Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2017, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
It's not carryover; if you earn Platinum during 2018, you earn it for 2019, and get the rest of 2018 as a bonus.

Carryover would be getting 150 nights in 2018, carrying 75 of them over to 2019 and staying Platinum through 2020 as a result.

Would it make any difference if one would earn it in between 1st Jan - 31st Jan 2018 and after 1st Feb of 2018?

If say i was able to earn 75 night between 1st Jan -31st Jan, would it mean that my Plat status would last me till 2020 Feb?
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by calbino
Would it make any difference if one would earn it in between 1st Jan - 31st Jan 2018 and after 1st Feb of 2018?

If say i was able to earn 75 night between 1st Jan -31st Jan, would it mean that my Plat status would last me till 2020 Feb?
Earning it any time during 2018 gets all of 2019 (and a little of 2020).
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:18 pm

I have 25 nights so far this year, 5 upcoming next week. That gets me to 30. No rollover from last year. Will all 30 roll over into 2018?

I have a credit card, I thought I received 15 nights for that, but I have not seen any this year.

If the credit card gives me 15+my 30, 10 credits in a meeting room will push me to gold. But I guess I am reaching here.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:37 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
First 10 go towards silver status with the remainder rolled over (for the last time)

Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti
I have 25 nights so far this year, 5 upcoming next week. That gets me to 30. No rollover from last year. Will all 30 roll over into 2018?

I have a credit card, I thought I received 15 nights for that, but I have not seen any this year.

If the credit card gives me 15+my 30, 10 credits in a meeting room will push me to gold. But I guess I am reaching here.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by returnoftheyeti

Also need to know your current status. Rollover nights exceed your current status and not what you will have next year. If you are Silver now then only those over 10 and under 50 will rollover. If you hit 50 to make Gold (or granted Gold for being close), then only those nights over 50 and under 75 will rollover.

This is the last year rollover nights will be issued (unless they change their minds).
Old Dec 19, 2017, 11:32 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Anyone have success with nights posting by using the online reservation form (as opposed to going through the quote process)? Turns out I need to do a quick business meeting with someone before the end of the year and I figure I might as well try to get the elite night credits if I do it at a Marriott-family hotel. I put my information into the online form that lets me book a room now, but on the terms and conditions page before entering my payment information, there's no reference to an elite night credit, although I do have to add my MR number on the payment page. (I assume this would be the contract? Or would the property follow up separately with a different contract?)
Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by ryw
Anyone have success with nights posting by using the online reservation form (as opposed to going through the quote process)? Turns out I need to do a quick business meeting with someone before the end of the year and I figure I might as well try to get the elite night credits if I do it at a Marriott-family hotel. I put my information into the online form that lets me book a room now, but on the terms and conditions page before entering my payment information, there's no reference to an elite night credit, although I do have to add my MR number on the payment page. (I assume this would be the contract? Or would the property follow up separately with a different contract?)
Yes, that's the contract, more or less. Marriott will send you an automated email with the contract terms. If you scroll down, you'll see your MR # on it.

Some properties with follow up with a food & beverage banquet/event order ($0 if not ordered), and some of those will ask for a signed order sent back to them for confirmation. Some properties may send a separate CC authorization form, others will use the booking info. Some will follow up with you to confirm/finalize details of room layout, etc.

Rest assured, booking through online book now does count towards the Rewarding Events program.^
ryw likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 3:35 pm

Booked a recent mtg thru usual quoting process - didn't get a contract, so much as a credit card form to fill out. Hotel assures me they entered it through the Group Posting Tool, and I've seen MRewards post bonus rewards points, but not qualifying nights. Who do I call - the hotel, or Marriott Rewards - to chase down the nights?
Old Dec 19, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by NDS88
Booked a recent mtg thru usual quoting process - didn't get a contract, so much as a credit card form to fill out. Hotel assures me they entered it through the Group Posting Tool, and I've seen MRewards post bonus rewards points, but not qualifying nights. Who do I call - the hotel, or Marriott Rewards - to chase down the nights?
I think the SOP is to wait a few days for nights to post. You didn't specify how long you've waited.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by ralphs
I think the SOP is to wait a few days for nights to post. You didn't specify how long you've waited.
7-8 business days. What's concerning is that it posted to my rewards account as points yesterday - with a description of just the hotel name and "bonus" at the end, nothing about "rewarding events" - but no sign of the nights. If they happen as staggered events no worries, just hadn't seen other posts to that effect.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
7-8 business days. What's concerning is that it posted to my rewards account as points yesterday - with a description of just the hotel name and "bonus" at the end, nothing about "rewarding events" - but no sign of the nights. If they happen as staggered events no worries, just hadn't seen other posts to that effect.
In my experience, the nights and points posted at the same time. I also got an email titled, "Award Posted: Rewarding Events Group Posting Tool."
Old Dec 19, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
My meeting posted as an 'event', not 'bonus'. I'd contact the hotel and have them repost it correctly.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by jeanie
If you were talking to a sales rep, the next step is to talk to the sales manager. I would probably call during the day when the hotel general manager should be around. Talk to the hotel general manager, and ask for advice on how to proceed. If the hotel manager gives you the run around, just ask the hotel manager for the name of the sales manager/supervisor of the rep you were dealing with.

In some of these situations, the sales office is separate from the hotel. So the hotel GM and the sales manager could be different people in different locations.
I talked to GM and they got the meeting posted correctly.
Thanks
Old Dec 21, 2017, 10:23 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat Marriott Gold HHGold UA Silver
I am a pinch shy for Gold this year and I am booking a meeting at a local SpringHill Suites to bridge that gap.

I am curious how are they about you showing up to these "meeting" or is just paying for them ok? I would take it to Plat if I could do it with out the hassle of actually going to the property.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 4:47 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by ethan76
I am a pinch shy for Gold this year and I am booking a meeting at a local SpringHill Suites to bridge that gap.

I am curious how are they about you showing up to these "meeting" or is just paying for them ok? I would take it to Plat if I could do it with out the hassle of actually going to the property.
No need to talk to them about showing up or not - they rarely would know or care. They'll just assume you came and went unless you suggest otherwise. It's not like they want to monitor you. Just agree to a price, get and sign the contract, and be sure they use the posting tool to post your points within a business day or two. That posting triggers the 10 EQNs to show up immediately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.