Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

No-Show Absent Minded mistake on my part - Any Chance to waive?

Old Dec 13, 2010, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold

I made three reservations for a romantic getaway weekend with my fiance for our two year anniversary. I foolishly forgot to cancel the two we weren't going to use. We got charged the first night at the other two hotels.

Marriott reservations has sent emails to both hotels requesting a no-show waiver on our behalf. Any idea of the success rate for something like this?

If this doesn't work, it looks like we got charged taxes for the stays too. Are we liable for the taxes as well? Can we at least get these reversed?
Old Dec 13, 2010, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ejh25
If this doesn't work, it looks like we got charged taxes for the stays too. Are we liable for the taxes as well? Can we at least get these reversed?
I'm not aware of any local taxing authority which wouldn't require use taxes to be charged on no-show revenue

As far as your chances to have it waived - just really depends on each specific location
Old Dec 13, 2010, 12:23 pm

I had a similar situation happen a couple years ago. I forgot to cancel. I called the hotel directly, a few days later (when I thought of it), and they refunded the whole thing with little hesitation. It was a CY or a FI but they were very nice about it.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 1:15 pm

I would call the hotel directly and see if they can refund the charges. Most of the hotels are pretty good about reversing the charges but then again you have your outliers
Old Dec 13, 2010, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
I had a similar situation happen a couple years ago. I forgot to cancel. I called the hotel directly, a few days later (when I thought of it), and they refunded the whole thing with little hesitation. It was a CY or a FI but they were very nice about it.
+1 I've called the hotel directly and have had good luck.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 1:51 pm

This has happened to me on a few occasions. If you stayed at another Marriott on the night in question, I've always found that has worked in my favor to get the charges reversed.

Good luck.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 3:25 pm

worked for me

This happened to me this year in California. I forgot to cancel a reservation in Marriott in a city near the Marriott I actually stayed in. The rule -- written or unwritten -- seemed to be we'll erase the charges once but not a second time. My platinum status helped, I suppose.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I average one or two forgets or last minute changes a year, and have had mostly positive results when asking to have the charges reversed. A couple things: several times the hotel manager (yes, I call the property directly) has thanked me for being honest about just forgeting to change the reservation. A few months ago, the manager laughed and told me that he was only doing it because I didn't make up some story about why it wasn't my fault.

Second, if the hotel was sold out the night in question, the manager does not reverse the charges, IME. This seems fair, as the hotel would have likely sold the room had I not held it. Otherwise, it appears to not be a problem.

Third - and this bothers me - even if you are charged, you do not get the MR credit. I understand why this is done, but it still irks me.

One property could not reverse the charge, but gave me a certificate for a future stay, which worked out perfectly. You might suggest that if you cannot get the money refunded. (A CY beachfront property)

Last edited by CJKatl; Dec 13, 2010 at 4:58 pm
Old Dec 14, 2010, 7:41 pm

Give the hotel a call directly. It can't hurt to try.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, PCR Platinum, and SPG Gold
one of the hotels responded saying they will waive Still waiting on the response from the other. Will call if we don't here anything.

Thanks again for all of your replies.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 7:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Third - and this bothers me - even if you are charged, you do not get the MR credit. I understand why this is done, but it still irks me.
On one hand, it seems like Marriott might benefit from people taking "virtual mattress runs." (VMRs!! ) Free revenue with little to no tangible cost...figure anybody who cares enough to do that plans on actually using their goal status the next year.

But I guess the problem is that we (Flyertalkers) would quickly figure out exactly which specific Fairfield Inn in the world was optimal and bombard them with "VMRs", thus impacting their ability to fill the hotel with real guests.

Maybe Marriott should sell VMR's. Of course, that would likely be accompanied with a strict interpretation on requalification as opposed to today's more lenient approach on people who are very close...
Old Dec 16, 2010, 9:15 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by pinniped

But I guess the problem is that we (Flyertalkers) would quickly figure out exactly which specific Fairfield Inn in the world was optimal and bombard them with "VMRs", thus impacting their ability to fill the hotel with real guests.
You are likely correct. A friend of mine will be checking into the Alpharetta GA SHS this Saturday at $44/night just so she can get to 75 nights and make Plat for the first time. I found that for her in no time flat. Being in ATL, we can usually find a MR that is pretty cheap.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CJKatl
You are likely correct. A friend of mine will be checking into the Alpharetta GA SHS this Saturday at $44/night just so she can get to 75 nights and make Plat for the first time. I found that for her in no time flat. Being in ATL, we can usually find a MR that is pretty cheap.
Dallas is another good one...always a North Dallas CY in the $45 range.

(Oddly enough, the Fairfield Inns are never that cheap. It's Courtyards that get seriously cheap.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.