Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Waikoloa Beach Marriott (Kona, Hawaii) [Master Thread]

Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Westcoaster
Hotel website: Waikoloa Beach Marriott (Kona, Hawaii)

Daily resort fee of USD 30 in addition to room rate includes self-parking, cultural activities, beach rentals and more. NOTE: Effective September 14, 2017 they no longer include self-parking in with resort fee benefits. Parking is charged separately.
Print Wikipost

Waikoloa Beach Marriott (Kona, Hawaii) [Master Thread]

Old May 25, 2017, 4:58 pm

Just remove the 2 children from the reservation. The Marriott system was previously set up only for people, and not being able to inform that there are children. Now they make the distinction, but the system still is reading it as 4 adults. If you were to show up, they would remove the extra adult charge.
Old May 26, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by joeags
...The Marriott system was previously set up only for people...
As opposed to, say, aardvarks? Sorry, my childish brain couldn't resist.

Out of curiosity I called the hotel and they said that there was no charge for children under the age of 18 staying in a room with parents. The lady sounded a bit uncertain at first so if ajcopley wanted to call and verify it might not be a bad idea. Perhaps they could add a note to the reservation to that effect.
Old May 26, 2017, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by joeags
Just remove the 2 children from the reservation. The Marriott system was previously set up only for people, and not being able to inform that there are children. Now they make the distinction, but the system still is reading it as 4 adults. If you were to show up, they would remove the extra adult charge.
This.

The oddity with the website is that when searching for hotels it initially asks you to specify the number of adults and the number of children. Then after you've selected a particular property the rate search panel on the right side of the screen defaults to "Guests/Room" rather than distinguishing adults and children. It simply shows the total number of guests. So your Total Taxes and Fees link gives you the fees assuming all guests are adults because the rate search panel does not differentiate adult and child guests.

On a related note, when searching for rates with multiple adults and children at the Marriott Waikoloa and clicking on the Total Taxes and Fees link it shows the extra adult fees, but it also states "Extra adult charge (children may be exempted)". So they acknowledge that the fees shown may not apply to child guests.
Old May 27, 2017, 12:46 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Has anyone stayed here recently? I have a stay in a couple weeks and wanted to know if all construction is done?
What are the current benefits offered to Platinum members?
Any suggestions for nearby restaurants?
Thanks
Old May 27, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Originally Posted by holocker
Has anyone stayed here recently? I have a stay in a couple weeks and wanted to know if all construction is done?
What are the current benefits offered to Platinum members?
Any suggestions for nearby restaurants?
Thanks
If you are willing to drive inland 20 minutes go to Pueo’s Osteria.

Merriman's is also good as usual, but it is a longer drive to the north.

There is a Roy's right there if you like that chain.

We didn't care for Brown's Beach House (surprisingly poor service for a Fairmont), or Lava Lava Beach Club- somehow there was no greaqt ambiance there despite having tables on the beach.

Last edited by highops; May 27, 2017 at 8:35 am
Old May 27, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by highops
If you are willing to drive inland 20 minutes go to Pueos Osteria.
I wholeheartedly second this recommendation. It was probably our best meal on the island--not traditional Hawaiian, and clearly much more geared toward locals, but the food was delicious and the service genuinely good.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:12 am

I stayed here in the hotel side from 7/3 - 7/11. I do have some notes from the trip. If anyone wants non-hotel related notes just ask.

Here's my notes for the hotel:
1) Received very friendly greeting at front desk. Asked about upgraded room, was given 6292 (top floor, two double beds) which is the farthest room out except for the row of Ocean Front rooms. Overlooked the pool and decent ocean and volcano view. Probably one of the best rooms available without spending for big upgrade.
2) Room wasn't as big as hoped, but we didn't come here to stay in the room.
3) No microwave, small mini-fridge.
4) Wall separating bathroom from main room is glass with cloth for privacy. Terrible design as it floods main room with light when bathroom light is on.
5) Room A/C would turn on when door to Lanai was opened. Thermostat located directly below A/C gave very wrong room temp reading and Auto mode was way off. A/C pumped in cold air just fine.
6) Was given 4PM late checkout after originally offered 2PM. Gave front desk clerk candy bars as thanks.
7) TV had several missing channels. Front desk told Maintenance who called and left message saying it's a provider issue and they are waiting for them to fix it. There was a note in the room about new channels being installed on 7/3. Never saw missing channels during stay.
8) Hotel orientation on morning after arrival had continental breakfast, and was informative.
9) Hotel needs to make large pool, of the 3, adults only.
10) Hotel spreads out bread on lawns in the A.M. that attracts locals birds to include Nene's.
11) Lots of Mongoose and a few cats on site but they keep to themselves.
12) Protected salt water pools in between hotel and beach are scenic and have lots of fish.
13) Didn't go to the restaurant located just south of the hotel, but it was always packed and seemed to have a good fun crowd.
14) Two shopping centers very close by with stores, restaurants and a food court.
15) Island Gourmet Market located in Queens shopping center has everything that you could need. Open 7AM - 11PM. Also has a good (big portions and good food) deli counter that cooks up all kinds of meals. Deli counter area also has a small sushi counter that makes a variety of good quality packaged selections that are very reasonably priced considering the location. Very good fresh two-packs of muffins in deli counter area. This store can save you a lot of cash if you shop here and keep in mind limited fridge space in hotel.

Hotel amenities:
1) Fourth of July buffet in hotel was priced at $55 per person. Limited selection of foods. What was offered was good, especially Prime Rib, but crab was awful. Looked bad, overcooked. Told front desk clerk who noted it, but never got back to me. I see a $25 refund on bill which may be related, not sure.
2) Took hour Hyrdobike rental from beach in front of the hotel. Restricted area to use bikes, but hour is long enough. Overpriced at $52.06 for 2 people for 30 mins. Hour rental would've only been $10 more.
3) Didn't try to snorkel in A-Bay. Rocks a few hundred yards from shore didn't appear to have coral, but must have fish.
4) A-Bay beach is mostly sandy. Considering it's on Big Island, probably as good as could be expected.
5) Hotel gift store open until 11PM.
6) Didn't attend the onsite Luau.

Marriott Vacation Club:
1) Took what was supposed to be a 1 hour presentation that turned out to be over 2 hours.
2) They offered a discount on the price that would expire unless I bought plan then and there. Had four people talk during visit. Sales person, her boss, sales manager, and another sales person.
3) Can transfer Marriott Club points to use for Rewards at 40 to 1 ratio, not other way.
4) Did math afterwards and found that 2500 points per year costs ~$500 per month ($6k/yr) which is only good for one week stay.
5) Nice suite but way overpriced.
6) Obvious club isn't prepared for Rewards lifetime members questions.
7) Was awarded 12,500 reward points for my time.
8) Free coffee and snack along with 12,500 points makes it worthwhile even if you have no intention of buying.

Panoramic shot from the room. The volcano is hidden in the clouds.
Attached Images   
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Rockyrat
I stayed here in the hotel side from 7/3 - 7/11. I do have some notes from the trip. If anyone wants non-hotel related notes just ask....
Thanks for all of the info. Nice pictures! Can you tell me if the ocean front rooms are out close to the water? I checked the website but it's hard to tell just where they are located.

We have also run into hotels where the thermostat is right below the A/C vent, making the A/C turn off prematurely. I found that using the blow dryer to dry my hair near the thermostat got the A/C to run longer.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Westcoaster
Can you tell me if the ocean front rooms are out close to the water? I checked the website but it's hard to tell just where they are located.
I found this room category map via a Bing Images search.

Unfortunately, the room types in the image don't directly match the room types shown in the Marriott booking website. The image is probably old an out of date. However, I'd guess that the Ocean Front category probably hasn't changed. That means some of their Ocean Front rooms may not be close to the ocean.

The quickest way to get accurate information is probably to call the hotel direct during their normal business hours. Ask for the on-site Reservations office. 808-886-6789
Old Jul 28, 2017, 10:23 pm

Good idea. I'll call tomorrow. Thanks!
Old Jul 29, 2017, 8:29 am

"Rooms close to the water" all depends on your interpretation of the word "close". All of the tide pool area in between the hedges of the grassy area just past the pools all the way to the beach itself is off limits. There is one path through the middle of that area to the beach. Going off of the path anywhere in the area in and around the hotel is prohibited and will not go over well with the locals. It's probably a 2 minute walk from the closest rooms to the beach.

As far as the room category map is concerned I'm pretty sure that all of the rooms in the Ka'ahumanu Tower (right side tower in the map) are now MVC rooms. I know that the one that they showed to me during the tour is in there.

Also as shown in the map, the top 3 floors of the Kamehameha Tower on the left are considered "Ocean Front" and I think that each room would take up 2 of the squares shown. There are very few "Ocean Front" rooms and they couldn't be farther from the one set of elevators.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Can you tell me if the ocean front rooms are out close to the water?
Originally Posted by Rockyrat
"Rooms close to the water" all depends on your interpretation of the word "close". All of the tide pool area in between the hedges of the grassy area just past the pools all the way to the beach itself is off limits. There is one path through the middle of that area to the beach. Going off of the path anywhere in the area in and around the hotel is prohibited and will not go over well with the locals. It's probably a 2 minute walk from the closest rooms to the beach.

As far as the room category map is concerned I'm pretty sure that all of the rooms in the Ka'ahumanu Tower (right side tower in the map) are now MVC rooms. I know that the one that they showed to me during the tour is in there.

Also as shown in the map, the top 3 floors of the Kamehameha Tower on the left are considered "Ocean Front" and I think that each room would take up 2 of the squares shown. There are very few "Ocean Front" rooms and they couldn't be farther from the one set of elevators.
As Rockyrat and writerguyfl have posted, none of the rooms are "out close to the water" unless you'd define close to be 500 to 800 to 1000 feet - the closest rooms are those in the Ka'ahumanu Tower/MVC part of the property but ya still gotta walk. Here are images from Google Maps as well as two shots from my trip in May.

There's a small lava rock emplacement and a series of fish ponds between the Marriott Waikoloa/MVC (or the more formal names of Waikoloa Beach Marriott Resort & Spa/Marriotts Waikoloa Ocean Club).

The final image from the Marriott website really gives you the perspective of standing in the middle of the walkways to/from the beach. But, to be honest, that perspective is much of the Big Island - lava fields everywhere.

David
Attached Images      
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:06 pm

Thanks to all for the info. I did call the hotel today. In house reservations is closed on weekends but the lady who answered the phone was able to tell me that ocean front rooms are floors 4-6 in the two beach-facing ends of the U that is the Kamehameha Tower -- as Rockyrat said and not too different from what writerguy's diagram shows. And as Rockyrat says the other tower is now MVC.

From a view perspective we would prefer the MVC location as we are not interested in the pool view and would rather have the more unobstructed and less busy view of the beach and ocean. But the MVC isn't an option.

We're trying to decide between our first stay here and staying at the nearby Hilton where we have stayed twice before. Pros and cons at both places. Now at least we know what ocean front looks like at both. Lots of other factors to consider. Maybe I'll set up a spreadsheet to compare.

Thanks again everyone.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
But the MVC isn't an option.
Cost or room unavailability?

David

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.