Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Eleite benefit: Free Local calls at international locations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2010, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT

I am at a marriott in mexico. I noticed i had been charged for some local calls. When i asked the manager to take them off the bill he said that that benefit doesnt not include mexico. I dont see anywhere on the website that says this benefit is limited to the US. Anyone know what the rule is regarding this?
Old Dec 21, 2010, 7:29 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Silver, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium
I was also charged for a local call while staying in Australia. I figured I missed something somewhere and just paid it. I don't know if this was something I was legitimately supposed to pay or not being an elite member. I was too lazy/drunk to fight it.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL Silver (MM), HH LT Diamond, MR LT Platinum
Originally Posted by njxbean
I am at a marriott in mexico. I noticed i had been charged for some local calls. When i asked the manager to take them off the bill he said that that benefit doesnt not include mexico. I dont see anywhere on the website that says this benefit is limited to the US. Anyone know what the rule is regarding this?
From the Marriott Rewards T&Cs

Additional Platinum and Gold Membership Benefits:

1. Free Local Phone: Free, unlimited local phone calls at participating JW Marriott Hotels & Resorts, EDITION Hotels, Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels, Marriott Hotels & Resorts Courtyard by Marriott, Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott and SpringHill Suites by Marriott locations in North America.
Mexico is part of North America but there is wiggle room with the word "participating".
Old Dec 21, 2010, 2:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
The links are crazy: This one shows no restrictions (except "participating")

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/member-benefits.mi

This one specifically restricts to US and Canada:

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/memb...ts/platinum.mi
Old Dec 21, 2010, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
They could probably also wiggle on what defines "local", as many countries never had the same distinction between local and long distance that the U.S. did for most of the 20th century. Specifically, in many places, every call regardless of distance had an associated usage (toll) charge.

No real idea about Mexico or whether this relic of yesteryear - playing tolls for voice traffic - still applies there. It's been at least 15 years since I've made any kind of call using a hotel phone...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.