Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2010, 3:12 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL Silver
Springhill Suites? I didn't think of those, more of the full service Marriotts. That is a great idea - did you just call and have them email or mail you a contract? Do you have to physically check into the meeting room?
Old Oct 30, 2010, 10:24 am

Programs: AA LT GLD, UA SLV, MR LT PLT PRM, HH DIA, IHG PLT, SW CP, MVCI CHM LVL, HERTZ PC, National EE
Originally. they were going to e-mail a contract to fax back. I asked if I could respond to an e-mail. They e-mailed the terms and I responded back accepting the terms. I did show up b/c I wanted to scope out the situation for future "meetings." One reason I used this location is they book direct. Most of the CYs and Res Inns in my area are centrally booked by Marriott. That means less opportunity to get a good price. BTW, they put my name on the door!
Old Oct 31, 2010, 4:25 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL Silver
I think I know which hotel that is - it's only about 20 minutes from my house (if it's near BWI, where I fly out of mostly).

I may look into that, to boost my husband's nights next year (he's going to have the 75 again this year, after our Interval International getaway to Orlando before Christmas at the Marriott Harbor Lake - 7 nights in a 2br for only $300).

I could meet a girlfriend and bring lunch and use the room I guess!

If you didn't show, but still paid, would you get the points or the night credits? I'd be afraid to be charged but get no credits.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 6:18 pm

If you didn't show, but still paid, would you get the points or the night credits? I'd be afraid to be charged but get no credits.

I would be shocked if you had to show up to get the credit. This is a deal aimed at business professionals who book meeting space. Stuff happens sometimes and meetings get cancelled last minute. I would almost guarantee you don't have to show up to get credit.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I'm amused...

I work for a decent size company. My immediate department is small, and we actually do have need for an off-site meeting. After reading this thread, I started considering a local Courtyard because this would be a win-win. The department gets to hold its meeting and I'd get the elite nights. I'm willing to cover a small out of pocket cost (which would in turn be tax deductible for me).

The funny thing is that my company is a very good customer of many local businesses. So, when I called the local Courtyard, the person in charge of booking events offered to comp the meeting room (no charge) for a short (2 hour) meeting as a courtesy. It was a very kind offer.

But that probably won't work for me... I just can't imagine I'd get elite night credit for a no cost event.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
Originally Posted by mikesimm
The meeting was booked for last Saturday. The Elite night credit of 10 nights was in my account on Monday.
Did you show up for the meeting?
Old Nov 2, 2010, 6:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
A few initial questions before the eye roller poster comments

1. So I take it you have to register as a meeting planner? How do you do this?
2. I’m still confused whether you can or can not book this online
3. Can I legitimately book for one as say one would need a C/R to use for a couple hours, heck I could even do my work there for a couple hours
4. Has there been any issue when asked what kind of catering and you say NONE
5. What are some of the rates you folks are getting?
6. Minimum hours to book? Is it one, two, more?
thanks
7. I presume a saturday would count as well; hmmm a College football watching party

Originally Posted by calitequilasippergirl
I took the liberty of contacting Marriott about this and this was NOT an intentional loophole. The purpose of this was to encourage REAL meeting planners to use Marriott properties for their needs, not for people to make fake meetings to earn nights at an extremely discounted rate. I am sure the loophole will close soon
That was uncalled for and hopefully you understand flyertalk Karma because what goes around comes around. Mental note, add calitequilasippergirl to my blacklist. Normally this is for CC but now I will never answer any of your posts and if I do it will be with incorrect information.
Originally Posted by username
I think a title like this would have caught the eyes of Marriott Concierge. So, do not give calitequilasippergirl a hard time.
Still, whether intentional or not, if it is offered and it works, I would not call it a scam to take advantage of it. That is the whole point of FT
I agree, I can’t see how MC didn’t see this. However to not give that *insert adjective I can’t use here* poster a hard time b/c MC probably saw this doesn’t cut it; anyone who does what that ** poster did has really cut into the heart of the unwritten rules of FT and in my book gets no sympathy.. ever

shame on me???????? ROFLMAO
It's ok, it takes all kinds to make the world go round.
Yep SHAME on you.. and unfortunately its this type that I wish weren’t on FT
On the contrary, it is for me (and everyone else) so I'll be staying. Everyone is entitled to their opinions. I'm sorry that mine apparently bothers you so much. Feel free to contact me in PM to discuss further.
Be careful what you wish for and yes everyone is entitled to their opinions and that’s cool but you crossed the line with your phone call

Annerj
In my opinion, as humble or unhumble as it may be, it is not 'fair' for someone to book a meeting for a few hours with NO intent of having the meeting (not showing, or sitting in the room by yourself) and get Platinum for 10-20 bucks a night.
If you are booking legitimate meetings, my opinion has aboslutely NO problem with that, as you are using the program for it's INTENDED reason.

I don't see how 'phony' meeting bookings simply to accumulate nights provides any additional value to Marriott.

Just my thoughts.
I’d have to agree with others it does appear that you are quite upset that you have to pay, stay, sleep in a MR bed and earn Plat the traditional way; if you are a PP then you have nothing to worry about. One questions whether you really are PP

Sorry the delay in response, needy clients
What's your opinion of "phony" orders placed to meet the qualification criteria for various airline promotions that require purchases from various stores? What about "mistake fares" and the people who book them? What do you think of companies that purposefully announce promotions with the intent of creating a flurry of sales from bargain hunters, even though it knows it's a loss-leader?
For someone with needy clients, you have plenty of time for this thread
Its not phony if you pay for it and show up; just b/c I go to safeway and buy their four twelvepacks of diet coke for $2.50 each and buy nothing else; doesn’t make it a phoney transaction even though Safeway’s intent was for me to come in and buy other things with it at a more profitable price.
Originally Posted by saintd
i might have an issue with the 'fake' meetings as well. we often use marriott for legit meetings and often have to change our first choice of dates because meeting rooms weren't available. these meetings are generally 20-30 with some attrition and a $2k room rental, catering and a/v spend.
Having an issue is not a problem; calling MR is a huge problem
[QUOTE=calitequilasippergirl;14753959]If you can't contribute to the conversation, don't post. We all have opinions and we are all entitled to share them in a mature manner which I and others have done. If you don't like my opinion, that's fine, but to tell me mine is not needed is out of line. This thread was about getting points/nights for meetings. Which I think is a great program when used correctly. I responded to those who indicated incorrect use of the program (joking or real). I don't claim to be 'more moral', i simply shared my opinion. It it appears moral, so be it. It's been a great conversation with intelligent back and forth. Let's leave it that way. Look in the mirror; calling in is not contributing to the site, never mind the post. As stated above, having an opinion is fine, calling in is not. Yes you are out of line, plain and simple. Now you are even trying to apply your own definition of how a program is supposed to be used and if you don’t like it you call in to complain. You sure are inferring you are more moral than others.
Dg....

You misread my post and took it out of context. This had absolutely nothing to do with those that are really booking meetingsnor are encouraged to book meetings because of the promo. That is the TRUE intention of the offer after all. My issue was with those who had no intention of booking a real meeting. They alluded to the fact that they would book a fake meeting for as cheap as possible just to gain the ten nights. Effectively gaining 10 nights for a 200 dollar spend when if they had actually stayed those nights they would have spent 1k (give or take). That was never marriotts intent.
Continue to flame. I have to say, I am glad I don't know some of you in 'real' life.
Do you sit in on Marriott’s meetings to know their intent? I suppose you know congresses intent of every bill passed as well. Do you know that Marriott didn’t say here is the down side of our promo and then decided that the amount of people who may not use the promo the way that they are intending is small enough that they will still go ahead with the promo… how exactly do you know what went on in that meeting?
Old Nov 2, 2010, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA-LEP,United-1K Again!, USAIR-CHRMN, MW Plat Prem, SW-Gold, Hilton-Silver, Hertz-Platnium
Blacklist me to your hearts delight.

Kudos to those who used this function for the purpose it was created for. More revenue for the hotel and a perk for you out of it as well!

As a business owner, I would hope someone would bring this to my attention, if something was inadvertedly structured in a manner that I did not intend and taking advantage of it could cost me significant business losses. That's what I did. Nothing more, nothing less. I haven't followed up on it.

MANY people agree with me and have PMed me about it.

Karma - ya, I know what it is. Obviously some of you don't.

I have plenty of time for this thread???? LOL. I check it once a week, at best. Whatever
Old Nov 2, 2010, 1:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Blacklist me to your hearts delight.
Done

Kudos to those who used this function for the purpose it was created for. More revenue for the hotel and a perk for you out of it as well!

As a business owner, I would hope someone would bring this to my attention, if something was inadvertedly structured in a manner that I did not intend and taking advantage of it could cost me significant business losses. That's what I did. Nothing more, nothing less. I haven't followed up on it.
significant business losses.. oh my.. now its really piling up in the outhouse

MANY people agree with me and have PMed me about it.
sure

Karma - ya, I know what it is. Obviously some of you don't.
great come back

I have plenty of time for this thread???? LOL. I check it once a week, at best. Whatever
bold my emphasis

the all encompassing answer when either you know you are wrong or your my nine y.o. kid who says that when he can't come up with something better LMAO and shaking my head at the same time
Old Nov 3, 2010, 7:47 am

Programs: AA-LEP,United-1K Again!, USAIR-CHRMN, MW Plat Prem, SW-Gold, Hilton-Silver, Hertz-Platnium
Ok
Old Nov 3, 2010, 9:55 am

Programs: AA LT GLD, UA SLV, MR LT PLT PRM, HH DIA, IHG PLT, SW CP, MVCI CHM LVL, HERTZ PC, National EE
Wow. I thought FT was all about sharing helpful tips related to travel - hotels, airlines, rental cars, destinations, etc. including the maximization of legitimate (read: legal) opportunities to leverage that travel for perks. I did not realize that we were supposed to feel bad for doing this. Now, asking a question on FT on these subjects without checking the threads first - that, one should be ridiculed for!
Old Nov 4, 2010, 10:26 am

Programs: M&M,UA MP Silver, MR LT Titanium, HH Gold
Well, I'd booked three small meetings (five people, no overnights, no or basic catering, 120 min each) in three different European cities in December already before I discovered this thread. Requalifying for Gold with hotel stays will be done end of November, but if I get 10 Elite nights for each meeting Plat is on it's way! I'll report - stay tuned...
Old Nov 4, 2010, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold (MM), WN A-List, Fairmont L/T Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by happymommy
Springhill Suites? I didn't think of those, more of the full service Marriotts. That is a great idea - did you just call and have them email or mail you a contract? Do you have to physically check into the meeting room?
Up for a MR (Meeting Run)?
Old Nov 5, 2010, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by o2bonn
Wow. I thought FT was all about sharing helpful tips related to travel - hotels, airlines, rental cars, destinations, etc. including the maximization of legitimate (read: legal) opportunities to leverage that travel for perks. I did not realize that we were supposed to feel bad for doing this....
I agree. The folks at Marriott are big boys and girls. If they put out a poorly designed promotion and people take unfair or unintended advantage of it, that's for Marriott to either endure or correct. We Flyertalkers have no obligation to look out for Marriott or solve their problem -- if they even regard it as one, which is far from certain.

Most of all, we shouldn't snipe at each other. We can disagree, even strongly disagree, without becoming hostile. That's not helpful at all.

Bruce
Old Nov 5, 2010, 8:24 am

The number of people that utilize fake meetings to gain MR status is so insignificant I don't think Marriott cares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.