Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2018, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kcdude
I received 40+ private messages and I did not think I will see this many messages. I do not think one location will survive that many. So I shared the info to first 5 respondents. Please do not ask me for the contact. If you call around, you will be able to find a place. I made 20+ calls before I found one.
Thanks
Your willingness to risk killing your golden goose is remarkable!

In my recent attempt to try for a "no show" meeting venue I was either too subtle and the agent missed my point, or too obvious and she didn't see fit to reply.
Old May 26, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoyed Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by kcdude
I received 40+ private messages and I did not think I will see this many messages. I do not think one location will survive that many. So I shared the info to first 5 respondents. Please do not ask me for the contact. If you call around, you will be able to find a place. I made 20+ calls before I found one.
Thanks

Thanks for sharing your info with the lucky 5, it seriously is very generous of you (no sarcasm). I hope the lucky 5 will pass it on when they are done. Online reservations dont even email or call back, im gonna keep trying. There is no giving up or surrendering.
Old May 27, 2018, 2:13 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by JfromTheBay
Thanks for sharing your info with the lucky 5, it seriously is very generous of you (no sarcasm). I hope the lucky 5 will pass it on when they are done. Online reservations dont even email or call back, im gonna keep trying. There is no giving up or surrendering.

I have only had one hotel not respond do far. Are you using the instant reserve properties or requesting quotes?

The easiest is to just hunt for the cheaper properties that SHOW the price online, then just reserve it online.

If The property shows for 200usd online then it should be 100usd for the halfday meeting (like 1hour)

Then they just send you the contracts. There are plenty of these properties out there it just takes some work
Old May 27, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoyed Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by kauppias
I have only had one hotel not respond do far. Are you using the instant reserve properties or requesting quotes?

The easiest is to just hunt for the cheaper properties that SHOW the price online, then just reserve it online.

If The property shows for 200usd online then it should be 100usd for the halfday meeting (like 1hour)

Then they just send you the contracts. There are plenty of these properties out there it just takes some work

I'm requesting quotes, I think I need to try looking outside of my area. The majority of properties around me don't post prices. Thanks for the advice I'll give it a try.
Old May 27, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by JfromTheBay
I'm requesting quotes, I think I need to try looking outside of my area. The majority of properties around me don't post prices. Thanks for the advice I'll give it a try.
Much easier with properties that have their prices set 👍 IMHO atleast!
Old May 27, 2018, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mooper
44 meetings @ $55/mtg = ~$2400 and you've got LTPP
Originally Posted by getagb
the lowest I’ve found is $100/meeting. Do you think LTPP is worth $2400 though?
Keep in mind that all 44 of those meetings would have to be before August. That's almost a meeting a day!

The strong rumor is that in August they'll stop giving 10 elite nights for every meeting, and only give 10 elite nights for the first meeting each year, and just 1 elite night for all further meetings that year.
Old May 27, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by mroseman13
I'm headed towards some farmland for an event tonight and staying overnight in an out of the way area. I decided to submit a request for quote yesterday and negotiated a great meeting room rate. The very responsive Sales Coordinator confirmed that the Group Posting Tool will be used for this Rewarding Event early next week, however the document I was sent for signing is a Banquet Event Order instead of the contract others have referenced. Might be a bit of a gamble here, but with the great rate and the employees confirmed knowledge of the GPT, I think it's worth a shot. We'll see how it goes
My 10 nights posted! Time to schedule a few more meetings and perhaps feel out how a no-show might end up.
Old May 27, 2018, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Keep in mind that all 44 of those meetings would have to be before August. That's almost a meeting a day!

The strong rumor is that in August they'll stop giving 10 elite nights for every meeting, and only give 10 elite nights for the first meeting each year, and just 1 elite night for all further meetings that year.
I think you have mentioned this before - where is this rumor coming form exactly? And - if true, do we really think Marriott will give zero notice whatsoever? How much precedent do they have doing things like that?
Old May 27, 2018, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kauppias
Much easier with properties that have their prices set 👍 IMHO atleast!
I have a convenient one for me I can do for $150. I talked to a regional Marriott rep to try and negotiate down to $100 (hinting at my flexibility and shortness of meeting duration needed, ha). He wasn't having it. I just went ahead and booked an online one...will see how it goes.
Old May 27, 2018, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I have a convenient one for me I can do for $150. I talked to a regional Marriott rep to try and negotiate down to $100 (hinting at my flexibility and shortness of meeting duration needed, ha). He wasn't having it. I just went ahead and booked an online one...will see how it goes.

I have also had zero luck with the sales managers...

I just look for meetings that work for my times and budget. There are plenty of them if you are flexible 👍
Old May 28, 2018, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I think you have mentioned this before - where is this rumor coming form exactly? And - if true, do we really think Marriott will give zero notice whatsoever? How much precedent do they have doing things like that?
On the FAQ part of the members page, Marriott has given notice that Rewarding Events will be changing, just not what the changes will be:

Are there changes to SPG Pro and Rewarding Events?

Members of both programs will be able to earn points for meetings and events through the new Rewarding Events structure. SPG Pro will end in August. We will honor any existing meeting and event contracts on the books at the new earning rate. Starting in early August, you can book meetings and events across all brands (except for Residence Inn, TownePlace Suites, Design Hotels and Marriott Executive Apartments) and if you provide your membership number at time of signing, you are eligible to earn benefits under the new Rewarding Events construct including base earn and bonus points based on Elite level (if applicable).
Old May 28, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Ord Liza
On the FAQ part of the members page, Marriott has given notice that Rewarding Events will be changing, just not what the changes will be:
And on members.Marriott the word "first" is specifically used in the description of earning points for planning a meeting:
  • Get 10 Elite Qualifying Nights when you book your first meeting — and achieve Silver Elite status automatically.
Is it a random word or an indication of what's to come? There is also wording there suggesting that points will be tied to money spent on the meeting. Bottom line is the T&Cs will answer this once those are released.
Old May 28, 2018, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by CJKatl
And on members.Marriott the word "first" is specifically used in the description of earning points for planning a meeting:
Is it a random word or an indication of what's to come? .
I had forgotten about that. For planning purposes, it's certainly safer not to expect that ten nights will be awarded for each meeting starting in August.
Old May 28, 2018, 9:31 am

Was able to find a couple of properties that would hold no show 30 min meetings for substantially less than $100 using marriott's meeting site.
Good luck everyone.
Old May 28, 2018, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by HotelLifer
Was able to find a couple of properties that would hold no show 30 min meetings for substantially less than $100 using marriott's meeting site.
Good luck everyone.
There are some out there. Finding 75$ meetings is common, 50$ is possible but the taxes and fees still add up. But these low cost meetings are gems. I would not shout out about them too much

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.