Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Many people worry too much about the nights not posting, and put too much effort in trying to have a written confirmation from the property about the nights posting before hey book the meetings. I say the reward of 10 elite nights and reaching the desired elite/lifetime status outsizes the risk of losing $50 or $75. Too much risk aversion will slow you down and make you miss out on opportunities. Each of my 5 no-show meetings this year have posted the 10 nights to my account.
craigthemif likes this.

Last edited by MasterGeek; Jul 22, 2018 at 9:58 am
Old Jul 22, 2018, 9:49 pm

Programs: NW 1MM, BD Gold, BA Gold, AA 1MM, LM, VX eleVAte, Hyatt D6, SPG Plat, Hertz President's
Question

Property told me they could do one lump fee, but split the invoices into 8 separate ones. Will that work? What do I need to do to insure this goes through?

Also, just checking if Ritz numbers still work just fine.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by HUGE AL
Property told me they could do one lump fee, but split the invoices into 8 separate ones. Will that work? What do I need to do to insure this goes through?
You need separate contract numbers.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by HUGE AL

Also, just checking if Ritz numbers still work just fine.
I wouldn't trust this personally. Should the property fail to do it right all you will get is "oh well". What's your risk tolerance level here?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 8:45 am
soy

Programs: various
What are peoples thoughts on meetings booked before Aug 1st for early 2019 ?

Will they honor T&C at time of booking, or are you stuck with the earning rate from the new program?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by soy
What are peoples thoughts on meetings booked before Aug 1st for early 2019 ?

Will they honor T&C at time of booking, or are you stuck with the earning rate from the new program?
The present terms and conditions indicate it is the terms in place at the time of the event, not reservation, which govern. A few people have reported someone from Marriott indicating the old rules will apply after the merger for meetings booked before the merge date but these seem more akin to having a friend's sister's cousin's hairdresser's neighbor's cat sitter making a promise than an actual policy statement. If this is important to you, reach out to the hotel or Marriott and ask for written confirmation that the legacy parameters will be followed. Waiting until afterwards to argue that you thought the old rules would apply would likely be a losing argument.

And again, there is no confirmation the rules will be changed. My advocating taking prudent measures to cover yourself should the internet rumors be correct and the rules change is in no way intended to be a statement that the rules will definitely change.
izzik and rustykettel like this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Just had 20 meetings post last week. Just waiting for the last two and I'll be ready for my LTPP status
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Emerald Club Executive, Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by chongl
Just had 20 meetings post last week. Just waiting for the last two and I'll be ready for my LTPP status
Good work!
What's the requirement for LTPP? 750 nights and 2 million points?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
5 meetings, 50 nights, $280...will make my 1st year of MR Plat (9 w/SPG) in a couple weeks w/some real add'l nights.

Quite nice to rack it up w/minimal cost and effort. But of course actually staying 17 BiB nights x 3 rooms apiece (under SPG rules to get 50 nights) is more or less equivalent on time/$ investment, no difference whatsoever
Old Jul 23, 2018, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by BearSmart
Good work!
What's the requirement for LTPP? 750 nights and 2 million points?
In today's program there is no LTPP, but LTP is 750 nights and 2M points. LTP will become LTPP, as will someone with over 750 nights combined and 2M points or 10 years Plat Status.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Life Time Titanium Elite/ Hilton Honors Diamond
Apparently all Fort Lauderdale area properties only have the option to request a quote. I requested from 3. Got an email back from one and spoke to the sales mgr and was told that you cannot earn nights for events unless you book rooms as well. I explained that this was not the case and directed her to the MR website. She said sorry but you only get 3 points per $ and no elite night credits unless you book rooms as well.

The 2nd one responded today and advised she had not heard of the elite night credits for rewarding events. She asked me to email her the info from the MR website so I did. She called MR directly and they advised her I was correct about the 10 nights but also advised her that it is MR that posts the nights and not the hotel and use of the Group Posting Tool I mentioned to her was not how it is done.

The right hand does not know what the left hand is doing. At least I will get to book my 2 needed meetings this week to hit 76 nights....I believe this this will be my 10th year Plat across both programs..
Old Jul 23, 2018, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Litig8r1104
Apparently all Fort Lauderdale area properties only have the option to request a quote. I requested from 3. Got an email back from one and spoke to the sales mgr and was told that you cannot earn nights for events unless you book rooms as well. I explained that this was not the case and directed her to the MR website. She said sorry but you only get 3 points per $ and no elite night credits unless you book rooms as well.

The 2nd one responded today and advised she had not heard of the elite night credits for rewarding events. She asked me to email her the info from the MR website so I did. She called MR directly and they advised her I was correct about the 10 nights but also advised her that it is MR that posts the nights and not the hotel and use of the Group Posting Tool I mentioned to her was not how it is done.

The right hand does not know what the left hand is doing. At least I will get to book my 2 needed meetings this week to hit 76 nights....I believe this this will be my 10th year Plat across both programs..
Yes, anything beyond the basics just doesn't seem to make it to the properties. The ONLY question I would pose to them is if they know of and use the GPT. If they do then you are pretty much good to go. If they don't then it's time to move on.

As for local hotels, the West Palm Beach Marriott does allow booking online, just got to go out a few days (7/27 as of now). Reducing to a one hour meeting takes the rate from $250 to $100. Not sure what their policy is regarding no shows.
Johnny Rocket and MDJennings like this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:49 am

Hi Flyertalk, Sorry that this has been asked so many times but wanted to confirm something about this program quickly.

If I find a hotel near me that offers meetings for $200/day bookable online (drops to $100 for 1/2 hr), and book thru Marriott's site directly - I shouldn't have any issues getting the timeslot and getting the nights from the meeting?

Assuming that the hotel knows about the group posting tool of course. I'm 20 nights away from Plat 75 for this year, and weighing the $200 cost vs simplicity of hitting Plat 75 without issues.

Never been down this road before and damn am I cutting it close.
RogerD408 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:10 am

I think I found a property and sales manager I can work with. I'd like to get to 75 nights before 8/6, so I'll have to schedule 8 meetings.

How are you guys scheduling multiple meetings? Am I probably safe to just keep scheduling a 30 minute meeting every day for this week?

Thanks
Old Jul 24, 2018, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by taxquestion332123
I think I found a property and sales manager I can work with. I'd like to get to 75 nights before 8/6, so I'll have to schedule 8 meetings.

How are you guys scheduling multiple meetings? Am I probably safe to just keep scheduling a 30 minute meeting every day for this week?

Thanks
The only true requirement is to keep them on separate contracts and posted individually. So even 2-3 meetings a day should work just fine. Again, just make sure they book them separately. Some will think they are doing you a favor (or themselves) by making one entry.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.