I was really annoyed that our night had been so thoroughly ruined and we decided to check out.

In fairness to the hotel FD manager she called the Marriott in the airport (where we decided to relocate to as we had a flight the next day in any case) and made a reservation for us, and while we paid rack rate for the room, we were upgraded to a suit when staying at that other marriots as some recompense for our trouble. (Having said that a suite is not much use when one is checking in at 2AM because you have had to walk out of another Marriott across the city at 11:30 PM)

In addition I have received today a note from the Front of House Director at the hotel apologising unreservedly for the dirty room and saying that as a goodwill gesture they are going to credit 10k points to my MR account.

I'm unsure now as to whether the hotel have handled the whole mess appropriately. For me, semen-stains on a bed could happen anywhere, and the fact that it happened on my engagement night to me is just Murphy's Law in action. On the other hand for the hotel not to have given me the upgrade in the first place was a little annoying and the hotels initial response to the incident was also very poor. (and btw the 30k points for the nights stay have not been returned to my account as yet either)

So, FT - opinions? - should I kick up more of a fuss? name the hotel? or have they handled the matter adequately, albeit after a disastrous start, and should be given credit for their response ? (assuming I actually do get refunded the 30k points for the night we never used).
Old Jan 5, 11, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
"disastrous"? Dramatic much?
Old Jan 5, 11, 10:51 am

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
One valid complaint. Dirty room. The rest is "entitlement run wild"

you should get your points back.

The rest of this is whining about an upgrade that you didn't get... (and how do you know that Executive room was NOT being held for a late arriving Platinum??? you don't! you just have a stong sense "entitlement")

And then you and your financee need to learn "perspective" The "I have to move fit" was yours and you have to pay the price. I would have given the hotel a chance to give me a clean room. (And why this panic over the floor, weren't you planning to sleep IN the bed LOL!) The suite was plenty of "compensation" since the only reason you walked out was "unwarranted" hysteria.
Old Jan 5, 11, 11:11 am

Programs: EZ Pass, Starbucks Gold, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by CarolDisney1 View Post
(And why this panic over the floor, weren't you planning to sleep IN the bed LOL!)
You're forgetting about the dirty mug.
Originally Posted by catharsis
I arrived at the hotel to check in, explained that I was a MR Gold member and that I hoped to be given the best available room (as I am entitled by right in any case) given that we had just gotten engaged that morning.
I can only imagine how that conversation went.
Originally Posted by catharsis
I did so over the internet while in transit to the hotel in question.
And that might be the real reason that you weren't given the upgrade (that you are entitled by rights to).
Old Jan 5, 11, 11:12 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Hopefully, the replies you receive here will prove cathartic...

If it was me (and it's not), I would back off and take another look at my future...
Old Jan 5, 11, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by CarolDisney1 View Post
One valid complaint. Dirty room. The rest is "entitlement run wild"

you should get your points back.
One thing that FT'ers on this board are good at when it comes to critiquing complaints, is weeding out the emotions and getting to the bottom line. This should help you in writing/talking to customer service. Hope you didn't already do so with your ranting.

That said, just send a note to CS about your dirty rooms.
Old Jan 5, 11, 11:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
(apart from a dirty coffee cup sitting on the floor directly outside the door, which I ignored).
As you should have. The vast majority of people place used room service items outside their door. Perhaps someone had already returned their tray but hadn't quite finished their coffee. Alternatively, some people place any used dishware item (items from the lounge, bar, or inroom coffee maker) in the hall out of habit. Complaining about something you'd see in any full service hotel owned by any chain so early in your story casts a dark shadow on the rest of your story.

I think the hotel went above and beyond by making your reservation at the airport property and giving you 10k points. You obviously had a bit of an upgrade as the room offered initially didn't have quite as favorable of a view. Stuff happens in hotels and the housekeeper may have just missed those stains. I can say with certainty that the hotel doesn't make a practice of using soiled or stained sheets. As far as the paper chads go, I see nothing to complain about. Perhaps the trash was emptied after vacuuming and they fell out. Perhaps Kathrine Harris was the last person to stay in the room.

Personally I would have requested new linens and left it at that. I can't see Marriott corporate doing anything for you here.
Old Jan 5, 11, 3:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Southwest
If you were promised your points back, be diligent and eventually you'll get them. Be sure to keep any documentation which says they will be returned until they are returned.

Dirty rooms happen, generally I try to check the room before I unpack and leave. Reminds me to go check the linens right now.
Old Jan 5, 11, 3:25 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; BA Gold
Good grief - talk about a bunch of magnanimous posturing from most of these responses. Have a little tact and compassion - There is a chap asking for advice here, you don't have to agree with him but at least be civil. We have all had bad experiences with hotels, and of course can get let emotion be a factor. But catharsis has every right to feel put out. Not only did he have a bad experience, but it was also meant to be on one of the most important nights of his life!

I thought Flyertalk was meant to be friendly, but clearly some of the members are suffering from a bit of January blues and looking to vent.

May I be the first in the thread to actually congratulate you on your engagement Catharsis. And I hope you get your points back!
Old Jan 5, 11, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP Ive had experiences with a few Chains where I wasnt gven lets say an Exec Room at checkin simply due to the fact that a non-Exec room which was a much larger room was available although with no view whatsoever

Its hard for any hotel to know what a person would prefer a larger room or the view. Tahe Hawaii would you rather have a small exec room Ocean View or a 1 bedroom suite with no views to speak of. What you will take maybe I wont and vice versa.

Ive told the Hotels over the yrs why not at checkin tell me what I can chose from and let me decide. Ive taken smaller rooms with a view and other times a 1 bedroom suite w/o any real view, it depends where I am and for how long

also unless you logged onto Marriott.com and saw what they had available when you got to your room you cant be sure if that Exec room was even available, it could have been blocked for someone or someone CXed it before you guys got back to the Hotel. You only really caught the Hotel playing games if in fact you went online and saw what was being offered. Thats what I do when they give me their reg lines of Sorry Mr Craz we dont have any Upgardes available for you as we are soldout, I log-on and when I see whats being offered simply ask for the MOD and take it from there, since it seems you didnt do this you dont have anything on the Hotel

the pts you used wont be back in your acct overnight give it a few more days as Mon was really the 1st work day since this occured. since at the time you never its eemed asked for anything its hard IMO now to go back and ask for anything that wasnt discussed, and it does seem teh Hotel did want to reach out to you
Old Jan 5, 11, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
@OP

Are you still engaged?

Are you still alive and not ill?

Do you know what a 'disaster" is ?

Hyperbole will get you nowhere when you write a complaint.
Old Jan 5, 11, 7:10 pm

The 10K points was more than adequate for the issues you cited. It sounds like the FD bent over backwards trying to make you happy.Dirty sheets... Yeah, you deserved a new room but getting upset over 5-10 paper chads is beyond the realm of my understanding. I think your fiancee totally overreacted. You deserve to get your Reward points returned and I would pursue that. If I was inclined to write anything, I'd be writing to corporate telling them what a great FD staff they have at this hotel.

Bobette
Old Jan 5, 11, 7:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by gcampbell View Post
There is a chap asking for advice here, you don't have to agree with him but at least be civil. We have all had bad experiences with hotels, and of course can get let emotion be a factor. But catharsis has every right to feel put out. Not only did he have a bad experience, but it was also meant to be on one of the most important nights of his life!

May I be the first in the thread to actually congratulate you on your engagement Catharsis. And I hope you get your points back!
Agree w/ the above 100%.

In fairness I do agree that the DYKWIA was unnecessary & disastrous was a bit over the top, but presumably he's learned his lesson after getting his arse kicked on this thread

Congrats on the engagement! Hope you have many happy years ahead of you.

Cheers. Sharon
Old Jan 6, 11, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
confirmed what I already thought...

All,

I would have though hyperbole would be more fairly applied to the responses than to my initial comments .

I think the overall tone of the responses is.... the hotel has dealt appropriately with the problem, which is broadly what I felt and thought I had stated. I was looking for some confirmation and I have received same.

As for the DYKWIA comment - there was no gratuitous DYKWIA, it was a very gentle and courteous statement to an FD clerk explaining why we had decided to stay and stating that if there was anything he could do to accommodate us given the particular circumstances it would be very much appreciated.

As for my use of the term disastrous - as I stated in my original comment the hotel's error was unfortunate.
For me, semen-stains on a bed could happen anywhere, and the fact that it happened on my engagement night to me is just Murphy's Law in action.
On the other hand - I defend my right to describe the night overall as a disaster. My engagement night was spoiled by finding someone else's semen stains in what was about to be our bed. This is hardly the definition of an excellent evening.

Thanks to those who congratulated me on the event.

@Craz I did not check the internet because (as implied above in my comment re: DYKWIA) I simply would not/did not care or focus on the room upgrade when checking in. I only felt
slightly put out
when an upgrade became available later. I agree completely with the points you make.

@dillman - I wasn't complaining about the coffee cup - I merely noticed it at the time and thought it was odd that it had been left in front of the room by housekeeping when they cleaned the room. I am of course used to seeing (and putting) such things in corridors (but thought it was unusual to see it physically 'blocking access' to a 'cleaned' room I was entering). Telling me that I should have ignored something which I had stated I had ignored seems redundant?

@CarolDisney - The 'I have to move fit' was my Gf's and not mine . We did of course have to pay the price for deciding to move and did so by paying rack rate in the new hotel. I don't really disagree with any of your comments (although I might personally have made them a little more 'gently').

All, Thanks for the reality check

I see no reason to follow this up further except as may be needed to ensure that the 30K points for the nights stay get credited to the account.
Old Jan 6, 11, 4:54 am

This "dirty sheets" problem happened to me once in a Holiday Inn in Washington. Now first thing I do when I enter a room is checking the sheets.
But the safest way is to stay at home (if you clean properly at home) as a BBC show targeting high range hotels in London showed you can have all kinds of fecal materials in many places in your room.
It is not what you see which is the worst...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: