Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:21 pm
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Originally Posted by emag_eh7
Alright, stupid question, but I have a hotel that has been working with me perfectly (responded same day to my email, set up 6 meetings no issue for super cheap, etc) so I don't want to screw this up. What am I supposed to put as "title" on the contract? Just "Manager" or something along those lines? I feel like a dumbass for having to ask but I don't want to give them a reason for not being able to confirm the meetings for this week...

Edit: And I'm filling out multiple contracts, each with different dates, etc. But they all have the same reference number at the top. And I only got one email for providing card info. Is this correct for still getting credited with 10 night for each meeting?

Edit again: Based on a comment earlier in the thread, looks like I need 6 unique reference numbers. Wonder how I can ask for that without being very obvious that I'm fishing for nights...
1. Don't think it matters. I mean you are paying for it, so why wont they confirm your meetings unless the title seems to suggest illegal activities?
2. I have read a mix bag of responses which is why i did mine at different properties over different dates.
3. I think it is obvious that you are fishing for nights but as long as you are a paying customer, the hotels don't really bother.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:47 pm

Programs: SPG+Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by xar
In case there are people lurking and still considering (FYI 10 days left!) dont make the same mistake as me.
What is the incentive to go from what will become Plat to Premier Plat in the next 10 days? Do you get PP longer? Can't you get PP in say, September?
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by WorldPalmHand
What is the incentive to go from what will become Plat to Premier Plat in the next 10 days? Do you get PP longer? Can't you get PP in say, September?
It can be pursued through the end of the year however it is still not known if the meeting reward structure, 10 nights per meeting, will be retained in the new program beginning Aug 18.
sdsearch and WorldPalmHand like this.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by emag_eh7
Alright, stupid question, but I have a hotel that has been working with me perfectly (responded same day to my email, set up 6 meetings no issue for super cheap, etc) so I don't want to screw this up. What am I supposed to put as "title" on the contract? Just "Manager" or something along those lines? I feel like a dumbass for having to ask but I don't want to give them a reason for not being able to confirm the meetings for this week...

Edit: And I'm filling out multiple contracts, each with different dates, etc. But they all have the same reference number at the top. And I only got one email for providing card info. Is this correct for still getting credited with 10 night for each meeting?

Edit again: Based on a comment earlier in the thread, looks like I need 6 unique reference numbers. Wonder how I can ask for that without being very obvious that I'm fishing for nights...
"I have different clients for those meetings and I want everything completely separate so there are no billing issues."
Old Aug 6, 2018, 11:25 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, Hilton Gold, Best Western Diamond, SPG Gold
anyone has any hotels to recommend that is straightforward to book and have the cheapest rate?
Old Aug 6, 2018, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
I did 2 meetings to jump from P to PP for 2019. Cost $250, and I'm likely to pick the free night for my 75night benefit, which I value around $200. So $50 for an extra 25% in bonus earnings and maybe a better upgrade rate? I'll break even at worse, I think.
I'm doing this for my wife also for 2 meetings. I think it will mean 2 x free night certificates (1 in August, 1 for 2019), plus United Silver for the next 18 months as well as the additional earning rate and hope for upgrades. Is it a bit silly in some ways? For sure! But a couple hundred for the mental belief of benefits makes me happy! Besides, Marriott is making it very difficult for non-biz travelers to reach status, so this could be a last hurrah.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by DealAddict
I had only 45. It didn't seem to change with the purchase of Platinum status. I booked a ton of meetings though so I will still have enough for LT, assuming they post correctly.
But as I recall you said the GM got you Plat because they didn't know how to book your meetings to earn the nights, are they stopping there? If it's been over ten days and your nights have not yet booked you need to follow up to make sure they will or you will never get your LT status as desired. You gotta get them booked before they will count.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by swintec
ive been wondering that with amusement as i have watched this thread over the past couple of months. the lengths some are going (and spending in time and $$$) to get some powdered eggs and maybe a slightly larger corner room is insane. A serious traveler (someone who could really make the benefits worthwhile) would already reach plat each year on their own (that's if they havent reached lifetime already). The folks going for this just to use for possibly a few vacations each year...it just does not seem like a very worthwhile use of time and cash to chase this down.

Of course, i say all this as a lifetime plat. for several years at this point.
This whole scheme is like the brass ring on the merry-go-round (anyone remember that?). Yes, the hard product may not be worth the cost but the achievement has it's own personal reward. This is just like with FT, there are perks that come along with sufficient posts but some are just posting to get their number higher. The best way to summarize it is: Because it's there.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xar
Thanks @RogerD408 for the explanation which give me a better understanding.

To recap on what I have done so far..
1. Got a nomination from a friend which gave me SPG Gold Status. ($50)
2. Matched my SPG Gold to obtain MR Gold.
3. Booked 8 Meetings to get MR Plat which should translate to the "new" Platinum Elite after 18 Aug. (with SNAs) ($800)
> $850

In retrospec, this looks like an "expensive" lesson for me. I should have done the following instead,
1. Sign up as a new MR Member.
2. Book 5 meetings to get MR Gold. (assume they all post on time) ($500)
3. Wait for 18th Aug which should upgrade my status to the new Platinum.
> $500

In case there are people lurking and still considering (FYI 10 days left!) dont make the same mistake as me.
Just to break it down a bit more, Getting the SPG Gold and matching to MR Gold was not needed (other that for MR Gold perks for any stays now). Your 8 meetings at 10 nights each put you over the 75 nights to get MR Plat status that will become MPG Plat Premier, a step higher. It's unclear if those with over 75 nights after the merger will get any SNAs. But if you cross 75 nights afterwards then you would. This is going to cause a lot of frustration and I expect MPG to give in, but we won't know until after the 18th.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:01 am

Just wanted to provide a quote update. I went to the hotel yesterday and sat in a conference room for an hour, charge hit my card, all seemed good except my rewards number missing from the folio. Had another scheduled for today too.

Fast forward to today and I get 2 emails from Marriott group posting tool saying that my meeting was posted. Funnily enough, it seems the rep I dealt with posted both meetings already even though the second hasn't even happened yet!

I assume this means I can safely no show this second one since it's already posted?
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoyed Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by nick793
Just wanted to provide a quote update. I went to the hotel yesterday and sat in a conference room for an hour, charge hit my card, all seemed good except my rewards number missing from the folio. Had another scheduled for today too.

Fast forward to today and I get 2 emails from Marriott group posting tool saying that my meeting was posted. Funnily enough, it seems the rep I dealt with posted both meetings already even though the second hasn't even happened yet!

I assume this means I can safely no show this second one since it's already posted?
Yes
nick793 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Originally Posted by calitequilasippergirl
Sorry, I don't believe in scamming the system. Most people earn their status with paid nights.

I took the liberty of contacting Marriott about this and this was NOT an intentional loophole. The purpose of this was to encourage REAL meeting planners to use Marriott properties for their needs, not for people to make fake meetings to earn nights at an extremely discounted rate. I am sure the loophole will close soon
I hope too... and I hope marriott will stop (and Hilton should too) the credit card nights, match and other stuffs. Time to bring back more benefits to the real customers, those who sleep 100s of nights a year in their hotel.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by swintec
ive been wondering that with amusement as i have watched this thread over the past couple of months. the lengths some are going (and spending in time and $$$) to get some powdered eggs and maybe a slightly larger corner room is insane. A serious traveler (someone who could really make the benefits worthwhile) would already reach plat each year on their own (that's if they havent reached lifetime already). The folks going for this just to use for possibly a few vacations each year...it just does not seem like a very worthwhile use of time and cash to chase this down.

Of course, i say all this as a lifetime plat. for several years at this point.
We, too, want to feel special and recognized when we check-in at hotels, thanks to our Platinum ELITE status

Originally Posted by calitequilasippergirl
Sorry, I don't believe in scamming the system. Most people earn their status with paid nights.

I took the liberty of contacting Marriott about this and this was NOT an intentional loophole. The purpose of this was to encourage REAL meeting planners to use Marriott properties for their needs, not for people to make fake meetings to earn nights at an extremely discounted rate. I am sure the loophole will close soon
Sorry, but you're just being selfish. You want to keep the lounges empty and upgrades plenty just for yourself.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
edit:nevermind

Last edited by MasterGeek; Aug 8, 2018 at 2:41 pm
Old Aug 7, 2018, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by frenchft
I hope too... and I hope marriott will stop (and Hilton should too) the credit card nights, match and other stuffs. Time to bring back more benefits to the real customers, those who sleep 100s of nights a year in their hotel.
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
<snip>
Sorry, but you're just being selfish. You want to keep the lounges empty and upgrades plenty just for yourself.
fyi, guys, you're responding to calitequilasipper's post from 2010.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.