Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Old May 11, 2018, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
I don't understand the bolded part. If you get LTP in the MR program, then LTPP will be granted. Why would you need another 25 meetings?
If they're referring to LTPP, it would be the new Lifetime Milestone. So they currently have enough nights lined up for for LTG(LTP in new program) but short 250 nights to get LTP(LTPP in new program).
Old May 11, 2018, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by jdang
If they're referring to LTPP, it would be the new Lifetime Milestone. So they currently have enough nights lined up for for LTG(LTP in new program) but short 250 nights to get LTP(LTPP in new program).
chongl stated he already had MR LTP, so that should be the end of it for getting MPG LTPP,
Old May 11, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
My statements are based on the new tiers, not the existing ones. So going by current standards I will have MR LT Gold
Old May 11, 2018, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
As I posted elsewhere, it would seem no changes are being made to Rewarding Events, as of August 1:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29700522-post683.html
Doesn't this (from members.marriott.com) make it sound like there will be a new structure with a new "earning rate"?

Are there changes to SPG Pro and Rewarding Events?

Members of both programs will be able to earn points for meetings and events through the new Rewarding Events structure. SPG Pro will end in August. We will honor any existing meeting and event contracts on the books at the new earning rate. Starting in early August, you can book meetings and events across all brands (except for Residence Inn, TownePlace Suites, Design Hotels and Marriott Executive Apartments) and if you provide your membership number at time of signing, you are eligible to earn benefits under the new Rewarding Events construct including base earn and bonus points based on Elite level (if applicable).
Old May 11, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Despite a lot of speculation it appears Marriott isn't making changes to Rewarding Events, at least as of August 1. I've reached to to a half-dozen contacts at both Marriott corporate sales and individual Marriott properties. Nobody knew anything until, finally, someone reached out to someone in corporate. Here what Marriott had to say:

"At this time no details have been released in regards to Rewarding Events besides what is available on Members.Marriott.com. Once corporate is ready to share this information all properties will be notified. Until then, no details have been or are being released. Rest assured support teams as well as properties will receive updates in the next couple of months as soon as the information is ready to be released. Unfortunately, this is not information that we know at this time."
Originally Posted by Ord Liza
Doesn't this (from members.marriott.com) make it sound like there will be a new structure with a new "earning rate"?

Members of both programs will be able to earn points for meetings and events through the new Rewarding Events structure. SPG Pro will end in August. We will honor any existing meeting and event contracts on the books at the new earning rate. Starting in early August, you can book meetings and events across all brands (except for Residence Inn, TownePlace Suites, Design Hotels and Marriott Executive Apartments) and if you provide your membership number at time of signing, you are eligible to earn benefits under the new Rewarding Events construct including base earn and bonus points based on Elite level (if applicable).
Maybe Marriott does read FT, because I myself (among others!) pointed out that with the LT points requirement gone and the extra elite night / $3,000 spent on MR visa is likely to be eliminated (old MR visa has it, for now), that Rewarding Events became a stupidly easy way to buff up LT qualification requirements without limit (in the past, the points earn rate was a pretty big discouraging factor at 8pts/$ max as stays would earn $20 pts/$ and credit card nights/meeting nights would just drive up the average spend for your actual stays).

They talk about the "new earning rate" without mentioning what it is, nor mentioning nights. It reeks of PR spin. I suspect that they will probably increase the earn rate on meeting rooms to 5 points or maybe 10 points per dollar from the current three, but I think the night credit will disappear.
Old May 12, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Hope this nights earnings stays, needless to say
Old May 12, 2018, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
So - are properties keen that this generally is a semi-scam situation? Do they just not care since they are getting revenue? Is this as crazy a loophole as it seems?

I will likely need to book 3-4 "meetings" in H2 this year
Just because it's been a thread on FT for years does not mean that the average property has necessarily seen that much of it, especially "unnecessary" meetings.

And if they haven't reacted to it until now, chances are that they won't react to it until August (when the apparent change it terms will make it get used for unnecessary" meetings a lot less).

Plus all they have to do is price to make it less of a loophole. Yes, the title of thread from nearly a decade ago suggests $80 per meeting, but it's not easy to get it that low necessarily in all areas. That was just one example, but it was the example that gave the thread it's name.

I'm happy to get an online Reserve quote of $120 (for a 1-hour meeting), but only because I'm using it to try to lock in the once-in-a-lifetime chance to get LTPP in the new program, which can only be done in 2018. (I don't have 10 years at Platinum so I can't use the other avenue they just announced.) And a lot of other hotels in the area that had Reserve buttons were asking for even more.

I never bothered with this before this "end of 2018" deadline for LTPP appeared. I never had problems earning annual MR Plat through stays (plus help from credit cards), but I have a bigger gap to make up before the end of 2018 than I necessarily could do easily with just stays in 2018 alone.

Last edited by sdsearch; May 12, 2018 at 9:53 am
Old May 12, 2018, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sdsearch
I'm happy to get an online Reserve quote of $120 (for a 1-hour meeting), but only because I'm using it to try to lock in the once-in-a-lifetime chance to get LTPP in the new program, which can only be done in 2018. (I don't have 10 years at Platinum so I can't use the other avenue they just announced.) And a lot of other hotels in the area that had Reserve buttons were asking for even more.

I never bothered with this before this "end of 2018" deadline for LTPP appeared. I never had problems earning annual MR Plat through stays (plus help from credit cards), but I have a bigger gap to make up before the end of 2018 than I necessarily could do easily with just stays in 2018 alone.
I'm right there with you, and in the exact same boat. I was just surprised that something like this exists...I get that the people at the margins using it to rack up nights are probably a rounding error compared to the actual revenue legit meetings bring in.
Old May 12, 2018, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver

None of the properties nor Marriott corporate have said Rewarding Events will be changed. I have $75,000 in meetings in August alone and another $75,000 out of RFPs between now and the end of the year.
Old May 12, 2018, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i actually do need to book a conference room for a mediation later this month....i was thinking of doing it at a spg property but now i'm tempted to try this out at a marriott property instead....i wonder if anyone has booked a meeting room at any property in india & received the points & 10 night credit????
Old May 12, 2018, 1:22 pm

None of the properties nor Marriott corporate have said Rewarding Events will be changed. I have $75,000 in meetings in August alone and another $75,000 out of RFPs between now and the end of the year.
When you spoke to someone at Marriott corporate, did you have this language available? The quoted language from members.marriott.com regarding "the new Rewarding Events structure" and "the new Rewarding Events construct" and the reference to varying points being awarded based on status, seem to indicate that there will be changes post August 1st. If the language was addressed solely to the people who had booked meetings under SPG, I'd think it would be different. But maybe not. With that much booked, I'd think you'd be able to get someone to explain why, if there aren't going to be changes, the language talks about the "new" program.
Old May 12, 2018, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
When you spoke to someone at Marriott corporate, did you have this language available? The quoted language from members.marriott.com regarding "the new Rewarding Events structure" and "the new Rewarding Events construct" and the reference to varying points being awarded based on status, seem to indicate that there will be changes post August 1st. If the language was addressed solely to the people who had booked meetings under SPG, I'd think it would be different. But maybe not. With that much booked, I'd think you'd be able to get someone to explain why, if there aren't going to be changes, the language talks about the "new" program.
Yes, I did. From what I gathered, the only substantive change is the folding in of SPG's SPG Pro. I did tell my contacts that I won't sign anything for after August 1 without knowing the new program.
Old May 12, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Yes, I did. From what I gathered, the only substantive change is the folding in of SPG's SPG Pro. I did tell my contacts that I won't sign anything for after August 1 without knowing the new program.
It would be a pretty weak move from the MR team to chabge the terms to bookings allready made... Most people who book meetings for a living may not appreciate that!
Old May 13, 2018, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What you quoted doesn't mention 10 elite nights at all.

That's the part that seems to be changing in August. According to something else quoted upthread, it said that effective August 1 Rewarding Events would earn 10 elite nights only for the first event each year, and 1 elite night for subsequent events. Has this since been contradicted, or simply never answered? It's not sufficient to ask "will we still get 10 elite credits for a meeting after August 1", you would have to ask "will we still get 10 elite credit for every meeting after August 1"? Only such a question could get at whether there will indeed by a cap of 1 meeting (for earning 10) or not.

Btw, the confusion seems to be that SPG's equivalent of Rewarding Events worked differently, and questions+answers coming from the SPG side don't even ask about 10 elite nights, since that was never available on the SPG side.

Last edited by sdsearch; May 13, 2018 at 9:40 am
Old May 13, 2018, 10:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sdsearch
According to something else quoted upthread, it said that effective August 1 Rewarding Events would earn 10 elite nights only for the first event each year, and 1 elite night for subsequent events. Has this since been contradicted, or simply never answered?
As others said, that would be a massive devaluation and would cost Marriott significant business from legit event and meeting planners.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.