Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Las Vegas Cosmopolitan Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 19, 2013, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Hotel Website: The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, Autograph Collection
Official List of Cosmopolitan Bonvoy Elite Benefits: https://www.cosmopolitanlasvegas.com/marriott-bonvoy-at-the-cosmopolitan-of-las-vegas

The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, the only charges that qualify for Points are as follows:
- Room rate, room service food and beverage, in-room movies, phone calls and in-room minibar purchases
- Points cannot be earned on any other purchases at hotel outlets or for hotel services

The Cosmopolitan is a "resort," so basically the only elite benny is a possible upgrade. Elites are not exempt from the resort fee

Resort fee is $39+tax effective 01/01/2019. Also as of that date, parking (self & valet) is complimentary for hotel guests.

Cosmopolitan is exempt from providing free wifi to Plats per Marriott's T&Cs, however it is included with the mandatory $39 daily resort fee so there is still no extra charge to any guest for using it.

Platinums receive:

* use of Platinum check-in area (to the left of main desks)

* Platinum arrival gift is $10FB coupon or 1,000 points

* room upgrade (space available) - better luck on mid-week stays than weekend stays. sometimes a 'sandwich' (ie, bribe) to front desk does the trick.

* free tea/coffee 6am - noon in the plat lobby check-in area

* Wicked Spoon: Marriott Rewards Platinums (and PPs) get to use preferred line and get 15% discount when staying at the property. Just show your MR Plat or PP card.
You can book through Virtuoso as well as Amex FHR for complimentary breakfast buffet at Wicked spoon.

Resort fee:

* $39 (+ tax) per day for resort fee, which includes gym access, local + long distance calls, Wifi, pool access. The resort fee is not waived.

Receiving Bonvoy Points for a Stay:

Many have reported needing to follow up to have Marriott Bonvoy points manually posted post stay (they do not typically post automatically.) A tip is to email [email protected] shortly after a stay asking them to manually forward your folio to Marriott Bonvoy for processing.

Hat tip to billycwhatup for this:

* Identity points and MR points can not be earned on the same stay

Other tips

The Terrace Suites are the most common room type and are classified as studio and one bedroom, with options for King, 2 Queens with or without a fountain view. They are essentially the same size, however (10 sq ft difference), but the layouts differ.

The King Studio Suite has a standard bathroom with shower and tub, a living room area with large sitting area and an L shaped sofa and the bed is in a separate area, though not separated.

The King One BR Suite has the same kind of living room area, with the bedroom separated by sliding doors and the bathroom is larger, with a "soaking tub".

If you get a terrace suite of any kind with 2 Queens, the living area will be smaller.

And unless your room type is described as "fountain view", you aren't guaranteed it, though Platinum status will get you upgraded on check in if they have one available.

If you book any of these room types and want to aim higher, I would try a giving the receptionist a 50$ "sandwich", and ask if any wraparounds upgrades would be available. If they say yes, there is a good chance that it will be a wraparound facing south-east or south-west, which for me would be a no go. Taste in view is personal of course, but for me the fountain-Eiffel tower view are so much nicer than the south facing views. Also when you would have the choice between a low level wraparound or high level terrace suite, I would still take the high level terrace suite, because a number of floors on the east tower are blocked by the big Bellagio sign. (see youtube vids).

If you really want a high level wraparound then you probably would have to pay, which can sometimes be not that much. If I'm not mistaken I think they offered me a wraparound at 150$ per night more, but we originally booked a 1 bedroom terrace room without view.

Last tip : If you would get the choice of wraparound I would definitely take a high floor east tower one, facing north-east. That would give you bellagio fountain + eiffel tower view, but also a good portion of the south strip.

Print Wikipost

Las Vegas Cosmopolitan Hotel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2017, 1:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update!

Cheers.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by azmojo
A tip might help, I think $20 would do it if you are just trying to get fountain views or a 1BR instead of a studio or if you want a high room, etc. I'm not sure making it $50 gets you anything more vs $20 but that's just my take. The upgrade from studio to 1BR and even the fountain view upgrade isn't that much anyway if you are already planning to part with $50 maybe you should just pay for it...

The fountain views from the Chelsea tower are OK but the Blvd tower is definitely better.

For me, the benefits of the Cosmo room are the balcony which I really enjoy and the convenience of the parking... of all hotels it is the most efficient for getting from room to hotel. I also like it's location where I can zip across the street to "pedestrian food" if I choose or buzz over to Aria.
Thanks for the opinion.

For some reason Cosmo is fairly expensive during weekdays that I'm going (Aug 15 - 18). RIght now on Chase a basic Studio Terrace (which is what I booked) is $317/night.

I'm really only looking for an upgrade from a standard studio terrace to a 1BR Terrace with Fountain Views..which is retailing for $425/night on Chase UR portal. SO that's more than $100/night...so $300+ tax.

So this is why I figured even a $50 tip is cheaper if I can get that room....since I'm really hoping to have a high high likelihood of getting that upgrade from a non-view studio to a Fountain View 1BR terrace.

Plus I agree with you in that Boulevard tower seems to be the better tower for getting nice strip views.

From other sites I've been reading, it appears that those few who did tip $50 almost always got something upgraded and the check-in agent seemed to work harder as well.

My reasoning for trying a bit higher tip would be:
-Booked basic Terrace Studio with no guarantee of Tower or View
-Upgrade to 1BR
-Upgrade to Fountain View
-Choose Boulevard Tower
-Prefer higher floor (but not too high as some say too high of a floor makes it actually less exciting as you're looking down too much on everything)
-Potentially other perks? (resort fee waived, buffet line pass.......)

Of course I'm still debating if I should ask for the ultimate upgrade (aside from the ultra high end penthouses) to what is supposedly the best rooms in the house: Wrapround Suite in the Boulevard Tower facing Fountain Views. Only downside to this is that the hot tub is not right next to the window...which is a HUGE plus I think for my GF in the 1BR Terrace.

I'll try to remember to report back with my results after I checkin....

Originally Posted by mab
BTW, they seem to only offer a 2pm late checkout to Marriott Gold/Plat. But I got 4pm with no problem because I booked via Amex FHR.

If you're Marriott plat, you DEFINITELY want to use the Autograph lounge checkin area. It's a zoo at the regular checkin desk area.
Good info. I'm not a Marriot member but hopefully the check-in won't be too much of a zoo since I'm arriving around 8am on a Tuesday...
Old Aug 6, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |
Instead of risking the "sandwich tip" I went ahead and booked a terrace studio due to maybe low availability as the Mayweather-McGregor fight is close to my stay.

The first call was a minor issue (spelled my own first name wrong) and it was "fixed". Second call was to upgrade room type-transferred to Marriott as I booked with them and was a better experience. Marriott call was alright but was informed I needed to call Cosmo back for a refund for the first reservation, even though the "second" reservation was just an upgraded room. Third call to Cosmo fixed everything; was correctly informed that I will be charged the difference not refunded and then charged again, this call was by far the best, actually fixed my name-Identity points are being generously thrown around but comes with good play and bonuses while making large purchases of course....The customer service employee even told me what time she usually works haha
Old Aug 7, 2017, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by SpicyMorale
Instead of risking the "sandwich tip" I went ahead and booked a terrace studio due to maybe low availability as the Mayweather-McGregor fight is close to my stay.

The first call was a minor issue (spelled my own first name wrong) and it was "fixed". Second call was to upgrade room type-transferred to Marriott as I booked with them and was a better experience. Marriott call was alright but was informed I needed to call Cosmo back for a refund for the first reservation, even though the "second" reservation was just an upgraded room. Third call to Cosmo fixed everything; was correctly informed that I will be charged the difference not refunded and then charged again, this call was by far the best, actually fixed my name-Identity points are being generously thrown around but comes with good play and bonuses while making large purchases of course....The customer service employee even told me what time she usually works haha
Dang. Yes if you're staying the week/weekend of Aug 26....it's gonna be a madhouse and I highly doubt any amount of tip will work as rooms are likely sold out that week. I know on bellagio and cosmo sites they both showed Aug 26 as a black out date for check-in and Aug 26 only allows check-out.

This definitely the way to go if you want to guarantee a room as highly popular times like that (big even on a weekend) will mean likely complete hotel sell out of rooms.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:50 am

First time staying at the Cosmo - I ~really~ want to get a fountain view. Are there views better than this?

Also are there any promos lately? I had seen buy three nights get the 4th free.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: Delta PM
Am I the only one on FT who doesn't mind a non fountain view? You can watch planes come and go all day long on the other side! #avgeek haha
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by JayTeaBee
Am I the only one on FT who doesn't mind a non fountain view? You can watch planes come and go all day long on the other side!
Fountain view got boring real fast for me.

Now, a west tower corner suite on 55 facing McCarran was much more entertaining from the wraparound balcony!
Old Aug 10, 2017, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by Tanic
Fountain view got boring real fast for me.

Now, a west tower corner suite on 55 facing McCarran was much more entertaining from the wraparound balcony!
Fountain view never gets boring for me. The only thing missing is the music.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Cosmopolitan undergoing a large room renovation starting today. Details in the article:

http://www.meetings-conventions.com/[email protected]

Cheers.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Interesting. While I applaud their serious investment in the property (by all accounts, the common area changes were for the better), I question whether a full rooms redesign so early in the lifecycle is the best use of capital.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by ginmqi
Dang. Yes if you're staying the week/weekend of Aug 26....it's gonna be a madhouse...
We booked that weekend months ago (before we knew about the fight). I'm not particularly looking forward to the crowds
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Cosmopolitan undergoing a large room renovation starting today. Details in the article:

http://www.meetings-conventions.com/[email protected]

Cheers.
We stayed in one of the revamped model rooms last weekend (a 1 bedroom terrace suite on the 69th floor of the Boulevard / East Tower). I really do like the new design - and although the hotel isn't that old it was due for a freshening up. Only complaint is that (at least in this room) they removed the wet bar.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Toronto1970
although the hotel isn't that old it was due for a freshening up.
I believe you, but have to wonder how badly they cheaped out on the construction and furnishings in the first place if things are looking worn out already.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:50 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
I believe you, but have to wonder how badly they cheaped out on the construction and furnishings in the first place if things are looking worn out already.
The Cosmopolitan was constructed to be condos. It quickly changed into a hotel when the real estate market in NV collapsed. There was probably minimal planning to furnish the buildings as a hotel.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 1:58 am

Programs: AA Life Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
7 years will age ANY property. Those rooms get used hard. They need to refresh the rooms to keep charging the rates they are getting.

Glad they are adding the tech. It was techy when it opened by they removed a lot of the controls, like the fancy phone that controlled the lights. I miss the wooden "privacy" paddles. I assume they kept getting stolen though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.