Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:56 pm

Programs: AS Peon
I realize that I'm joining this party pretty late, but better late than never, right? Quick question as I'm requesting a quote online: The form requests my address and stuff, so it seems like the employees at the hotels could think it is strange that someone on the west coast is reserving a room in a hotel on the east coast. So I was thinking of marking it as 1 attendee and saying it is an interview, and if they ask say that I'm potentially interviewing someone via Skype and like to provide a space that I know can be quiet if they need it. Does that seem like a reasonable excuse for this? I can't see how they can argue anything about it, but I'm not really sure, as I've never done anything like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoyed Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by emag_eh7
I realize that I'm joining this party pretty late, but better late than never, right? Quick question as I'm requesting a quote online: The form requests my address and stuff, so it seems like the employees at the hotels could think it is strange that someone on the west coast is reserving a room in a hotel on the east coast. So I was thinking of marking it as 1 attendee and saying it is an interview, and if they ask say that I'm potentially interviewing someone via Skype and like to provide a space that I know can be quiet if they need it. Does that seem like a reasonable excuse for this? I can't see how they can argue anything about it, but I'm not really sure, as I've never done anything like this.
Dont request quotes, just book.. They all know that we're all trying to get nights. You can put 1 and it'll be fine. Just make sure your MR# in the contract and confirm GPT is used in email.. Time is ticking, just book. No more time to negotiate the price or look for a cheaper location, book it and sign the contract immediately.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:19 am

Programs: Ritz Carlton
Does anyone know, if I can also participate as a Ritz-Carlton Rewards program member?
Would like to do 2-3 no-show meetings quickly before Aug18 in Europe, there seem to be a couple of cheap meeting opportunities.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:15 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, United Silver, Hyatt Discoverist
Im new to this as well. Seems in my area there are very few that offer pricing on the Marriott site, most say request a quote. Is this what others see as well?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:23 am
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Originally Posted by Brosson
Im new to this as well. Seems in my area there are very few that offer pricing on the Marriott site, most say request a quote. Is this what others see as well?
Change your dates. Typically if the meeting date is too close (1-3 days) no quote will be offered. Try calling them instead.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by emag_eh7
You think too much. Just do it!
Old Aug 3, 2018, 6:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by Brosson
You don't need to show up. Think outside the box, think globally. Otherwise you won't be a good travel hacker.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:19 am
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Hi all,

Just a thought.
Since i am attempting to complete all my 8 meetings by 10th of Aug 2018 the points/nights may take anywhere between 10 - 30 days to be credited.
Assume that was the case does this mean i would likely be Gold Elite* > Plat Elite (Once the 5th meeting has been credited assumingly after 18th Aug) > Plat Premier Elite (8th and final meeting) ?

*I crossed over from an SPG Gold, hence matched as Marriott Gold with 0 nights in FY2018.. not sure if was a mistake to match given that having just 5 meetings will take me to MR Gold and then matched up to Plat Elite.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 4:47 pm

Programs: bonvoy lifetime titanium, UA 1k, BR gold
just a quick update on my situation... i needed 31 bookings to make ltpp (combining spg and mr) and through the help of this thread was able to find an agent willing to book them for me. the only catch is that we are doing one meeting per day and so while all of my meetings were contracted before 8/1, my last meeting will be 8/25. i'm counting on marriott honoring the 10 nights/booking since the contracts are made prior to the official announcement of any sort of new program rules (fingers crossed). with that said, i'll keep this thread updated from time to time to the posting status on my mr account. according to the mobile app, as of tonight i have 90 nights posted so far.

also, while i'm not able to find any sub $200 booking fees online right now, there seems to be still quite a few hotels with online reservations available at $200 (Illinois, Ohio, Los Angeles, etc.), and when you click on the reserve button, you will be able to manipulate the meeting time down to 30 mins, which will make it $100 per meeting + tax and fees.

good luck y'all
Old Aug 3, 2018, 5:21 pm

Are meetings held at a MOXY qualify for Rewarding Events? I read Residence Inn ones do not qualify and wonder if there are other brands not participating in this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by broadwayboy
Are meetings held at a MOXY qualify for Rewarding Events? I read Residence Inn ones do not qualify and wonder if there are other brands not participating in this.
Highly doubt it, Moxy's are as basic as it gets. Do they even have spaces for meetings?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
Straight from Marriott:

You will not earn Marriott Rewards points or miles for any rooms you book for your meeting or event at Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites and Marriott Executive Apartments
https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...events-faqs.mi
Old Aug 4, 2018, 2:15 pm

How long should I for meetings to post before starting to get concerned? I read that meetings could post as soon as 24 hrs after...

I am also having multiple meetings on one day and have individual contracts for each stating each meeting will get me 10 nights.. So I guess I shouldn't be concerned of if they don't post for whatever reason?

Last edited by DealAddict; Aug 4, 2018 at 2:30 pm
Old Aug 4, 2018, 2:25 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by DealAddict
How long should I for meetings to post before starting to get concerned? I read that meetings could post as soon as 24 hrs after...

I am also having multiple meetings on one day and have individual contracts for each stating each meeting will get me 10 nights.. So I guess I shouldn't be concerned of if th36 don't post for whatever reason?
I've never had one take less than 10 business days, but others have been luckier. Make sure each contract has a separate reference #
Old Aug 4, 2018, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by pewpew
I've never had one take less than 10 business days, but others have been luckier. Make sure each contract has a separate reference #
The contracts don't have reference numbers. Why is that important?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.