Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Old Aug 4, 2018, 2:33 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by DealAddict
The contracts don't have reference numbers. Why is that important?
If they don't have them then this probably doesn't apply. I recall reading a post here that somebody booked multiple meetings on separate contracts and separate days with one reference number that ended up posting as one meeting
RogerD408 likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by pewpew
If they don't have them then this probably doesn't apply. I recall reading a post here that somebody booked multiple meetings on separate contracts and separate days with one reference number that ended up posting as one meeting
oh ok. I specifically asked them too post separately and each contract has different times so I think I'm covered

The only thing that concerns me is that they had issues with the group posting tool for the first batch of meetings I booked weeks ago and couldn't enter them. The GM purchased me Platinum status instead .I was told the issue has been fixed and they can now enter meetings but who knows.. At and rates I have the contracts so at least I have something to fall back on if things don't work out. I don't think me not showing up is an issue for the property
Old Aug 4, 2018, 6:32 pm

oh ok. I specifically asked them too post separately and each contract has different times so I think I'm covered

The only thing that concerns me is that they had issues with the group posting tool for the first batch of meetings I booked weeks ago and couldn't enter them. The GM purchased me Platinum status instead .I was told the issue has been fixed and they can now enter meetings but who knows.. At and rates I have the contracts so at least I have something to fall back on if things don't work out. I don't think me not showing up is an issue for the property
He bought you Platinum? Elite nights included?
Old Aug 4, 2018, 7:42 pm

No just the status
Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum (LTPP) , United Silver
Successfully crossed the finish line today when my meeting from 6 weeks ago finally was posted with the Group Posting Tool !!
753 nights and almost 3 million points

In June I only needed 4 meetings, so I booked a no-show and a local one.
The no-show posted immediately and so I booked 2 more there.
The local meeting that I actually showed up for took me 6 weeks to get the nights posted (today)!

Path to get the last meeting to post was stressful but I did the following over the course of 6 weeks which created several case numbers
-Several emails to the Director of Sales, my point of contact that signed the BEO ,
- I sent a couple emails to quick group Omaha,
- Reported as a missing stay request
- And 2 calls to the rewards desk.

Good Luck to all on this same path and I am glad I was less than 40 nights short of the goal of LTPP.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
No just the status
Although very generous of the GM, I'm not sure that makes you whole in regards to your future status. How many LT nights do you have now? You might want to do the math to figure out if getting the nights will have any future value for you. Maybe since they have worked out the GPT process, he'd be willing to post your meeting now?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:39 am

Does anyone think even if the rules change after the 18th (which is an unknown anyways, bout a sure thing) that meetings done and entered prior to that will still get 10 nights ( especially if it's in the contract?) Nobody knows for sure of course but I would think that would be the case
Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Does anyone think even if the rules change after the 18th (which is an unknown anyways, bout a sure thing) that meetings done and entered prior to that will still get 10 nights ( especially if it's in the contract?) Nobody knows for sure of course but I would think that would be the case
Some are saying they have been told any meetings booked before the programs merge will be honored. We don't know what will happen in reality, of course. Also, we don't know for sure if the program will be changing. The current wording can be taken different ways, but the statement about earning 10 nights and becoming Silver status with your first meeting has always been there somewhere. Also, remember there are two versions of RE, one for booking guest rooms and another for booking meeting rooms and they are constantly getting confused.
xar likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, BA Exec Continental, AAdvantage, Virgin,
Booked a meeting through the website 28July - the folio they sent me doesnt have my MR number on there (yet I booked through my profile)...does this mean they havent processed it correctly.
No nights posted to my account yet should I hold on or start chasing?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Although very generous of the GM, I'm not sure that makes you whole in regards to your future status. How many LT nights do you have now? You might want to do the math to figure out if getting the nights will have any future value for you. Maybe since they have worked out the GPT process, he'd be willing to post your meeting now?
I booked 5 meetings, so it would have been 50 nights... I'm already Gold, so I guess she figured she'd purchase me platinum status,

I'm nowhere near the amount of nights needed for LT, but I booked a lot of meetings for the next couple of weeks (roughly 5 per day), so that I will get enough nights (assuming everything posts correctly) by that point. They've charged my card for several days, so I don't think they care about the no show.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I booked 5 meetings, so it would have been 50 nights... I'm already Gold, so I guess she figured she'd purchase me platinum status,

I'm nowhere near the amount of nights needed for LT, but I booked a lot of meetings for the next couple of weeks (roughly 5 per day), so that I will get enough nights (assuming everything posts correctly) by that point. They've charged my card for several days, so I don't think they care about the no show.
Your response does not address any of the issues posed.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 11:55 am

Your response does not address any of the issues posed.
Not sure what you mean? I am using AMEX points to cover the cost of those meetings, so for me cost is not an issue (well, up to a reasonable amount, which is why I scoured for cheap meetings). given that LTP gives you annual suite night upgrades, it will be worth it...

Last edited by DealAddict; Aug 5, 2018 at 12:00 pm
Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Not sure what you mean? I am using AMEX points to cover the cost of those meetings, so for me cost is not an issue (well, up to a reasonable amount, which is why I scoured for cheap meetings). given that LTP gives you annual suite night upgrades, it will be worth it...

Bad news. LTP gets you no SNAs. The only way you get them is 5 SNAs when you cross 50 nights and an additional 5 SNAs when you cross 75 nights. These must be EARNED each year. LT status gets you nothing as far as SNAs go. Sorry.
karenkay and yeunganson like this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl

Bad news. LTP gets you no SNAs. The only way you get them is 5 SNAs when you cross 50 nights and an additional 5 SNAs when you cross 75 nights. These must be EARNED each year. LT status gets you nothing as far as SNAs go. Sorry.
What is the source for this...?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
What is the source for this...?
discussed upthread, and also on the SPG site. i'm looking for a source for you, but this is correct info. you have to make status each year for SNA's.

edit to add: found a link to it on the marriott insiders site...would be an easy google search if you're so inclined.

Last edited by karenkay; Aug 5, 2018 at 2:14 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.