Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Litig8r1104
This is not good. Marriott is really gutting the combined program! It may be time to move loyalty away from SPG/Marriott where it has been for years and to a program that rewards its members. The problem with the combined program is that there will be too many platinum level members and the benefits like 4pm checkout will likely be few and far between.
I'm not sure that shooting a pretty big loophole in the elite program qualifies as "really gutting" the program. I'm sad about it, considering that I've used it in the past, but that's hardly a surprise, considering how long it has been available and the fact that Marriott clearly knows that people have been using it.

As for the 4pm benefit, I wouldn't be too worried bout not getting it. It's guaranteed, with the exception of resorts and conference centers. Considering how popular it is, I wouldn't expect it to go away.

Mike
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:15 pm

Also I checked the new webpage and again nowhere does it say first event only..had loyalty lobby been correct in the past?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by DealAddict
Ok that makes me a bit concerned. The article mentions nothing about what is going to happen about events completed/posted before August 18.. What if they are posted before, but you only get the nights after the 18th? Would you still get 10?
You very much should get the 10 nights credit if the meeting was completed before the 18th. I also believe you should get the nights for events merely booked before the 18th. Some will disagree saying credit is due as of the terms at the time of the event. Some have been able to get confirmation they will get credit according to legacy terms. AND it has not been proven the quotes apply to the second portion of the RE program dealing specifically with meeting rooms. I am not sure anecdotal experience will hold true down the road.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by swintec
for a road warrior i agree with you, but you are unlikely to be throwing money and time at fake meetings to chase down status as you more than likely earn it anyways living in hotels full time. i simply questioned that it seems many are investing time and $$$ resources for inconsistent benefits for maybe a couple of vacations each year. to each their own though.
I am not a road warrior. I stay at Marriott hotels but mostly on points. I redeem points accumulated from churning credit card welcome bonuses, referral bonuses and manufactured spending. So the $800 to get Platinum is used to "pimp" my free reward stays and make them feel even more special while on vacation.

The actual expense for meetings is less than $800. It's more like $400, because we already accumulated 40 elite nights from credit card elite nights (15), free award stays (15) and rollover nights (10).
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Platinum, National EC
Booking meeting space through website

Does anyone know how long it takes to confirm a meeting space booked via the website? I am looking at booking a conference room for 2 hours on 8/13 and have found a local hotel for a decent rate ($125). The contract language doesn't reference Rewarding Events and I would incur a charge if I cancel within 90 days of booking. I just want to ensure that the event is qualifying for the RE terms.

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
for a road warrior i agree with you, but you are unlikely to be throwing money and time at fake meetings to chase down status as you more than likely earn it anyways living in hotels full time. i simply questioned that it seems many are investing time and $$$ resources for inconsistent benefits for maybe a couple of vacations each year. to each their own though.
If people has time and money to waste to get status that they will use 2 weeks a year in a property in the US with very little benefits... they play their own game... agree with you, I don't understand it but if they like it.

Instead of playing this game I would prefer to spend more on the room itself and upgrade the room by paying it, but again, their time, their money.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
I am not a road warrior. I stay at Marriott hotels but mostly on points. I redeem points accumulated from churning credit card welcome bonuses, referral bonuses and manufactured spending. So the $800 to get Platinum is used to "pimp" my free reward stays and make them feel even more special while on vacation.

The actual expense for meetings is less than $800. It's more like $400, because we already accumulated 40 elite nights from credit card elite nights (15), free award stays (15) and rollover nights (10).
Trust me, we all know. Actually, I think you may have copy and pasted your own post as I know Ive read that before. As i said, to each their own. I also know that the high of pursuing and getting the status through unconventional means is also a special feeling as well.
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i suppose ive just gotten so used to all the special ELITE feelings and recognizing that ive missed the bigger picture. the inconsistencies across hotels, just tolerable breakfasts and my upgrade to a corner room...is their a special feeling I may be overlooking?
I'm not clear on what "just tolerable" breakfasts you are referring to, and what "powdered eggs" breakfast you were referring to in your previous post.

Most lounges I've been in serve real eggs; the only Marriott / Sheraton lounge where I've run into powdered eggs so far is Marriott Anaheim (and it's such a giant and overrun lounge, I can understand why it might be that one that "cheats"). Have I just been lucky?

Most of the places that have powdered eggs give free breakfast to all, status or not (Fairfield, SpringHill, TownePlace, etc) and don't have an actual restaurant on premises.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
i suppose ive just gotten so used to all the special ELITE feelings and recognizing that ive missed the bigger picture. the inconsistencies across hotels, just tolerable breakfasts and my upgrade to a corner room...is their a special feeling I may be overlooking?

i realize its more of a psychological thing really. its the thrill of the hunt. the taking advantage of a program / method that was never really meant to be used this way to get the highest tier. makes for good stories in the years ahead because you have it for "life".
You should try the lounge breakfast and elite upgrades at Marriott properties in Japan and SE Asia.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
He is quoting verbiage that has been there for months and has been discussed on this thread. This is nothing new,
Old Aug 8, 2018, 4:38 pm

we will see soon enough
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by calitequilasippergirl
Sorry, I don't believe in scamming the system. Most people earn their status with paid nights.

I took the liberty of contacting Marriott about this and this was NOT an intentional loophole. The purpose of this was to encourage REAL meeting planners to use Marriott properties for their needs, not for people to make fake meetings to earn nights at an extremely discounted rate. I am sure the loophole will close soon
Eight years ago you were sure the loophole would close soon.

Maybe it will.

For a rather large value of "soon".
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by asot550
Once a hotel posts meetings in the gpt how long does it take to receive the automated marriott email? I have 3 meetings that were back in July, but the event coordinator I went through mysteriously left the property recently. The new coordinator told me she "ordered my points" yesterday for the three meetings but I haven't seen anything yet.
​​​​​​​From my experience, they post the same day but no emails. The app sometimes reflects the credits earlier than the website.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:11 pm
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Originally Posted by cruisr

He is quoting verbiage that has been there for months and has been discussed on this thread. This is nothing new,
Guess everything is 'fake news' until the actual merger and people see for themselves.

*Update* For those trying for points i received this email this morning for one of my meeting...
"...please keep in mind that we are not able to reward points unless the event takes place...."

I will quote the current terms & conditions to them as what others have pointed out but i foresee this will be a lengthy process and stretch beyond 18th Aug
Old Aug 9, 2018, 12:13 am

That's rough. Did they charge you as scheduled? Kind of jerk move for them to charge you and not post the points/nights.

Guess that was bound to happen at some point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.