Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2018, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by mingzie
Awesome, thanks.

I am considering chasing this from scratch. Not sure if I can justify $800 USD. For the people who have chased this deal that don't usually have many nights, do you guys value the PP status at $800+ personally?

I am a personal traveller and do about 4 weeks a year of vacation (annual leave), and usually visit Asia.

Logically breakfast and lounge access would be $100+ per night normally?
If you do some shopping you can find rooms for under $100, but many go for much more. Cutting you meeting down to an hour or two should get you a better rate than presented on the web. If you've read upthread a bit you will find there is some disagreement about this program continuing to be as generous as it has been. So you may want to hold off on your decision to see it this will work for you. Plus, just pushing for LTP may work best for you. Some of us, yes me included, get intent on going for the "brass ring (the highest possible)" even if we don't have a use for it. Please assess your needs and don't just follow us fools.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Awesome, thanks.

I am considering chasing this from scratch. Not sure if I can justify $800 USD. For the people who have chased this deal that don't usually have many nights, do you guys value the PP status at $800+ personally?

I am a personal traveller and do about 4 weeks a year of vacation (annual leave), and usually visit Asia.

In the US for the most part (can vary wildly by hotel) I’m not sure I’d go that far, but I’ve heard lounges are better in Asia (I’ve never been).

Remember that you only need 50 nights to get the lounge/breakfast benefit. I’d start by getting the MR credit card which gives 15 nights. Then if you stay 4 weeks for vacations at MR hotels you’re already up to 35-43 nights, in which case you’d only need 1-2 meetings to get to 50.

Of course there is speculation that you may only be able to get the 10 night credit once. We should find out soon...

Old Aug 11, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Awesome, thanks.

For two people in the room yes, for one person, no. I have been in probably 20 Marriott/SPG lounges in Asia and some are great, such as Marriott Miyako Osaka. A few glasses of wine in the evening with canapes, popping in for after dinner drinks and then breakfast in the am is certainly worth 100. for the two of us. The Sheraton Yokohama on the other hand had a very underwhelming lounge and food/drink on offer. Wouldn’t think 100.00 of value for two was justified.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:34 pm

people seem to be really optimistic about this
Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by yerffej201
people seem to be really optimistic about this
Some optimistic, some pessimistic, some fatalistic and some of us just want to see exactly what Marriott puts out there for the T&Cs.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:20 pm

Thanks guys. I've just reserved 8 meetings for $800 USD just before 17 Aug

Why I did so I do not know. Must be the feeling of 'elite' status and just doing it because its there - I actually do not have any stays with Marriott atm so it will be my first time with the brand.

I have FOMOED in to this Marriott $800 'loophole' and hopefully it is actually worth it for me. I'm in Australia where we don't have any CC with elite nights, and since I'm a no status member I'd be doing the first 4 weeks without any status or benefits without all 8 meetings.

I've been Hilton Dia since forever and happy with that so exciting to see what this brand offers. I'm not even sure what I spent is worth it monetary wise, LOL. The fact it is potentially closing off is making me jump on it
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:45 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
First for me. Have a meeting scheduled at CY for tomorrow and never got a contract. I had used this property 2-3 prior and they always send a multipage contract for me to sign. Last year I had tried to book a room and they told me they were unable to honor the date I had picked and cited the terms in the contract that they a business day to cancel after I submit my request on the website but asked if there was another time or day so I didn't think I was blacklisted. I have always shown up for my "meeting" but do no fb spend.
I booked two meeting last week and another courtyard in the same city sent me a conract but I wonder if the Courtyard is just ignoring my requests. I was planning to no show but I may have to show up and see if they have space reserved for me. It was the cheapest in the region so I hope it is not lost. I guess if I go and there is no space reserved I will have grounds to go to corporate but I also don't see my CC charged.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:15 pm
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Thanks guys. I've just reserved 8 meetings for $800 USD just before 17 Aug

Why I did so I do not know. Must be the feeling of 'elite' status and just doing it because its there - I actually do not have any stays with Marriott atm so it will be my first time with the brand.

I have FOMOED in to this Marriott $800 'loophole' and hopefully it is actually worth it for me. I'm in Australia where we don't have any CC with elite nights, and since I'm a no status member I'd be doing the first 4 weeks without any status or benefits without all 8 meetings.

I've been Hilton Dia since forever and happy with that so exciting to see what this brand offers. I'm not even sure what I spent is worth it monetary wise, LOL. The fact it is potentially closing off is making me jump on it
Hiya. Same boat. I did and completed 8 meetings in Aug 2018 and just keeping my fingers crossed to get them posted as soon as possible. (2 out of 8 have been posted)
I live and travel within Asia hence SPG / Marriott credit cards for 'free nights' are unheard of here hence my decision to go "all in" to the status this year.
Good luck with your "meetings", would be happy to share notes along the way.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 5:00 pm

In hindsight I am kinda sad I did this. The taxes on each room made the price astronomical. As I am not from US I was not aware of this.

Ah well, lesson learned. After all said and done I don't think I will utilise this status enough to make it worth it.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
In hindsight I am kinda sad I did this. The taxes on each room made the price astronomical. As I am not from US I was not aware of this.

Ah well, lesson learned. After all said and done I don't think I will utilise this status enough to make it worth it.
You should be able to cancel the ones that are not in the next 24 hours. I never had a problem with cancellations and they never charged my card on the meetings i did do until I completed the meeting. Non of my meeting contracts said non refundable.
karenkay likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by cruisr

For two people in the room yes, for one person, no. I have been in probably 20 Marriott/SPG lounges in Asia and some are great, such as Marriott Miyako Osaka. A few glasses of wine in the evening with canapes, popping in for after dinner drinks and then breakfast in the am is certainly worth 100. for the two of us. The Sheraton Yokohama on the other hand had a very underwhelming lounge and food/drink on offer. Wouldn’t think 100.00 of value for two was justified.
I just looked up the Marriott Bangkok Soi 57 Marriott, which has a nice lounge. The difference in price between a regular room and one with lounge access is ~$40US. That includes access/breakfast for two. At $100/meeting that would require twenty nights staying in a hotel a year to justify paying for the meetings without considering the taxes.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: AS Peon
I was supposed to have two meetings each on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday of last week at a courtyard. I signed 6 separate contracts for all of them, and at various times had charges for all 6 pending on my CC. As of right now though, I only have 4 charges actually on my card, nothing pending. I never received an email from the CY signaling that they were cancelling any of the meetings. I did not show up for any of them.

Any thoughts on what this could be? Seems like it could just be something weird with the charge sitting in a state that isn't showing, but they could have just cancelled, doing me a "favor." I won't be too upset if they did cancel 2 of them though, because I have 15 nights from CCs so I'll still hit 55 nights and get Platinum, the extra SNAs don't matter much to me anyway.

Edit: And I haven't been credited any nights yet, but I'm not really worried about that yet.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by emag_eh7
I was supposed to have two meetings each on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday of last week at a courtyard. I signed 6 separate contracts for all of them, and at various times had charges for all 6 pending on my CC. As of right now though, I only have 4 charges actually on my card, nothing pending. I never received an email from the CY signaling that they were cancelling any of the meetings. I did not show up for any of them.

Any thoughts on what this could be? Seems like it could just be something weird with the charge sitting in a state that isn't showing, but they could have just cancelled, doing me a "favor." I won't be too upset if they did cancel 2 of them though, because I have 15 nights from CCs so I'll still hit 55 nights and get Platinum, the extra SNAs don't matter much to me anyway.

Edit: And I haven't been credited any nights yet, but I'm not really worried about that yet.
My suggestion is to hang in there. They might have realized all six events were for the same name/account and set it aside to make sure all is well. If they all haven't cleared by Wednesday, give them a call to see if something is up. GPT posting could take a few days, especially if it's assigned to someone that doesn't do them everyday. Again, calling on Wednesday has a better chance of finding that person in. Also, even if this doesn't post by the 18th, I'm sure someone will be able to make adjustments.
emag_eh7 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Angry

Bad news

https://milestomemories.boardingarea...etings-events/

Edit: JK, old news; I'm dumb.

Last edited by milesforhire; Aug 13, 2018 at 11:53 am Reason: Dumb
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:23 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by GoPhils

In the US for the most part (can vary wildly by hotel) I’m not sure I’d go that far, but I’ve heard lounges are better in Asia (I’ve never been).

Remember that you only need 50 nights to get the lounge/breakfast benefit. I’d start by getting the MR credit card which gives 15 nights. Then if you stay 4 weeks for vacations at MR hotels you’re already up to 35-43 nights, in which case you’d only need 1-2 meetings to get to 50.

Of course there is speculation that you may only be able to get the 10 night credit once. We should find out soon...

4 weeks of vacation? I don't even get that much PTO!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.