Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Absolutely appropriate to nail down and/all terms that are important to you. One thing to keep in mind several different entities are involved in delivering these benefits. The property should be providing the points earned on the spend for the event.
And here is the issue. I don't know the answer.

The property pays for the points so there is leeway in how many points are awarded. The hotel can award more by paying for more, which is how the hotel can give bonus points when there is an issue. The property does not pay for the nights' credit, so will they have as much leeway to manipulate that number? If the rules call for 10k points, the hotel can pay for extra points and the guest will get extra points, but can the same thing happen with nights when the hotel does not pay for those?

Again, this is all conjecture until we know whether there is even a change on the number of nights credited for a meeting.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by CJKatl
And here is the issue. I don't know the answer.

The property pays for the points so there is leeway in how many points are awarded. The hotel can award more by paying for more, which is how the hotel can give bonus points when there is an issue. The property does not pay for the nights' credit, so will they have as much leeway to manipulate that number? If the rules call for 10k points, the hotel can pay for extra points and the guest will get extra points, but can the same thing happen with nights when the hotel does not pay for those?

Again, this is all conjecture until we know whether there is even a change on the number of nights credited for a meeting.
Generally a property does not issue nights, that is a function of MR, so I would imagine no leeway there (of course a property could book a bogus stay that would result in nights). The program does define the basic point benefits, but yes, the property can choose to issue "service recovery" points for anything they want at their expense. And depending upon how egregious the error MR can issue points.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Individual hotels are free to give credit however they choose and you can fight for whatever you think is fair, but the Rewarding Events rules are contained within the MR T&Cs and clearly state the rules at the time of the event dictate what is awarded. These T&Cs are incorporated into the contract you have with the hotel for the event. The rules existing at the time of contract or reservation are irrelevant.

We know it it in the T&Cs its been discussed. They CAN pull the nights but whether that makes sense or not in the long run is a different issue all together.

They will lose alot of meetings if they short change people on existing contracts no doubt about it but is it a cost they are willing to absorb is another matter

Time will show, it seems so far they have not made many BAD/ADVERSE changes that leave members pissed. Sure cuts here and there but nothing ground breaking. I cannot imagine there are that many meetings pre booked that they would need to be excluded from current night credits. Perhaps I am wrong

We are living exciting times 🤣🤣🤣
Old Jun 1, 2018, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by kauppias
... it seems so far they have not made many BAD/ADVERSE changes that leave members pissed.
Many present SPG Golds would disagree! Not to mention those that no longer get the guaranteed 4:00 pm check-out and those who do not like the $20k minimum spend. And that Aussie business travel reporter is very pissed.

UPDATE Earlier advice and commentary provided by Marriott International to Australian Business Traveller has proven to be incorrect. Claims from the company that SPG Gold members would be granted Platinum Elite status under the new program by way of their linked Marriott Rewards tier were false and misleading.

Marriott International has confirmed that the information it publicised in April 2018 was incorrect, but has declined to comment further on the matter.
https://www.ausbt.com.au/five-things...oyalty-program
https://www.ausbt.com.au/marriott-do...g-gold-members
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:18 pm

I wouldn't put too much stock into this.

This was worded more towards getting you to book a meeting/event not trying to sell you that it will be only 10 nights one time...

Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights when you book your first meeting — and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.

Originally Posted by JfromTheBay
Email from Marriwood, update on Aug benefits. It did not say this before. Im looking at the old benefits versus this one, basically change is coming for sure.
Marriots events page

If you choose to earn frequent flyer airline miles instead of points, all member tiers can earn a maximum of 20,000 miles (1 mile per $1 USD) per qualifying event.
  • Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights when you book your first meeting — and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.
  • Plus, you’ll earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights you book — up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by ManFactSpendLA
I wouldn't put too much stock into this.

This was worded more towards getting you to book a meeting/event not trying to sell you that it will be only 10 nights one time...

Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights when you book your first meeting — and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.
Disagreed. If you were trying to encourage repeat business, then why not say "per" meeting, rather than trying to sucker you in for the first?

Booking individual meetings whether for local work or to bring in people to buy into your MLM scheme or whatever is way easier than trying to fill 20 room nights of others on the same contract in exchange for one elite qualifying night.

One ten night earning meeting to bump status as a temptation (either no credit card for automatic gold or 15 credit card nights + 10 nights first meeting = insta-gold) makes sense. Keeping solely nights based qualification unlimited makes zero sense. Especially with the addition of SNAs at 50/75 night levels.

If future meetings beyond the first still offered 10 elite nights per event period, why offer the SPG Pro analog of 1 elite night per 20 room nights booked? You'd be better off booking the meetings under separate contracts and ignoring all room booking related nights.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Boraxo
From what I've seen that is complete speculation based on one blogger's writeup of a wide-ranging discussion regarding the new program. Or maybe you have more solid confirmed information?
I don't know what the new program will be. I know that according to the published rules, if you hold a meeting on July 20 and it doesn't get posted until August 2, you get points and nights according to the new rules (whatever they will be).
Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
I don't know what the new program will be. I know that according to the published rules, if you hold a meeting on July 20 and it doesn't get posted until August 2, you get points and nights according to the new rules (whatever they will be).
Where have you seen this? There are no published rules for the new program, which is a problem, and the rules for the present program do not say this. The present rules say:
Members who hold qualifying Events at participating hotels also receive ten (10) Elite night credits toward Elite status, which are awarded to their Rewards Program account along with either Points or Miles earned for the Event....

The number of Points or Miles to be awarded shall be determined pursuant to the Rewards Program Rules in effect at the time of award.
Everything should be submitted by the hotel on the date of the event, when the event ends, so in your example the rules applied to an event should be the rules in place on July 20 should govern the award. Where are you getting Aug 2? This is also why others in this thread have been pointing out that you want to make sure the hotel posts the information on the date of the event, once the event ends, instead of holding onto the information for a few days.

Again, where are you seeing the information about the new program or about the future rules applying to an event?
Old Jun 1, 2018, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
The number of Points or Miles to be awarded shall be determined pursuant to the Rewards Program Rules in effect at the time of award.
The award is made when the hotel runs the Group Posting Tool. As we've seen in this thread (and I've observed personally), that can vary from the day after the meeting to several weeks or even months later.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 6:04 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I don't know why they would take away 10 elite-qualifying nights per contract since it costs individual hotels nothing. And there's been nothing put forward so far that indicates a platinum premier will have 100% priority over a platinum in terms of benefits, such as an upgrade. This is stupid, if it indeed happens. And the complete lack of communication and transparency is B.S. to those of us who plan legit meetings and events. I have events on the books -- signed in November/December 2017 -- for August 2018 and I have no idea what I'm going to "get" in two months' time.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:15 am
Suspended

So, starting August this year, members can only receive 10 elite night on their FIRST meeting only ? At least we can still earn 10 elite nights each time when we finished meetings before august right?
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Vince Chan
So, starting August this year, members can only receive 10 elite night on their FIRST meeting only ?
This has not been stated or confirmed my Marriott. The new program terms and conditions have not been released. There is an internet rumor. A blogger has helped spread the rumor claiming to have an inside source, but this blogger has been wrong about new program parameters already so he cannot be considered a definitive source. The Marriott marketing materials claim you get ten points for your first meeting, but the materials do not state one only gets ten points for the first meeting. The marketing materials presently state this despite members still getting ten points for all meetings, so it may just be a reminder that one meeting gives Silver status.

Bottom Line: It is presently an open question.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:24 am

Programs: KF Gold, *G, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Titanium
For wedding packages, how many points and elite nights is expected to be received?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by elephentravels
For wedding packages, how many points and elite nights is expected to be received?
It really depends on your negotiation. I have had good luck getting double points for meetings and banqueting events at most properties. Some have even done triple points, but these are generally properties in Mexico or hurricane-prone Caribbean islands during their offseason.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Keyser
so i have my meeting set for tomorrow evening....i have been in touch with an assistant sales manager who has been replying from the hotel....she insists that there is no need for a signed contract since they don't do that for a party under 15 people....i asked her to give that to me in writing & she sent an email stating that a contract would not be required & i would get all the benefits as per the rewarding events program....
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I'm not a lawyer but I think an offer by the hotel over email and a subsequent acceptance by you would likely constitute a contract.
Originally Posted by Keyser
i am a lawyer but i would be very hesitant to accept anything as a contract unless the terms are specifically set out....in any case, i am in a position to give this property a lot of business so if all turns out well after the meeting tomorrow then this would be my go-to hotel for all my future mediations/arbitrations....
Originally Posted by RogerD408
What's the term, included by adhesion? So as long as their response references the program, I'd feel more comfortable.

There have been some posts claiming the 10 night credit stops in August. But if the property is delivering a good service then that shouldn't matter, should it?
so now i'm having a little bit of trouble with this property....they state that the meeting does not qualify for 10 nights elite credit & i am only entitled to 3 points per usd spent as per the t&c of the rewarding events program....they claim that a minimum spend is required in order to get the 10 nights credit....i've gone back & forth with them a few times but they seem to be stuck to their stance....is there a particular number to call to get this sorted out or do i just call marriott customer support????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.