Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat Marriott Gold HHGold UA Silver
If I am Gold now, which will be Platinum after. Am I correct in thinking I only need 50 nights for the new watered down Platinum status?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by ethan76
If I am Gold now, which will be Platinum after. Am I correct in thinking I only need 50 nights for the new watered down Platinum status?
How did you get your Gold status? It makes a difference in what level you will be. 50 nights is the bottom number to get Platinum.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RafKa
Has anyone successfully had multiple meetings on a same day posted ok?

The deadline is looming and a couple of my "event organizers" went AWOL so I might want to double-book a couple of days to hedge my bets...
Yes, I had 2 meetings each day for multiple consecutive days at a Courtyard. They had separate contract numbers and all posted correctly. Some posted the same day and some posted 2 days later.
RafKa and emag_eh7 like this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, United Silver, Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks

Just wanted to say thanks for all the info on this thread. I scheduled 3 meetings last week and the last one posted today. Now Gold (new Platinum)!
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:31 pm
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Originally Posted by Brosson
Just wanted to say thanks for all the info on this thread. I scheduled 3 meetings last week and the last one posted today. Now Gold (new Platinum)!
Let me know if you qualified for SNA after the 18th of Aug.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:02 pm

Programs: bonvoy lifetime titanium, UA 1k, BR gold
just read the new program policy and had to scramble to cancel and rebook some meetings to try to meet the deadline...
what are people's experiences with booking directly online and the hotel posting correctly (no show) and....
are meetings on the 18th in or out of the old program??

quick note: as of last night i was still able to find $100 bookables online... but since these will all be no shows, not sure how it would pan out... i did write on the comment section while booking online that i wanted confirmation that they know how to use group posting tool and repeated my MR number.... (fingers crossed)

thanks~~
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:14 pm
xar

Originally Posted by arthur -- flyer wanna be
just read the new program policy and had to scramble to cancel and rebook some meetings to try to meet the deadline...
what are people's experiences with booking directly online and the hotel posting correctly (no show) and....
are meetings on the 18th in or out of the old program??

quick note: as of last night i was still able to find $100 bookables online... but since these will all be no shows, not sure how it would pan out... i did write on the comment section while booking online that i wanted confirmation that they know how to use group posting tool and repeated my MR number.... (fingers crossed)

thanks~~
All my 8 no show meetings were completed and charged since 4th Aug.
1 came back to inform me that because i did not show up i was charged and not eligible for points.
1 posted so far
remainder 6 should post this week (hopefully)
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:19 am
xar

Logged in today and was greeted by this. So safe to say i hit "Gold" just in time which should take me to plat after 18th Aug 2018.
Another 30* nights should post "soon" which should take me up to PP.
Will update again if i qualified for any bonus awards at the 50th and 75th mark, only a couple of days to find out!

Thanks everyone for their advice and support.

*I'll try to log a missing stay report to get that final 10 nights from that property who charged my CC but did not want to grant me points due to the no show
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by frenchft
If people has time and money to waste to get status that they will use 2 weeks a year in a property in the US with very little benefits... they play their own game... agree with you, I don't understand it but if they like it.

Instead of playing this game I would prefer to spend more on the room itself and upgrade the room by paying it, but again, their time, their money.
I justify this based on the fact that suite upgrades are expensive to pay for outright, as is lounge access at most hotels. Booking lounge / a suite is anywhere from $120 + $300 more than a standard room. You'd only need to get a few upgrades to 'break even' in this sense.

I might have 20 days PTO (and weekends), if I get lounge and suite for 8 of those days I'm practically ahead of what I paid for status at most properties.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:07 am

Hi does anyone know how long a meeting takes to post after a property uses the GPT? Should it be instant? A property has emailed me receipt and said they have posted yesterday, but I am receiving no nights points or email.

​​​​​​furthermore, my Marriott rewards number is not on the folio

Edit: people have said GPT takes about one day after. Is there a concern that my Marriott number is not on the folio? Thanks.

Last edited by mingzie; Aug 14, 2018 at 3:34 am
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:44 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoyed Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mingzie
Hi does anyone know how long a meeting takes to post after a property uses the GPT? Should it be instant? A property has emailed me receipt and said they have posted yesterday, but I am receiving no nights points or email.

furthermore, my Marriott rewards number is not on the folio

Edit: people have said GPT takes about one day after. Is there a concern that my Marriott number is not on the folio? Thanks.

Nope, just make sure you confirm in email.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by xar
Let me know if you qualified for SNA after the 18th of Aug.
Receiving SNA was part of the goal with the new status so I will post an update after aug 18. In fact I’m going for Platinum Premier Elite to get the extra SNA so we will see.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:54 am

My meetings were Mon Tues We’d last week and the last one posted yesterday. For mine 2-3 days after. I actually got an email as soon as it posted and was updated in the app at that time.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:23 am
xar

Originally Posted by mingzie

​​​​​​furthermore, my Marriott rewards number is not on the folio

This email confirms that your points were posted.

subject: Award Posted: Meetings and Events Group Posting Tool
email body:
Dear XXXXX,
Thank you for being a loyal Marriott Rewards or The Ritz-Carlton Rewards member for your meeting & event business.
This message confirms the following was posted to your account:
Total points earned: 300
Date Posted: 08/13/2018
Event Dates: 08/11/2018 - 08/11/2018
Property Name: CY XXXX
Reference Number: XXXXXX

The elite nights should appear in the app/desktop within 1 day after receiving this email.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by xar
This email confirms that your points were posted.

subject: Award Posted: Meetings and Events Group Posting Tool
email body:
Dear XXXXX,
Thank you for being a loyal Marriott Rewards or The Ritz-Carlton Rewards member for your meeting & event business.
This message confirms the following was posted to your account:
Total points earned: 300
Date Posted: 08/13/2018
Event Dates: 08/11/2018 - 08/11/2018
Property Name: CY XXXX
Reference Number: XXXXXX

The elite nights should appear in the app/desktop within 1 day after receiving this email.
Thanks, is this email sent instantly?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.