FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1121221-platinum-status-eight-days-800-no-stays-required.html)

o2bonn Oct 22, 10 3:45 pm

Ok, so as I write this I am sitting a very nice "executive boardroom" reading the USA Today and reading FT. I called the MR customer support line to see if they could see the charge. They said that meeting recordation and crediting takes a little longer than for hotel stays. Being 11 nights short of PLT, the 10 night credit is crucial to me. So, here's hoping another classic FT recommedation pays off. First, it was MR trips to HNL with 2 hour turnarounds, then it was coins, and now I'm holding 1 person meetings. :o (Wifes shakes head ....)

calitequilasippergirl Oct 23, 10 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by spsawant (Post 14834079)
+1

You are right on target. She was simply jealous.

Lol. Jealous of what?

calitequilasippergirl Oct 23, 10 2:26 pm

Dg....

You misread my post and took it out of context. This had absolutely nothing to do with those that are really booking meetingsnor are encouraged to book meetings because of the promo. That is the TRUE intention of the offer after all. My issue was with those who had no intention of booking a real meeting. They alluded to the fact that they would book a fake meeting for as cheap as possible just to gain the ten nights. Effectively gaining 10 nights for a 200 dollar spend when if they had actually stayed those nights they would have spent 1k (give or take). That was never marriotts intent.
Continue to flame. I have to say, I am glad I don't know some of you in 'real' life.

Originally Posted by dgoedken (Post 14952002)
Quote:
Originally Posted by calitequilasippergirl View Post

I took the liberty of contacting Marriott about this and this was NOT an intentional loophole.
You have got to be kidding me - though I have never done this - and didnt even get the nights/points on a legitimate catering event. I would never contact Marriot about it

This is the time I have reserved words I use for someone who thinks they know what's best for everyone else. Not that I intend to book 'fake' meetings, as I easily get Plat via stays, but why go to the trouble to screw over fellow FTers who have legitimate reasons for booking meetings??

Someone should have their account revoked for 60days until they can play nice with the rest of the forum and honor the code.

boomdog Oct 23, 10 4:46 pm

I've got to say, I've grown to love calitequilasippergirl.

I'm honestly not being sarcastic at all. She is larger than life. A force of nature. A platonic form, indeed. I would be honored to meet her in 'real' life someday.

boomdog

Originally Posted by calitequilasippergirl (Post 15000120)
Dg....

You misread my post and took it out of context. This had absolutely nothing to do with those that are really booking meetingsnor are encouraged to book meetings because of the promo. That is the TRUE intention of the offer after all. My issue was with those who had no intention of booking a real meeting. They alluded to the fact that they would book a fake meeting for as cheap as possible just to gain the ten nights. Effectively gaining 10 nights for a 200 dollar spend when if they had actually stayed those nights they would have spent 1k (give or take). That was never marriotts intent.
Continue to flame. I have to say, I am glad I don't know some of you in 'real' life.

SkyTeam777 Oct 25, 10 11:53 am

Originally Posted by o2bonn (Post 14995289)
Ok, so as I write this I am sitting a very nice "executive boardroom" reading the USA Today and reading FT. I called the MR customer support line to see if they could see the charge. They said that meeting recordation and crediting takes a little longer than for hotel stays. Being 11 nights short of PLT, the 10 night credit is crucial to me. So, here's hoping another classic FT recommedation pays off. First, it was MR trips to HNL with 2 hour turnarounds, then it was coins, and now I'm holding 1 person meetings. :o (Wifes shakes head ....)

Keep us posted on what happens. So meeting rooms always require a contract to be signed? Or can one book through the hotel without a contract and still receive the ten nights?

I often book at an area CY property a room block of 30 rooms for 3 nights and always get the 10 elite nights credit. No conference room required. So this will be a nice little benefit if the 10 elite nights can also be earned for a separate "event" of a one-hour conference room rental. Is there a mininum time limit specified or does that vary by hotel?

mikesimm Oct 25, 10 1:15 pm

It worked.

Booked the meeting room for two hours on Saturday. No catering. No guest rooms. $100.00

My account was credited today for 300 MR points AND 10 Elite nights.

You can not book this on the web site. You have to be sent a contract to sign and return. But it's an easy process.

SacTownGuy Oct 25, 10 2:05 pm

"... and in other news Marriott's booking of conference rooms at Courtyards and Fairfields Inn has shot up 8,000% since last month...."

b33blebrox Oct 27, 10 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by mikesimm (Post 15010395)
It worked.

Booked the meeting room for two hours on Saturday. No catering. No guest rooms. $100.00

My account was credited today for 300 MR points AND 10 Elite nights.

You can not book this on the web site. You have to be sent a contract to sign and return. But it's an easy process.

Did you show up for the meeting?

How long did it take from your meeting to when the points and nights were logged.

I'm sat in my meeting room right now, but then I was already staying at the hotel. And you're right, I signed the contract and it took me a couple of minutes.

dingo Oct 27, 10 6:59 pm

Ugh. Did a last minute meeting in the local Courtyard. Went to settle up, asked about the points / meeting matters promo and the GM said "I'm just going to manually post the points like I would if you had stayed here." I didn't press, but I guess I need to move out of the suburban courtyards to get this done the right way.

mikesimm Oct 28, 10 11:16 am

The meeting was booked for last Saturday. The Elite night credit of 10 nights was in my account on Monday.

b33blebrox Oct 28, 10 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by mikesimm (Post 15030942)
The meeting was booked for last Saturday. The Elite night credit of 10 nights was in my account on Monday.

I had my meeting last night. Received the folio by email this morning and the 10 night credits are now in my account.

Now to find the cheapest possible meeting space...

SkyTeam777 Oct 28, 10 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by dingo (Post 15027089)
Ugh. Did a last minute meeting in the local Courtyard. Went to settle up, asked about the points / meeting matters promo and the GM said "I'm just going to manually post the points like I would if you had stayed here." I didn't press, but I guess I need to move out of the suburban courtyards to get this done the right way.

Did you sign a contract with them? If so, then it should count properly, simply fax it in?

o2bonn Oct 29, 10 10:25 am

[QUOTE=SkyTeam777;15009783]Keep us posted on what happens. So meeting rooms always require a contract to be signed? Or can one book through the hotel without a contract and still receive the ten nights?

(Angels singing) It worked! ^ $150 + tax = 10 nights and tripled points. I did have to call the hotel to get them to post it. I am now sitting at 74 nights. Damn that lag on the credit card $3k per night crediting! As soon as I get PLT I am getting on the red phone with HH to match. I am alredy GLD with HH but this will lock me in for Diamond (I hope). Thanks to the OP and everyone else for finding yet another way to exploit an opportunity. :D:D:D

happymommy Oct 29, 10 2:14 pm

[QUOTE=o2bonn;15037219]

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 (Post 15009783)
Keep us posted on what happens. So meeting rooms always require a contract to be signed? Or can one book through the hotel without a contract and still receive the ten nights?

(Angels singing) It worked! ^ $150 + tax = 10 nights and tripled points. I did have to call the hotel to get them to post it. I am now sitting at 74 nights. Damn that lag on the credit card $3k per night crediting! As soon as I get PLT I am getting on the red phone with HH to match. I am alredy GLD with HH but this will lock me in for Diamond (I hope). Thanks to the OP and everyone else for finding yet another way to exploit an opportunity. :D:D:D

HH does staus match? Is it one of those "one year" things to get you to switch, like I heard Starwood does?

Very cool about the credit for you! Where did you have your meeting?

o2bonn Oct 29, 10 5:42 pm

Springhill Suites close to an airport. I had the boardroom. I took all the pens and candy left out on the table - figured I paid for them. :)