Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoyed Lifetime Gold
Dec 31 2018 11:59pm

Last edited by JfromTheBay; Jun 27, 2018 at 7:36 pm
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by YoungBubbie

Today's email post meeting came from [email protected]. Points posted but no nights. No mention of meeting or group posting tool. Subject is Bonus Confirmation

Previous meeting emails came from [email protected]. Subject Award Posted Group Posting Tool.Nights posted correctly.

I cant remember if nights post immediately after receiving the email. How soon should nights post after email?

Thanks for help and guidance.

Try login to the marriott.co.uk site and see if 10N is posted there? My last experience indicates there is a database replication delay during the IT migration.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:11 am

Definitely 20+ plus and no postage yet despite Sales manager saying they posted the events on GPT
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by DealAddict
So is the deadline to qualify under old /existing Marriott rules August 1 or end of December?
12/31 but after 8/1 the number of meetings that can earn 10 nights may be reduced to 1.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by tonywush
Try login to the marriott.co.uk site and see if 10N is posted there? My last experience indicates there is a database replication delay during the IT migration.
Thanks. Nights still not there. I don’t think they used Group Posting Tool. She told me there was a change in staff and I don’t think they posted it correctly.
I’m going to call later. Frustrating.

Thanks.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:14 am

Update: All is good just waiting for the person who has approval to use group posting tool to come next week.

As posted here, looks like only select people have the authority to use group posting tool.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
Update: All is good just waiting for the person who has approval to use group posting tool to come next week.

As posted here, looks like only select people have the authority to use group posting tool.
Yes, each property will have their own process, some do it well/quickly others use the squeaky-wheel approach and wait for the guest to complain (why do it if I don't have to). The sad part this can be at the same property depending who you deal with.

Congrats getting it worked out, but don't forget about it.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by rny321
12/31 but after 8/1 the number of meetings that can earn 10 nights may be reduced to 1.
Yup, updated https://members.marriott.com/rewarding-events/:

• Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights when you book your first meeting — and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.
  • Plus, you’ll earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights you book — up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
thanks to all for help and advice, wanted to come back and update. it *is* too late for me to find another property, as i started this all rolling before i left town...but things are looking up.

i spoke with the GM from asia on monday, he assured me that he had--that very day--posted everything and was current. since my first meeting was mid-may, that wasn't very encouraging, but he said he'd reach out to someone and see if he couldn't figure out why my nights hadn't posted. i told him i'd follow up in a few days with marriott if i didn't hear anything.

i'm now back in the US and called marriott myself. after spending 25 minutes on hold--and being disconnected once--on the no-longer-dedicated platinum line, i got a legacy marriott agent who called the hotel.

reading between the lines of what she told me, i don't think the GM actually posted any of the meetings until monday, and the agent confirmed that (as several people suggested) there's one person above the GM who has to sign off on the rewarding events points/nights. the 'bonus points' i was seeing in my account were from my marriott rewards card from the first two meetings, not from rewarding events. according to the marriott agent, i should have the (points and) nights in my account by next friday--seven working days from monday.

as a data point, she said every time i emailed customer service, they opened another case, and that there were five cases open on my account. if i had gotten a response (or, you know, performance) from the hotel, i wouldn't have opened another case/sent another email. in any event, it appears we're now good to go, everything is working as it should, and i have to decide if i want to go for LTPP...which would involve another 15 meetings before july 31. it's doable, the price is right, for sure--i'm paying less than $50 a meeting--but the hassle factor makes me wonder if it's worth it. hmmm.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:07 am
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Just finishing up 5 consecutive days of meetings. The GM is planning to post these all at one time using the Group Posting Tool on Friday. I asked him to make sure they are posted as separate events. Is there any risk of these getting grouped into a single event? Anything I should alert them to?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by swag
Yup, updated https://members.marriott.com/rewarding-events/:
  • Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights when you book your first meeting — and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.
  • Plus, you’ll earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights you book — up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.
There is nothing new here. This is the language that has been used in the present marketing materials for quite some some and members still get credit for ten nights with each meeting per the T&Cs. A blogger has said that someone from Marriott told him that was going to change but until the new program T&Cs are released or Marriott makes an announcement nobody know for sure. Nothing in the language you quoted says nights credits are ONLY for the first meeting and, again, it is the present marketing language used wherein the member gets the credits for all meetings.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by dsperling
Yay me!... I made it (LTP before the August 1 deadline, just to be safe)! Took two extra meetings to do it... but thanks to this site, they were book online, no-show early morning weekend meetings.

Here's what (I think) I learned...
  1. There ARE hotels out there that return prices online without having to enter a quote or negotiate with the Events Coordinator. For me, I found one in the Cleveland area and one in the Toledo area, both in the $75 price range. (Even though I wasn't going to make the meeting, I wanted it to be in my same general region.)
  2. Both properties I found quoted one price for a 2+ hour meeting, but then cut the price in half for a 1 hour meeting.
  3. Booking online generated not only a confirmation and contract from the property, but a confirmation from a central booking group called "QuickGroup Omaha".
  4. For one of the meetings, it took some follow up with the local agent to enter the meeting (Memorial Day week vacation), but once it was entered, I got a confirmation email and the points and nights appeared IMMEDIATELY!
  5. As soon as I passed the 750 night threshold (I was well above 2M points), my LT status changed to LTP (as listed on the "old" Marriott site, whose URL is floating around here).
Now, I just rest easy and wait for the LTPP to hit on August 1st. My only question left is I'm sitting at 73 nights this year, but only 8 or 9 of them are "butt in bed" nights... so what's the deal with Suite Upgrade Certificates?
Does it mean meeting that booked online is a sure way to get elite nights credits?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Yes, each property will have their own process, some do it well/quickly others use the squeaky-wheel approach and wait for the guest to complain (why do it if I don't have to). The sad part this can be at the same property depending who you deal with.

Congrats getting it worked out, but don't forget about it.
👍. I won’t. I will def be on top of that. Thanks.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CJKatl
There is nothing new here. This is the language that has been used in the present marketing materials for quite some some and members still get credit for ten nights with each meeting per the T&Cs. A blogger has said that someone from Marriott told him that was going to change but until the new program T&Cs are released or Marriott makes an announcement nobody know for sure. Nothing in the language you quoted says nights credits are ONLY for the first meeting and, again, it is the present marketing language used wherein the member gets the credits for all meetings.
Can you show me where you see that language? This is the current language I see:

https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi
It makes no mention of 10 nights for the first event. As a result, I am inclined to think that they are closing this loophole. Folks will still be able to earn lots of elite nights through booking meetings, but only if they book lots of rooms.

One additional data point to support this is that I have never received nights in addition to the promised 10 when booking an event, even though I am usually booking at least 30 room night. If this language has been here in the past, I have been cheated out of the additional elite nights due for my room nights.

Last edited by lexdevil; Jun 28, 2018 at 7:58 pm
Old Jun 28, 2018, 7:28 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by lexdevil
Can you show me where you see that language? This is the current language I see:

[snip image]

https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi
It makes no mention of 10 nights for the first event.
In your screenshot, note the third bullet point under "Earn" says "10 elite nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it." So if anything IMO this supports CJKatl's interpretation that it will still be 10 nights per meeting, and that the "10 nights for the first meeting" that is written on the other page is just imprecisely-written marketing copy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.