Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2010, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SacTownGuy
The number of people that utilize fake meetings to gain MR status is so insignificant I don't think Marriott cares.
But even if it was a significant number do you think Marriott would care?

The way I see it is they get extra $ for meeting rooms that would have been empty.

They are giving night credit, which honestly if you are not staying enough to hit gold or plat then the status isn't costing them too much at all.

IMHO I think Marriott would be pleased with people paying for meeting rooms, used or not. YMMV
Old Nov 5, 2010, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by annerj

The way I see it is they get extra $ for meeting rooms that would have been empty.

They are giving night credit, which honestly if you are not staying enough to hit gold or plat then the status isn't costing them too much at all.

IMHO I think Marriott would be pleased with people paying for meeting rooms, used or not. YMMV
+1. Agree totally.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 2:01 pm

I agree with the above post. My point is only that people are "debating" this issue, if it's morally right/wrong, if Marriott intended/didn't intend, and if the person should have called Marriott, etc... and I am just saying this is so small it's not even an "issue" to Marriott. They just don't care. We, on flyertalk, put a premium value on status but 99% of the travelers don't care. Shoot, a high percentage of people don't even collect miles/points (shocks me to think it but I know it's true)! I had a real meeting and it was great. I am glad I knew of this deal. It cemented my plat status! Otherwise was going to be close.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott PLT
Good Rates

In the spirit of sharing, I'd like to know if anyone has genuinely achieved $100 for a room.

If so, how long was the meeting, what Marriott property, etc etc.

I have 15 week long stays planned for next year and I really want to max on the meeting rooms while minimizing on the cost. There are quite a few Marriott properties near the location I'll be at.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA-Gold AA-Gold, Marriott Lifetime Tit. Elite
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse

That was uncalled for and hopefully you understand flyertalk Karma because what goes around comes around. Mental note, add calitequilasippergirl to my blacklist. Normally this is for CC but now I will never answer any of your posts and if I do it will be with incorrect information.
Aside from the great chuckle I got from that comment above when I read your screen name....I'm putting you on my "I love you man" list.

As I mentioned before I've reached Plat "the hard way". With that said...what does Marriott gain/lose in this 'deal'??

Gain:
-Meeting $$$
-Perhaps a "sticky" MR member who will continue to stay at a Marriott property b/c of this --> more $$$

"Lost":
- 10 EQNs (can't really say this has a value...lost or gained to Marriott, you can't turn them in for cash, etc)

-some food in the concierge lounge

-some MR points from a "fake" silver/gold/plat. status (though this assume $$$ were spent on a room, so is this a loss really if it gen'd a stay??)

-Someone who doesn't get a conf. room(course, sounds like the property could raise conf. room rates, so unless absolute cheapest, I doubt a person using the above would be having a 'fake' conference at this property in the grand scheme

Other gains/losses I'm missing?? I only fully check FT every 2 weeks, so I must be busier than the tattle tale.

As with every promotion, be it CC, hotel, car rental, etc....a company expects a certain %age of "abusers". If they don't..then they haven't been in business very long or are not keeping a close eye on their promotions. And if you think Marriott isn't keeping a close eye on their programs, etc...that person needs to wake-up and smell the coffee. In the grand scheme of things...the # of ppl who would/will/have "abused" this is very very very small.

1. Know of FT
2. Avid reader of most threads, specifically this one
3. Staying at Marriott properties and/or concerned about MR status
4. Have hundreds of dollars to pi** away on 'fake' meetings to obtain a status which means NOTHING unless they actually stay at a Marriott....which means revenue for Marriott.

I just don't see the pool of ppl being all that large honestly. And to happen to run into a "fake Plat" during a stay....really pretty remote in my mind....so, it's a big production about NOTHING. And even if you do...how in the hell does it affect another, short of maybe not getting first dibs on the quality concierge food..of which there ALWAYS seems to be plenty available...and leftover for that matter.

Last edited by dgoedken; Nov 7, 2010 at 3:53 pm
Old Nov 8, 2010, 8:40 am

so, it's a big production about NOTHING.

Exactly my thought. You did a better overall analysis but in the end I have the exact same conclusion. The raw number of people who will have fake meetings to gain status will be extremely small.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:41 am

Programs: LT Marriott Uber Titanium; From US CP to dirt (Its been a while)
Any new non-catering & non-overnight experiences regarding the 10 nights?

I have an 8am-5pm room on a Saturday that I need to finalize this week. Sales lady said she didn't think I'd get nights when I asked. Cost was $150.

And people would be there for you flamers. Though I could probably do this internally if not for the nights
Old Nov 9, 2010, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ackpfft
Though I could probably do this internally if not for the nights
Exactly why marriott is running the deal I'd say!
^
Old Nov 9, 2010, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
to my blacklist
Originally Posted by dgoedken
on my "I love you man" list.
I obviously need more lists
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:32 am

FYI- I did a test "meeting" this week. It was intended to be a real meeting but plans changed. It was $100 at a local CY. No food. I did not show up and have a "fake" meeting as others have wasted time doing. Points and elite nights have posted. Simply emailed with local CY rep, signed contract, gave credit card, emailed back, and waited for the points/nights to roll in. It actually makes the risk of cancelled meeting so much better. Sure the meeting was cancelled so the business side is a bummer but I got something out of the deal!
Old Nov 10, 2010, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA 1P; Marriott Platinum
Another success

I was able to tack on a morning meeting to an existing reservation at a CY in San Diego - $50/2 hours and 10 nights hit my account!
Old Nov 10, 2010, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler, Skymiles GM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite
Meetings

I was able to negotiate a $100 rate at a local CY, no rooms, no catering, no equipment. I had to sign the Meeting Planner contract, and I provided both my MR number as well as my MR Visa as payment. The room is unlocked and you can come and go as you please, no checkout and no payment at the end required.

I confirmed in advance that I should get the 3x points as well as 10 nights credit, but it has not yet posted to my account. They said 4-7 business days delay.

I have five more dates scheduled over the next 4 weeks, and I was sure to tell the Event Manager that I was flexible on my dates in case she got a last minute full rate request for the conference room. In fact some of the dates I booked are AFTER they have already had another meeting in the room during the daytime (I requested 5-9pm).

I feel about as guilty about taking advantage of this offer as I do about the 52K Delta MQM I racked up on a double-points Sydney MR. It's a win/win.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by annerj

Dead on. I'm only guessing, but the profit margin on these meeting rooms is probably much higher than it is when renting a sleeping room. In the extreme when someone gets a room for, say $120, and doesn't do a thing with it, Marriott is probably netting ~$12/EQN. When EQNs are awarded to someone who stays, say 15 times per year, they have little cost and even at $12 each, are probably profitable. Also, many people are bound to use this promo in a manner that isn't bare bones, perhaps spending $350 for a bit of catering or $500 to tack on a couple of rooms. The margin might go down, but the absolute profit is probably greater, so there might be $15-$20 profit/EQN here. Again, probably worth it for Marriott. I can't see many, if any. circumstances where Marriott doesn't end up ahead, and if I'm correct, then it's not really a "loophole" and there is no such thing as an "illegitimate" use of the promo.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Alright!
I have NEVER had a meeting at a Marriott property before. Our small meetings 10 or less people are held in libraries and other government buildings. Sometimes churches. That is now going to change. I am going to offer to provide the room and pay for it at the nearest Marriott property.

I have always had my larger meetings at Hilton properties. They are now going to be moved to the nearest Marriott property. I thought I would never have a reason to use Marriott, now I do!

As for deal killers, I don't want to know you or share with you. For those of you that are in this to maximize every possible deal, let us be friends. PM or Facebook, I am good with that.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 10:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
I am green to Marriott and I got some question for this ...

I am going to have a 10 night stay next week in Shanghai and want to take advantage of this ... did anyone tried it in China? are the USD 100 per 2 hour kind of norm for meeting room only package? I am planning to have regular stay with the Courtyard Marriott in Shanghai under corporate rate, which frequently a longish stay that they offer free upgrade to exec floor with Internet, so does it still justify the use of this promotion (namely ... just the bonus points, which I need 4 "meetings" to make it)?

I am under miles program which I may switch to point if earning is better :P

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.