Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Concierge - $1000 gift cheques after 12/31/10?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Concierge - $1000 gift cheques after 12/31/10?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2010, 9:20 am

Thanks for the info, and guess what, I'd hold on to it since it's 135k points instead of 100k...
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:07 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis First
i just ordered my $1000 and actually got 2 sets of them!

Nice ... for me > i can use these as a "cash out" for poitns.

pay for the biz travel with certs and paid back cash from the biz.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by AustinFlyer76
i just ordered my $1000 and actually got 2 sets of them!

Nice ... for me > i can use these as a "cash out" for poitns.

pay for the biz travel with certs and paid back cash from the biz.
For only 135k points? If so then I should give it a try! :P
Old Nov 19, 2010, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I only got one, what did I do wrong?
Old Nov 19, 2010, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis First
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I only got one, what did I do wrong?
My typo here guys ... before i start a FT Holy War -

I meant "i bought two sets of the $1000 gift cards because the opportunity to cash them out was so good" - not that I bought 1 and received 2.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Mine arrived and have an expiry of 15 Nov 2011.

Yes I realize that better value can be had using points for hotels in Asia, Moscow etc. but I have no plans to go to any of those places. And I am sitting on 2 MM Marriott Points and getting close to Marriott Lifetime Platinum. Also retired in August so travelling less and keen to make LT Pt before I lose Pt status in Feb 2012.

So for me it makes sense. Even though in the distant past I have gotten 2 cpp for Vail Marriott in ski season (before devaluation), lately all the redemptions I have looked at have been about a penny a point - using the Cheques I get 0.83 cpp AND I get elite night credit towards LT Pt. And since I am now retired and living on a pension and my portfolio, I think it makes sense to spend some of my 2MM Marriott points rather than liquidate more of my portfolio.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whew, I was wavering between jealous and judgemental on that one. I'd rather spend points than real money too- and since we are mostly travelling with the kids and not to Asia or Moscow or wherever, it works for us depending on where we are headed.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 2:23 pm
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

Hello all,

Good news. I got word that currently we do plan on extending the Elite Only Gift Cheque rewards into next year.

Kind regards,

Marie
Old Nov 23, 2010, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gld, SPG Gld, Hyatt, PC, CBP Global Entry
Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge
Hello all,

Good news. I got word that currently we do plan on extending the Elite Only Gift Cheque rewards into next year.

Kind regards,

Marie
Great. I have enough pts to buy another set, but want to preserve some pts since the family is planning a trip to Paris next year. Using points seem to be a better choice especially getting the fifth night free. But it's good to hear that I still have this option next year. Thanks Marie!
Old Nov 23, 2010, 6:52 pm

Programs: IHG PC - Plat, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by njxbean
I think it depends on your situation. I'm using these for a stay next month. The room price is $89 a night and it costs less points to do this(and i get points back and credit for the nights) then paying the points outright.
one thing to keep in mind is that no change is given back on these cheques. They are in increments of $50 and must be spent in that increment. If the total bill is say $123.00, you can use 2 cheques and put the $23 balance on your credit card.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
I have a question on these gift certs. Can they be used on Shop Marriott.com to buy the JW King size bed set (with all sheets) for like $3000?
Old Nov 24, 2010, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Marriott Concierge
Hello all,

Kind regards,

Marie
Thanks Marie. Very much appreciated. Your presence here on FT is very helpful and part of what keeps me loyal to Marriott. 860 lifetime nights and working on Lifetime Platinum!
Old Feb 2, 2011, 4:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum; UAL Silver
Looks like a few have said it takes about a week to receive the cheques. I'm looking to cash in points for cheques for a stay the first week of March and want to make sure I'll receive them in time. Anyone else have turnaround times?

Thanks.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 5:19 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
SaintsFan, it takes less than a week to get them. Order yours on Valentine's Day just to make sure that you get them on time.

I've been using these cheques for several years and they always return the next year. For those of you worrying about them going away sometime in the future, I don't see that happening - it's possible, but not likely.
And in the few years that I've been using them, it's always been 135K pts for $1000 (for elites - silver, gold, plat, PP). The number of points for $1000 in cheques will probably change sometime in the future, but in this low inflation environment, I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Last edited by iflyjetz; Feb 2, 2011 at 5:29 pm
Old Feb 2, 2011, 5:35 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
I have always been offered the option of express shipping, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.