Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by RogerD408
If you've been reading upthread, there are some of us that don't read the new rules as being limited to only ONE meeting. Until someone ventures out and pushes the issue, we won't know. Read the T&Cs for yourself and decide. I'll bet, worst case, they will grant a "one-time exception" for the meeting.
If you want to join the fun debate about the interpretation of the leaked new Marriott Rewards T&C for the merged program and website language (e.g. members.marriott.com rewarding events page), then join the thread Rewarding Events changes after August 18 to see the prior discussion and exact language (specifically .

To state that there are different interpretations of the language about rewarding events and the 10 nights applying either only to the first meeting or to each meeting contract would be putting it mildly, to say the least
Old Aug 15, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, National Executive Elite
My events say Cancelled too even though I showed up for all of them
Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by mroseman13
My events say Cancelled too even though I showed up for all of them
Seems to be normal.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
They always say cancelled in your account activity, Nothing to worry about,
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: AY+ Platsku, CM Silver, Frontier Elite 100K, Marriott Gold and LT Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador.
Originally Posted by phltraveler
If you want to join the fun debate about the interpretation of the leaked new Marriott Rewards T&C for the merged program and website language (e.g. members.marriott.com rewarding events page), then join the thread Rewarding Events changes after August 18 to see the prior discussion and exact language (specifically .

To state that there are different interpretations of the language about rewarding events and the 10 nights applying either only to the first meeting or to each meeting contract would be putting it mildly, to say the least
The link says Page not Found
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Venezuela-Miami
The link says Page not Found
Works for me on the desktop. Try again.

Sometimes I've had bizarre link issues where sporadically the links in forum posts here link as

Code:
https://www.flyertalk.com/!restoftheurl
The key part is that it shows not found due to the ! (exclamation mark).
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: AY+ Platsku, CM Silver, Frontier Elite 100K, Marriott Gold and LT Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador.
Now found, thanks!
Old Aug 23, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
Thanks for reopening Bruce

Question for people who did the Rewarding Events before the Aug 18:

I moved a bunch of meetings to Marriott, and ended up during the year getting 80 elite nights via the Rewarding Events (average spend per meeting was $900, these were 'real meetings'). I was Platinum Premier as supposed to be once the new programme launched. However, once I merged my SPG + Marriott, even though my total nights are now at 99 (80 rewarding events + 19 paid), I am only Platinum Elite, not Platinum Premier.

In my book, I should be PP.. anyone else in same boat? I've emailed Marriott but likely won't get a response for a while..
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoyed Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by brokenwindow

I moved a bunch of meetings to Marriott, and ended up during the year getting 80 elite nights via the Rewarding Events (average spend per meeting was $900, these were 'real meetings'). I was Platinum Premier as supposed to be once the new programme launched. However, once I merged my SPG + Marriott, even though my total nights are now at 99 (80 rewarding events + 19 paid), I am only Platinum Elite, not Platinum Premier.

In my book, I should be PP.. anyone else in same boat? I've emailed Marriott but likely won't get a response for a while..

I had a similar issue where it showed Plat premier online and app it just showed plat elite. They fixed it but I still havent merged my accounts yet. Just wait till IT fixes the issues, its the same issue with nights and lifetime levels. Dont worry I dont think they'll screw you. The merger didnt go very well, today is the 23rd and still problems.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Updated the participating brands in the FAQ per https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/ear...ding-events.mi - basically added Starwood hotels & Protea, and updated the brand names. Residence Inn, TownPlace, and Executive Apartments continue as non-earning/non-participating brands.

Caution: for those stumbling across this thread, please read through the post-Aug 18 thread linked at Post #3053 above by bdschobel, and note that the Group Posting Tool will be new to former Starwood brands & properties so YMMV!

Originally Posted by tryanjordan
I don't think Fairfield Inn properties participate in Rewarding Events, but I could be mistaken.
Yes, Fairfield does!
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:04 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Question for those who did quite a few meetings, does your account let you choose the SNAs/other options ?

I did a couple of meetings but fall short on 50 hotel nights, but over it with meetings, yet unable to choose SNA or the other options.

Weirdly the website in my status bar towards ambassador shows only the hotel night count whereas the app shows my yearly night count. So I'm a bit lost here as to if there is any logic behind how Marriott is counting here or if it's just a bug.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by brokenwindow

There's another thread that covers that specific topic, today late afternoon they probably made a system sweep and most of the statuses finally mapped correctly:

Showing as platinum status when I was Marriott platinum prior to merger
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, RR A-List
Originally Posted by GVA
Question for those who did quite a few meetings, does your account let you choose the SNAs/other options ?

I did a couple of meetings but fall short on 50 hotel nights, but over it with meetings, yet unable to choose SNA or the other options.

Weirdly the website in my status bar towards ambassador shows only the hotel night count whereas the app shows my yearly night count. So I'm a bit lost here as to if there is any logic behind how Marriott is counting here or if it's just a bug.
I don't think anyone can pick SNAs yet, can they?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kerrigjl
I don't think anyone can pick SNAs yet, can they?
correct

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.