Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Old Sep 7, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by NDS88
Is this bonus even still active? Thought promo page was pulled from Marriott's web site.
https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I just got an invite to a customer appreciation party at the hotel where I booked my meeting. Sadly, I'm in Boston and the hotel is in Oregon, so I'm not going to be able to make it.

Mike
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: LH FTL
Will the elite qualifying nights count for the Platinum Challenge? (I am afraid not, but just asking)
Old Sep 23, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by FlyDUS
Will the elite qualifying nights count for the Platinum Challenge? (I am afraid not, but just asking)
Sorry, no.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 12:41 pm

I'm at the weird (but not for FT) position where I went from 0 lifetime nights to 65 nights this year. That leaves me 10 to hit Platinum.

I have one more night planned for the rest of the year. Based in Vancouver, Canada. Am I right in saying booking one two hour meeting is my best bet to hit Plat? Any specific experience doing so in Vancouver?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 12:47 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Nazdoom
I'm at the weird (but not for FT) position where I went from 0 lifetime nights to 65 nights this year. That leaves me 10 to hit Platinum.

I have one more night planned for the rest of the year. Based in Vancouver, Canada. Am I right in saying booking one two hour meeting is my best bet to hit Plat? Any specific experience doing so in Vancouver?
It doesn't really need to be in Vancouver.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP

Some have reported being able to book a meeting at a fairly cheap property and not show up but still get the credit. Do you have CC nights coming? Other earned nights. How about setting up a meeting at your next stay? Remember, award nights count for tier status too.

Also, if you want to play the rollover game, if you don't have Plat status now, keeping the nights just under 75 will get you rollover nights next year.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:01 pm

Thanks for the replies. I imagine my best shot would be in Vancouver because I can do it whenever; I've exhausted two months abroad this year and have no further travel for the next 6 months at least.

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Some have reported being able to book a meeting at a fairly cheap property and not show up but still get the credit. Do you have CC nights coming? Other earned nights. How about setting up a meeting at your next stay? Remember, award nights count for tier status too.

Also, if you want to play the rollover game, if you don't have Plat status now, keeping the nights just under 75 will get you rollover nights next year.
I got 15 CC nights credited this year already but the only Marriott card in Canada has now left the market so I can't reapply. Can't get US cards in foreseeable future.

I've spent all my points and redeemed 46 nights this year across four continents. It looks to me as if booking a meeting is my best bet. I can try at my upcoming stay at Hong Kong Courtyard (included in my 65 nights total). Should I call Marriott or just ask the hotel directly? If it's market-based pricing, I might be well advised to book in Vancouver at the lowest of low seasons.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by stc
It doesn't really need to be in Vancouver.
And it doesn't need to be 2 hours.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Is Platinum status worth $400-$450?

Self moved to a more appropriate thread.

Last edited by Diplomatico; Sep 25, 2017 at 9:50 am
Old Oct 12, 2017, 5:20 am

Hi can anyone recommend a hotel with a cheap meeting room without any hassle. Please PM me
thanks ahead of time
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: DL, AA, US, AC, Marriott Platinum, HHhonors Silver (Woo Hoo!)

Sorry for the late reply, but have you considered a property in Bellingham such as the Fairfield Inn?
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat Marriott Gold HHGold UA Silver
I fell to Gold but this seems like a great way to get back to Plat, which I would link to my UA MileagePlus acct to gain silver again.

I would love any tips on a good low cost venue to book if you can shoot me a PM. If they require some one to show up; I will be in Houston, NYC, Panama City and Tampa in the next month.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:51 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
The Wiki says I should get a contract. When I did my search, some hotels let me me reserve a room directly by clicking on the reserve button. Should I call for a contract? Or will they send me a contract anyway?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 5:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by naumank
The Wiki says I should get a contract. When I did my search, some hotels let me me reserve a room directly by clicking on the reserve button. Should I call for a contract? Or will they send me a contract anyway?
100% get a contract.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.