Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Concierge - $1000 gift cheques after 12/31/10?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Concierge - $1000 gift cheques after 12/31/10?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2011, 9:29 pm

Can these be used with a Friends and Family rate?
Old Feb 5, 2011, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM, AA Gold, MR Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond
What would you do?

Have been with MR for over a decade but just learned about these gift checks. Could any of the gurus who use these often give me your recommendation on whether to use or not (and why)?

Details:
6-night stay at a Cat 6 resort, total room cost including taxes will be $2000.

Have well over 1.3M MR points in the account so a hit for 270,000 would be noticeable but not devastating.

Could afford the $2K hotel bill but would rather use the checks/points if they are a better value. Rooms are not available for MR redemption on my dates.

Can anyone help me get my head around the math? Thanks!
Old Feb 5, 2011, 4:26 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by FormerLurker
Have been with MR for over a decade but just learned about these gift checks. Could any of the gurus who use these often give me your recommendation on whether to use or not (and why)?

Details:
6-night stay at a Cat 6 resort, total room cost including taxes will be $2000.

Have well over 1.3M MR points in the account so a hit for 270,000 would be noticeable but not devastating.

Could afford the $2K hotel bill but would rather use the checks/points if they are a better value. Rooms are not available for MR redemption on my dates.

Can anyone help me get my head around the math? Thanks!
Based solely on the facts you have outlined, I would order the certs.

#1 It will cost you 270,000; but you will earn 30,000 back; more if you have the credit card to cover whatever the chequest do not.

#2 Points are a depreciating commodity. The longer you hang on to them, the less they are worth.

#3 Why spend $2K in cash when you have 1.3M in points just sitting there?

Although it doesn't come into play in your scenario, if you could book the room on points, it would cost you 150K - but you would not earn nights towards status, nor would you earn any points, mega bonus points, etc.

In this situation, we would order more than are needed for the room rate....since they will cover anything, we would charge everything (restaurants, spa, water sports, etc) to the room, and then use them to pay the entire bill.

Last edited by sophiegirl; Feb 5, 2011 at 5:53 pm Reason: oops- forgot 5th night free in points calculation...
Old Feb 5, 2011, 5:01 pm

Thanks - that was my initial reaction as well but didn't know whether I was missing something. (Although I don't see myself getting anything for CC spend as there will be nothing put on the card at checkout if I use $2K worth of checks.)
Old Feb 5, 2011, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It would actually cost 150K for the rooms- since the fifth night is free.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 5:30 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
FormerLurker, 6 nights at a cat 6 will cost you 120K (for 5 nights) + 30K (1 night) = 150K points. If you use Cheques, it'll cost you 270K - 30K = 240K points.

It doesn't always make sense to use cheques. I'd simply book the room on 150K points.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 5:50 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
According to the OP, the room is not available on points...; so it may make more sense, but isn't an option.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
It doesn't always make sense to use cheques. I'd simply book the room on 150K points.
Would love to - but not an option for my dates. That's why I was trying to decide whether just paying outright or using the checks was the better option.

As an additional data point (which doesn't really matter since rooms for MR points aren't available), the redemption rate if using points would be considerably above the regular 150K rate - the $2K is for an oceanfront, which at this property is at least a two-category upgrade, if not more.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Where do you go to order these? Every time I look on the marriott site it sends me to skymall, where it costs 190,000 for $1000
Old Feb 5, 2011, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by njcommodore
Where do you go to order these? Every time I look on the marriott site it sends me to skymall, where it costs 190,000 for $1000
https://www.marriott.com/rewards/mor...points=135,000
Old Feb 5, 2011, 8:35 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by sophiegirl
According to the OP, the room is not available on points...; so it may make more sense, but isn't an option.
Ah, I missed that. Good point, plus the OP pointed out the double room upgrade.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 8:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
I have a lot of experience using gift cheques in the past few years. I cashed out $4,000 worth just last year.

I've never had any issues or conflicts with the rate I booked the room at and using cheques. They're just like cash. Book your lowest rate and then go for it. Anything you can bill to the room can be paid for with cheques. I've paid for dinner, gift shop stuff, parking, spa visits, bar tabs, park & fly, hair braids, paddle boat rentals, amusement park tickets and one really big pool bar tab at the Aruba Marriott.

A few tips:
1. I always mention that I will be using gift cheques to the clerk when I check in and make sure they'll accept them.
2. Sign them before you leave home and safe guard them like cash. Keep them in the hotel safe or go ahead and give some or all of them to the clerk to credit to your account.
3. Email or call the property ahead of time when traveling internationally to make sure they'll accept them. Remember, they're issued in USD.
4. Allow time for the clerk to process them at checkout. $2,000 worth will take a while.
5. Check your balance before you check out and don't be afraid to round up the bill to something just over the next $50 cheque you have by visiting the gift shop or similar venue. That's how I picked up a jar of really good peach preserves and some tweezers at the Atlanta Marriott Suites Midtown.
6. They can be used by anyone so don't be afraid to gift them to family and friends to use. They also make a great charity giveaway for auctions or just to say thanks to some deserving person.
7. Since they're just like cash, you can take advantage of Marriott promotions like the pay with Visa thing. Leave a little bit on the bill and pay with your Visa card. The bill comes across as fully paid by a Visa card. Points, points and more points!
8. You don't have to be a guest to use them. Take your sweetie out to dinner at a nice hotel restaurant.
Old Feb 7, 2011, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by GeorgeBurdell
I have a lot of experience using gift cheques in the past few years. I cashed out $4,000 worth just last year.

I've never had any issues or conflicts with the rate I booked the room at and using cheques. They're just like cash. Book your lowest rate and then go for it. Anything you can bill to the room can be paid for with cheques. I've paid for dinner, gift shop stuff, parking, spa visits, bar tabs, park & fly, hair braids, paddle boat rentals, amusement park tickets and one really big pool bar tab at the Aruba Marriott.
I would love to used these in August were I have used 6 nights booked on a friends and family rate of $99 instead of using 100,000 points for the nights. I can't tell if this is legal???
Old Feb 19, 2011, 3:02 pm

I just used Marriott Cheques along with a Marriott gift card to pay for a recent hotel stay. My night and points were credited today but I only received points for the portion of the bill that was paid with the gift card. It's my understanding that I should have received points for the portion of the bill that was paid with Marriott Cheques as well. Just double checking....... And of course, Marriott Rewards customer service is closed on the weekend.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 4:01 pm
iwc

Originally Posted by Mouse13
I just used Marriott Cheques along with a Marriott gift card to pay for a recent hotel stay. My night and points were credited today but I only received points for the portion of the bill that was paid with the gift card. It's my understanding that I should have received points for the portion of the bill that was paid with Marriott Cheques as well. Just double checking....... And of course, Marriott Rewards customer service is closed on the weekend.
You are right points should be earned on total revenue. MR customer service works emails on the weekend. Give it a try.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.