Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Literally money for nothing, but it is extremely generous and might not be driving the type of profitable business to justify ten nights' credit. IMO this could go either way but Marriott should have released the Rewarding Events details by now since we are only two months away from the new program's start.
Indeed. By not releasing the ibfo the just end up making people mad if they dont honor existing reservations at old benefits

I wont be put much if they dont honor them but I have a feeling many may be...

These mini meetings are most likely not that profitable but many meetings on a larger scale are profitable and removing benefits will piss off both sets of meeting organizers

It would be a smart move for them to honor the 10nights per meetings booked by XX date and just lick their wounds leaving no one the worse...

Again just my 2 cents
CJKatl and JfromTheBay like this.
Old May 31, 2018, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
BTW, the terms and conditions specifically state in the Rewarding Events section that points will be awarded based on the rules at the time of the award, not the time of the reservation.
So if you have a meeting scheduled in late July, make sure they run the tool/award the points and nights quickly.

August the First Is Too Late
Old May 31, 2018, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by sethb
So if you have a meeting scheduled in late July, make sure they run the tool/award the points and nights quickly.

From what I've seen that is complete speculation based on one blogger's writeup of a wide-ranging discussion regarding the new program. Or maybe you have more solid confirmed information?
Old May 31, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by sethb

Hopefully the program parameters will be released before that and we will know for sure.
Old May 31, 2018, 5:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Actually, probably not according to the one Supreme Court decision on the matter. There was the case against NW/DL a few years ago brought by the Rabbi. The Supreme Court found a member does not have standing to bring an action. The state contract law, not consumer protection laws, govern frequent traveler programs. Well, anyone can bring a case, but it would likely be quickly thrown out based on members lacking standing to sue per that decision. Bottom line: the courts do not want frequently traveler program cases.
The outcome was that the airlines have a sort of governmental waiver/favor protecting them from being pursued by consumers in state courts for some purposes (covering both state contract law and state consumer protection laws) because of the Carter-signed federal deregulation of the interstate airline industry.

That ruling doesn’t protect hotels in the US.
Old May 31, 2018, 11:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoyed Lifetime Gold
Email from Marriwood, update on Aug benefits. It did not say this before. Im looking at the old benefits versus this one, basically change is coming for sure.
Marriots events page

If you choose to earn frequent flyer airline miles instead of points, all member tiers can earn a maximum of 20,000 miles (1 mile per $1 USD) per qualifying event.
  • Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights when you book your first meeting — and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.
  • Plus, you’ll earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights you book — up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.

Last edited by JfromTheBay; Jun 1, 2018 at 2:41 am
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:18 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by JfromTheBay
Email from Marriwood, update on Aug benefits. It did not say this before. Im looking at the old benefits versus this one, basically change is coming for sure.
Marriots events page

If you choose to earn frequent flyer airline miles instead of points, all member tiers can earn a maximum of 20,000 miles (1 mile per $1 USD) per qualifying event.
  • Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights when you book your first meeting — and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.
  • Plus, you’ll earn one Elite Qualifying Night for every additional 20 room nights you book — up to 20 Elite Qualifying Nights per contract.
huge downgrade! The faucet is now turned off to a trickle.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:45 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
The first meeting reference seems to only point that you got 10nights ie silver status after one meeting. I would NOT read too much into it. Not many facts are known yet just alot of rumors 😂
rogo likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 4:51 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Miles and More
Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it
I have a legitimate 10-person all-day meeting coming up. I got the quote through the Rewards site following the OP links. The hotel sent me a PDF contract-- and says they know nothing about points. I emailed Marriott Rewards and of course received no response. I'm not going to sign the PDF or put up a credit card until I'm sure I'm getting the points: Should I ask the hotel to send me the electronic contract? What should I refer to in order to get the banquet manager to do this?

This is a day meeting where several other Marriott properties sent me quotes. As far as I'm concerned, not getting the elite nights would be a deal breaker. Any advice would be appreciated. Note that this is an all-day meeting in a major city and we are paying several hundred $ for the space. We have options.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 5:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
If the new earning is correct and it's no longer 10 nights per contract then this is a huge devaluation that will certainly cause legit meeting planners to look at independent hotels and other brands. I know many, including myself, will also fight tooth and nail to receive the benefits for signed contracts on the books as the program existed at the time of signing.

I really want to see the new terms and conditions because the brief promotional information that was linked to imply you no longer receive any elite-qualifying nights for meeting rooms and banquet events, only guest room blocks. I find that very, very hard to believe.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by kauppias
The first meeting reference seems to only point that you got 10nights ie silver status after one meeting. I would NOT read too much into it. Not many facts are known yet just alot of rumors 😂
"Seems to" is again the key. This is exactly what they have been saying from even before April. It is nothing new, just the same confusion.

The current marketing materials also say this despite someone presently getting ten nights credit for additional meetings too. This language may just be intended to point out that your first meeting gets you to the first elite level and not to say that you do not get ten nights for meetings after that. Until the actual parameters of the program are released it is like reading tea leaves. Yes, this may mean there is a downgrade or it may be a continuance of business as usual. Again, we just do not know until Marriott makes a clear statement or they release the new program details. The blogger claiming this has a very mixed record on announcing program changes so until Marriott says this is a change I'm ready to believe it might happen but a long way from believing it has.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I know many, including myself, will also fight tooth and nail to receive the benefits for signed contracts on the books as the program existed at the time of signing.
Individual hotels are free to give credit however they choose and you can fight for whatever you think is fair, but the Rewarding Events rules are contained within the MR T&Cs and clearly state the rules at the time of the event dictate what is awarded. These T&Cs are incorporated into the contract you have with the hotel for the event. The rules existing at the time of contract or reservation are irrelevant.

Last edited by CJKatl; Jun 1, 2018 at 8:04 am
Old Jun 1, 2018, 6:44 am

"Seems to" is again the key. This is exactly what they have been saying from even before April. It is nothing new, just the same confusion.

The current marketing materials also say this despite someone presently getting ten nights credit for additional meetings too. This language may just be intended to point out that your first meeting gets you to the first elite level and not to say that you do not get ten nights for meetings after that. Until the actual parameters of the program are released it is like reading tea leaves. Yes, this may mean there is a downgrade or it may be a continuance of business as usual. Again, we just do not know until Marriott makes a clear statement or they release the new program details. The blogger claiming this has a very mixed record on announcing program changes so until Marriott says this is a change I'm ready to believe it might happen but a long way from believing it has.
The usual confusing wording from Marriott.
In the past, whenever “confusing” wording of terms on promos etc, it was never as bad as people’s interpretations or misinterpretations.
Hoping same holds true for this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by YoungBubbie

The usual confusing wording from Marriott.
In the past, whenever “confusing” wording of terms on promos etc, it was never as bad as people’s interpretations or misinterpretations.
Hoping same holds true for this.
I find it hard to believe that a $30,000 meeting space or catering contract won't get any elite-qualifying nights, but 20 rooms at $155 apiece would qualify.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Alohashirt
I have a legitimate 10-person all-day meeting coming up. I got the quote through the Rewards site following the OP links. The hotel sent me a PDF contract-- and says they know nothing about points. I emailed Marriott Rewards and of course received no response. I'm not going to sign the PDF or put up a credit card until I'm sure I'm getting the points: Should I ask the hotel to send me the electronic contract? What should I refer to in order to get the banquet manager to do this?

This is a day meeting where several other Marriott properties sent me quotes. As far as I'm concerned, not getting the elite nights would be a deal breaker. Any advice would be appreciated. Note that this is an all-day meeting in a major city and we are paying several hundred $ for the space. We have options.
Absolutely appropriate to nail down and/all terms that are important to you. One thing to keep in mind several different entities are involved in delivering these benefits. The property should be providing the points earned on the spend for the event. The property is responsible for using the Group Posting Tool after the meeting to notify MR so they can post the Rewarding Events nights (not paid by the property so presume no knowledge). The property must charge your CC for the event so they know to post the points (if on a MR affinity card). Expecting all of this to be spelled out in a single document could be a stretch.

The important item is to make sure your MR number is listed on the contract and try to get confirmation from the property they know of and will be using the Group Posting Tool once the event is complete and you should be all set. Some properties are very good about quickly posting the events, some restrict who's allowed to use the tool, so could be a delay, and some batch their postings again resulting in a delay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.