Advice for Marriott Newbie?

Old Dec 15, 10, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards - Platinum; US Airways - Gold
Advice for Marriott Newbie?

I have been reading FlyerTalk for a few months now and decided that I should sign up and contribute. The site has some great information and I've been really enjoying it!

I have been traveling for business (an early career professional) over the last two years and committed in the second half of this year to booking exclusively Marriott. (Many of my supervisors are also Marriott members and the hotels are near many of our client sites.)

I am currently a silver, have the Premier Chase card, and will probably be a platinum by the end of next year.

My question is: What tips, advice, or lessons learned would you pass to someone at the beginning of a Marriott Rewards career? Any specific programs, combos, or tricks of the trade? I've read a number of threads, but anything would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance for your time!

EngineerDan
Old Dec 15, 10, 3:50 pm

Programs: MR Plat, PC Plat
Use Marriott Gift Cards whenever possible. Currently, you can either buy them with a 10pt/$ bonus, or get them with a 10% discount.
Old Dec 15, 10, 8:56 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
take the time to reconcile the points reflected on your statement vs what you know you earned. I often find errors that add up rather significantly by year end....
Old Dec 15, 10, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA:Lifetime Plat DL:Lifetime Silver UA:1P MAR:Lifetime Tit
Originally Posted by dave-b View Post
Use Marriott Gift Cards whenever possible. Currently, you can either buy them with a 10pt/$ bonus, or get them with a 10% discount.
On top of the 10% or 10pt bonus, also use a cashback link like BigCrumbs to get 4% back on the card purchase, then again when you reserve the room. Also when booking, try the AAA rate out... it will often be your best bet. Whether purchasing gift cards or paying for the room directly, *always* use that Chase Marriott Visa. If you make it to Platinum, choosing the 500 points as your Platinum Arrival Gift is typically (not always, depends upon your needs/patterns) the best value. Always register for the Megabonus or other promos. When redeeming points, try for the Travel Packages (7 nights plus 120K points converted to airline miles of your choice), especially when timed and stacked with a conversion promo.
Old Dec 15, 10, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards - Platinum; US Airways - Gold
Thanks!

Thank you for all of your suggestions so far! I appreciate it!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: