Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
But as I recall you said the GM got you Plat because they didn't know how to book your meetings to earn the nights, are they stopping there? If it's been over ten days and your nights have not yet booked you need to follow up to make sure they will or you will never get your LT status as desired. You gotta get them booked before they will count.
I'm not sure if you mean "post" rather than "book"? No, it hasn't been 10 days since they told me they can use the group posting tool... plus as I mentioned I don't expect all meetings to post before Aug 18. I have the contracts stating that I'm getting 10 nights per meeting, and they were all booked before the merge, so I would think I'm somewhat safe , even if I don't get all nights posted before Aug 18
Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by DealAddict
I'm not sure if you mean "post" rather than "book"? No, it hasn't been 10 days since they told me they can use the group posting tool... plus as I mentioned I don't expect all meetings to post before Aug 18. I have the contracts stating that I'm getting 10 nights per meeting, and they were all booked before the merge, so I would think I'm somewhat safe , even if I don't get all nights posted before Aug 18
Just wanted to make sure you weren't giving up on getting them to use the GPT for past meetings. They may be thinking the status is enough.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
We, too, want to feel special and recognized when we check-in at hotels, thanks to our Platinum ELITE status
i suppose ive just gotten so used to all the special ELITE feelings and recognizing that ive missed the bigger picture. the inconsistencies across hotels, just tolerable breakfasts and my upgrade to a corner room...is their a special feeling I may be overlooking?

i realize its more of a psychological thing really. its the thrill of the hunt. the taking advantage of a program / method that was never really meant to be used this way to get the highest tier. makes for good stories in the years ahead because you have it for "life".
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:55 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Originally Posted by swintec
i suppose ive just gotten so used to all the special ELITE feelings and recognizing that ive missed the bigger picture. the inconsistencies across hotels, just tolerable breakfasts and my upgrade to a corner room...is their a special feeling I may be overlooking?

i realize its more of a psychological thing really. its the thrill of the hunt. the taking advantage of a program / method that was never really meant to be used this way to get the highest tier. makes for good stories in the years ahead because you have it for "life".
Travelling mostly EMEA / ASIA and living in hotels full time I can tell you that status really change my life and without status I would have a totally different experience. Upgrade to suite with SPG/marriott/hilton last year : 95%
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Just wanted to make sure you weren't giving up on getting them to use the GPT for past meetings. They may be thinking the status is enough.
I didn't press to have the past meetings entered (there were only 5)..yes I know the purchase of status is s temporary solution, but my main concern is that they enter the meetings I booked after they told me the tool is working and that those post.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:43 am

Once a hotel posts meetings in the gpt how long does it take to receive the automated marriott email? I have 3 meetings that were back in July, but the event coordinator I went through mysteriously left the property recently. The new coordinator told me she "ordered my points" yesterday for the three meetings but I haven't seen anything yet.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:53 am
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Originally Posted by asot550
Once a hotel posts meetings in the gpt how long does it take to receive the automated marriott email? I have 3 meetings that were back in July, but the event coordinator I went through mysteriously left the property recently. The new coordinator told me she "ordered my points" yesterday for the three meetings but I haven't seen anything yet.
My experience is that when i received the automated email, my account reflected both points and nights the following day.

Dear XXX
Thank you for being a loyal Marriott Rewards or The Ritz-Carlton Rewards member for your meeting & event business.
This message confirms the following was posted to your account:
Total points earned: 150
Date Posted: 08/06/2018
Event Dates: 08/04/2018 - 08/04/2018
Property Name: CY XXX
Reference Number: XXX
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:55 am
kkl

Marriott is changing the name of the program from Rewarding Events to Meetings & Events and will cut the number of points per dollar earned by a third (from 3 to 2) while lifting the per event maximum from 50,000 to 105,000 points. Members will earn 10 elite qualifying nights for the first event of the year ONLY and one elite qualifying night for every 20 rooms booked (max 20 elite qualifying nights).
https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/08/08/...ugust-18-2018/
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
asot550, once the hotel posts, they show up pretty quickly (within a day). that said, some hotels use the GPT but there's someone above the person doing the posting who needs to approve points...in that case, it could take forever, based on my experience. if it's been over 10 business days since the meetings, i'd call marriott rewards if the meetings don't post by tomorrow.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
from the article:
Members will earn 10 elite qualifying nights for the first event of the year ONLY and one elite qualifying night for every 20 rooms booked (max 20 elite qualifying nights).

if this blogger is correct, i'm feeling damn good about pushing all my meetings to get done by early august.
dsquared37 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Sounds like this article is based only on the first part of the Rewarding Events released for event planners (weddings, conferences, etc. where there is a combination of guest rooms and maybe salons. There is a second portion that deals strictly with conference rooms. It was a shame they used the same name for both portions and I am sure has caused much confusion with the properties and members. Let's hope for some clarification once MPG is up and running.

This confusion holds with Marriott's web site: https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...s.mi?aff=MARUS where I read the clause "when you hold a meeting, conference, wedding or other event at a participating Marriott® brand hotel" to mean events where people will be staying at the property too.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by frenchft
Travelling mostly EMEA / ASIA and living in hotels full time I can tell you that status really change my life and without status I would have a totally different experience. Upgrade to suite with SPG/marriott/hilton last year : 95%
for a road warrior i agree with you, but you are unlikely to be throwing money and time at fake meetings to chase down status as you more than likely earn it anyways living in hotels full time. i simply questioned that it seems many are investing time and $$$ resources for inconsistent benefits for maybe a couple of vacations each year. to each their own though.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:39 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by swintec
for a road warrior i agree with you, but you are unlikely to be throwing money and time at fake meetings to chase down status as you more than likely earn it anyways living in hotels full time. i simply questioned that it seems many are investing time and $$$ resources for inconsistent benefits for maybe a couple of vacations each year. to each their own though.
Can we tone down the judgment here? Not everyone fits in this road-warrior / status-chaser dichotomy and even if they do, what's wrong with that?
karenkay likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Life Time Titanium Elite/ Hilton Honors Diamond
This is not good. Marriott is really gutting the combined program! It may be time to move loyalty away from SPG/Marriott where it has been for years and to a program that rewards its members. The problem with the combined program is that there will be too many platinum level members and the benefits like 4pm checkout will likely be few and far between.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:46 pm

Ok that makes me a bit concerned. The article mentions nothing about what is going to happen about events completed/posted before August 18.. What if they are posted before, but you only get the nights after the 18th? Would you still get 10?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.